Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 Mid-Year Open »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 Mid-Year Open
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 Mid-Year Open  (Read 2101 times)
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

2008 Mid-Year Open
« on: Mar 14th, 2008, 10:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Omar has given me permission to conduct a tournament in June, so I give you the 2008 Arimaa Mid-Year Open.

Format: Single-Elimination Bracketed (w/ Consolation, the extent of which is to be determined)

Time Control: 60s/5m/75/0/4h/4m R

Scheduling: Scheduling will be conducted approximately the same as for the 2008 World Championship. Players will play no more than one game per week. The entire tournament will last no longer than five weeks. Tournament play starts Wednesday, June 4.

Seeding: Players will be seeded by p8 rating as of the current supplement at the registration deadline. Ties will be broken by regular rating. Ties will be further broken by overall win percentage. Ties will be further broken randomly.

Colors: First-week colors will be assigned randomly. After the first week, the player who has the longer streak of playing the same color will play the opposite color. If two players have the same streak, the higher-seeded player will play the opposite color as the preceding week.

Eligibility: All players are eligible to register. However, participation is limited to the first 32 who register. A waiting list will be created if more than 32 players register.

Registration: Players wishing to participate should send their gameroom name and e-mail address to johnherr13@hotmail.com before the registration deadline of 11:00 P.M. GMT (6:00 P.M. CDT) May 25. There is no registration fee.

Hopefully, I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I hope that the do-or-die format will provide for extremely exciting games. If an insufficient number of people register because the (northern hemisphere) summer is a bad time or because of interference with the Postal Mixer, I may try September instead.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2008, 4:58pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

Re: 2008 Mid-Year Open
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 6:13pm »

on Mar 14th, 2008, 10:18am, The_Jeh wrote:

Eligibility: All players are eligible to register. However, players must have a Rating Uncertainty (RU) of 60 or less as of the most current p8 supplement at the registration deadline, or they will be dropped. In addition, participation is limited to the first 32 who register. A waiting list will be created if more than 32 players register.

Just curious: why the RU <= 60 restriction?
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 8:25pm »

on Mar 14th, 2008, 6:13pm, nbarriga wrote:

Just curious: why the RU <= 60 restriction?

Because p8 ratings for established players are readily available. Also, because registration is free, it is a small indicator that the registrant is involved with Arimaa enough that he will actually play.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008, 8:26pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 12:39am »

If you give me the list of players shortly before the start of the tournament, I can generate the P8 ratings of the players for you. So you might want to raise that RU restriction or even remove it.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 4:45pm »

Thanks, Omar. I guess I'll remove the restriction. Hopefully, there will be few forfeiture problems.

Just a question: How can you generate p8 ratings of some players without generating them for all players?
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2008, 4:55pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 9:54am »

I have a script which I run manually passing it the username and it returns the P8 rating of the player.

The script just uses the regular ratings that are stored with the game when it needs to get the opponents rating. To generate true P8 ratings would take a very long time.

IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 3:03pm »

Why single-elimination?
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 6:09pm »

on Mar 16th, 2008, 3:03pm, aaaa wrote:
Why single-elimination?

I would have done a double-elimination bracket, but that would mean eleven rounds as opposed to five, and the winning players would play far fewer rounds than the losers. And I want to try a bracket rather than a floating or Swiss for various reasons, among which are the fact that it hasn't been done for a long time and that it is easy to conduct. And I like the pressure created because every game is do-or-die.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2008, 6:10pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 6:15pm »

Don't you think people will be less motivated to go through all the trouble of registering if they might very well end up playing only one time? It seem to me that given the lack of any registration fee, you have the great opportunity here of bringing about lots of interhuman games, if only the tournament system is chosen wisely. This just screams Swiss style to me, but even if you decry the manipulability of that, surely floating n-tuple elimination would have to be much more preferable than single elimination.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 6:55pm »

One complaint about both elimination and Swiss is the number of mismatches.  In the World Championship preliminaries, Mistre was disappointed that his six rounds were three players significantly higher ranked and three significantly lower, and he didn't get to play any of the people who also finished 3-3, which would have been the most interesting games.

The anti-championship pairing is to try to give everyone six fairly equal games.  The way the Postal Tournament used to be paired works pretty well for this.  Put the players in a loop, even seeds on one side and odd seeds on the other, and have everyone play the three players clockwise and the three players counterclockwise.  So for 13 players the loop would be

.  1  2
    3  .   4
  5    .     6
7   .    .     8

9   .    .   10
  11  .   12
    . 13  

and (for example) 11 would play agianst 5, 7, 9, 13, 12 and 10.

Another anti-championship pairing would be like the McMahon pairing they use in European Go tournaments, or like the ladder/level tournament discussed in another thread.

It all depends on what you are trying to do.  The objectives of determining a champion and giving folks even games are somewhat in conflict with each other.  Obviously the guy running the tournament gets to decide what kind of tournament he would like to have.  Smiley
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 7:33pm »

How about a World Cup style tournament?  You start with 4 player divisions and you play each other once.  The top 8 teams advance to a single elimination bracket.  The losers in the single elimination get to play a 7th, 5th, and 3rd place game.  This would guarantee everyone at least 3 games and for everyone one who makes it to the 2nd part, at least five games.  And you still get to have a Champion  Cheesy
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 1:15pm »

on Mar 19th, 2008, 6:15pm, aaaa wrote:
Don't you think people will be less motivated to go through all the trouble of registering if they might very well end up playing only one time? It seem to me that given the lack of any registration fee, you have the great opportunity here of bringing about lots of interhuman games, if only the tournament system is chosen wisely. This just screams Swiss style to me, but even if you decry the manipulability of that, surely floating n-tuple elimination would have to be much more preferable than single elimination.

It sure is a lot of trouble - maybe a minute tops.  Smiley

You tournament purists from the chess and Go circles will have to forgive me, but I am an infamous bracketologist, and I would very much like to host a tournament that can be discussed in a bracketological way. It offers a dynamic that Swiss and floating lack. Please humor me.

1. I promise that all players will play more than a single game by way of consolation.
2. I desire and promise that the tournament last no longer than five weeks, while still awarding a title.
3. The idea is that the matchups will become increasingly close each week. I never said my goal was to create immediately even games.

I think Janzert would like to enter OpFor, so I'm going to open eligibility to bots, as well. Then, after all registration, I think I'll add bots to the tournament until a power of two is reached. With a power of two, my idea of consolation will be possible. I know, I know .... you think it undermines the point of maximizing human-human games. My goal is only to run a tournament, providing anyone a venue to show what he's got. If you want to play a live human game, there is a button in the game room for scheduling one. Well, there used to be. I think Omar forgot to include it in the new gameroom.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2008, 1:23pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 9:19pm »

Omar has said that bots would be too complicating, so I'll forget the bots. However, if you would like to enter your own bot and run it from your own computer, these bots will be accepted.

I don't want to discourage players with a poor tournament format. So, I might still be persuaded to make it a five-round Swiss.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 3:46am »

on Mar 20th, 2008, 9:19pm, The_Jeh wrote:
I don't want to discourage players with a poor tournament format.

As far as I can tell, this will be the first "official" tournament (besides those organized by Omar) using the scheduler and everything ; so I'm sure it'll be great, whatever the format Smiley count me in in any case.
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 8:31am »

It is great that we have another opportunity to play in a live tournament.

Thanks, The_Jeh, for making it possible!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.