Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 3:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Spectator contest »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Spectator contest
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Spectator contest  (Read 2006 times)
Elmo
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #762

Re: Spectator contest
« Reply #15 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 29th, 2008, 12:17pm, mistre wrote:
I might have come in 2nd place in all 4 matches!

Actually, you probably came in at best 3rd in the Fritzlein/Omar match, because I think I should have won, or at least that I should have finished ahead of the displayed winner. I predicted Fritzlein in 60, but for some reason it shows ArifSyed as the winner with 53 moves. Perhaps I am not allowed to predict on the game of a family member?  Undecided
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #16 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 4:27am »

I haven't seen any rule forbidding you to bet on a family member's game, this is very strange.

On the game chessandgo-woh, my score shows 0, while it should show 1 if I understood properly, as I won the game. Did Greg and Toby witness the same problem ?
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #17 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 7:13am »

I was also confused by that, but I reread the rules and found that I am ineligible to predict my own games.  Therefore I cannot win points on them (even if I win).
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #18 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 7:20am »

hmmmm I thought this applied only to the global game prize (plus the fact that a player has to bet on himself), but not to the 1$ bonus. I guess this makes the spectator contest a little bit unprofitable (or par) for the players who go to the end. Never mind ... Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2008, 7:33am by chessandgo » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:16am »

Elmo, you are right. There was a bug in my code. I've fixed it now.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #20 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:56am »

on Mar 1st, 2008, 4:27am, chessandgo wrote:

On the game chessandgo-woh, my score shows 0, while it should show 1 if I understood properly, as I won the game. Did Greg and Toby witness the same problem ?

You should have got a point on that game. I've fixed it.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:23am »

on Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:56am, omar wrote:
You should have got a point on that game. I've fixed it.

So does that mean players are now allowed to predict on their own games?  Does that extend to predicting themselves to lose, and also extend to predicting the correct number of moves (although losing on purpose and winning more slowly on purpose are within a player's control)?  Or is it like the old prediction contest where you can't make a prediction on your own game, but you are rewarded for winning?

Whatever the situation is that gives chessandgo a dollar from his win over woh, it isn't clear from the rules...

[EDIT]

I'm sorry to be arguing against Omar giving away more money, but it just opens a huge can of worms for players to be able to predict on their own games.  Suppose, hypothetically, that I'm facing off against chessandgo for the championship with a $25 prediction prize on the line.  Suppose that I impartially and fairly pick a winner.  Now, when it comes to entering the number of moves, there is a temptation no matter who I chose to win.

If I chose myself to win, I will be tempted to pick myself to win in some high number of moves that nobody guessed, because if I really do get the superior position, I can choose to play ultra-cautiously to draw out the game just long enough.  That way I get the championship prize money and the extra $25 for correct prediction.  

On the other hand, if I chose myself to lose, I will be tempted to pick myself to lose in some short number of moves that nobody guessed, because if I am getting whipped in the opening and am heading for a loss anyway, I can "accidentally" not see chessandgo's goal threat just in time.  That way, if I'm in a terrible position where I'm not going to get the championship money anyway, I will at least get $25 for the correct prediction.

I certainly wouldn't suspect anyone here of manipulating the games to get a few extra bucks in the prediction contest, but just because those scenarios are possible we shouldn't let people bet on their own games.  Just think what happens if chessandgo wins the final game in 53 moves, and by coincidence he had picked himself to win in 53 moves, so he gets the $25.  I would refuse to believe that chessandgo manipulated the result, but it still would look terrible to the outside world.  Chessandgo himself would probably rather not get the prize than have the appearance of having acted in bad faith.

There is a reason professional athletes are not allowed to bet on their own teams, or even on their own sports.  Indeed, I would understand if my wife were disqualified from predicting on my games, even though she never tells me what number of moves she has predicted, or whether she has predicted me or my opponent to win.  I felt awkward when she was closest in move number on my first-round game.

I don't think contests that are free to enter are regulated in the same way that gambling is regulated, but I believe that as soon as you must pay to play it becomes gambling, even though more goes out in prizes than comes in via entry fees.  Especially in that context, I think we should err on the side of caution.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2008, 3:14pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #22 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 4:48pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:23am, Fritzlein wrote:

So does that mean players are now allowed to predict on their own games?  Does that extend to predicting themselves to lose, and also extend to predicting the correct number of moves.

No, in my own games I had no choise. I could only select myself to win and I couldn't set the number of moves. So a player can only get 1$ for getting the result right by winning the game. In that way there not much room for manipulation. But I agree with Fritzlein. It would be better if players are excluded from their own games all together. This was how I understood the rules of the contest: "Note: Players may also register to predict. However players will not be allowed to predict on their own games"
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 5:17pm »

Oh, thanks for the clarification woh.  I didn't register for the spectator contest myself, so I hadn't seen how the interface works.  Maybe the rule could be "Players will not be allowed to predict on their own games, but will be compensated by getting $1 for each game won" or even $1 whether or not they win, or whatever.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #24 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:03pm »

Thanks guys. I've update the rules to make it more clear.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.