Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 12:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 Arimaa Challenge »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 Arimaa Challenge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 Arimaa Challenge  (Read 2162 times)
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

Re: 2008 Arimaa Challenge
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 9:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 17th, 2008, 4:45pm, 99of9 wrote:
Don't resignations count as a win for the bot?

Retrovirus naturally resigned when he lost his elephant, but on the score page, it's not showing up as a win for the bot.

No wins count unless the other bot is also played using the same colors. But, I don't know whether resignations are any different.
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #16 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 11:11am »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 9:04am, The_Jeh wrote:

No wins count unless the other bot is also played using the same colors. But, I don't know whether resignations are any different.

You are right, it just so happens that all of the resigning players have yet to play the other bot.  So unless they do, those games won't count.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 11:12am by mistre » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 2:24pm »

on Mar 17th, 2008, 7:40pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Now I'm getting the same error, even though only The_Jeh is playing Bomb, so the other server should be free.

Thanks for posting the symptoms; it helped me trace the problem to the code for picking a free server. Should be fixed now.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #18 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 4:10pm »

The grid for the results of "Play the Challenge Bots" is out of whack.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 6:07pm »

on Mar 18th, 2008, 4:10pm, Arimabuff wrote:
The grid for the results of "Play the Challenge Bots" is out of whack.

I shuffled the columns a bit.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #20 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 8:19pm »

I noticed I couldn't start Bomb2005CC from the bot ladder. We can't play it outside the quad during this event?
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2008, 8:19pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 8:58am »

It's kind of a silly formality, given that everyone knows Bomb hasn't changed from last year, but the idea is that it isn't fair to challenge bots to expose them to general play.  Someone might experiment endlessly to find a winning formula.  Admittedly, in this case people already have done so, but in general it gives the bot a fighting chance in the Challenge to limit its exposure beforehand.

I think in this case disabling Bomb is more a practical convenience of knowing which games are qualifying games and which games are casual games.  With Bomb disabled in the ladder, all Bomb games in the database within a certain time range are automatically qualifying games.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #22 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 11:25am »

on Mar 19th, 2008, 8:58am, Fritzlein wrote:
It's kind of a silly formality, given that everyone knows Bomb hasn't changed from last year, but the idea is that it isn't fair to challenge bots to expose them to general play.  Someone might experiment endlessly to find a winning formula.  Admittedly, in this case people already have done so, but in general it gives the bot a fighting chance in the Challenge to limit its exposure beforehand.

I think in this case disabling Bomb is more a practical convenience of knowing which games are qualifying games and which games are casual games.  With Bomb disabled in the ladder, all Bomb games in the database within a certain time range are automatically qualifying games.

Wouldn't it be simpler to put the numbers of the qualifying games into a list?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 2:30pm »

on Mar 19th, 2008, 11:25am, Arimabuff wrote:

Wouldn't it be simpler to put the numbers of the qualifying games into a list?

To tell the truth, I don't know how Omar does it.  I should let him answer the questions.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #24 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 1:33am »

Yes, I disabled the regular Bomb2005CC temporarily. Otherwise there is no way for the score keeping script to know if you played the one on the bot ladder or the one in the challenge playoff.

I guess, I could enter the game numbers manually into a list, but I wouldn't trust myself to do it in a timely manner.

Sorry for the inconvenience of not being able to play Bomb2005CC on the bot ladder. But this should not hinder ones progress on the bot ladder, because if you beat the challenge playoff version of Bomb it will still count towards the bot ladder. If you don't play Sharp, it won't really hurt things for the playoffs, though it would be nice if you did.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2008, 1:34am by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 7:32pm »

If I'm not mistaken, the qualifying phase just ended.  Congratulations to Bomb for a convincing victory in the playoff as well as in the Computer Championship.

I'm very pleased at how well the qualifying phase worked.  In 2007 there were only 12 pairs of games, and of these 10 were tied.  Only two game pairs were split, and Bomb won by the paltry score of 2-0.  Clearly Bomb was the better bot, but the qualifying didn't provide a whole lot of discrimination.

This year there were 16 pairs of games, and only 9 of those were tied.  A whopping seven pairs of games were split, and Bomb won by the much more persuasive score of 6-1.  If the trend continues, the qualifying phase will get better and better, easing any fears of manipulation of insufficient discrimination.  It seems like the Arimaa community keeps on growing and maturing.

Good luck to the defenders of humanity's honor in the coming weeks!
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2008, 7:33pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.