Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 Postal Tournament Format »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 Postal Tournament Format
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 Postal Tournament Format  (Read 2952 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2008 Postal Tournament Format
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 9:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just noticed in the event schedule that registration for the Postal Mixer opens on February 3, which will be weird if the rules are unknown as of that time.  Omar, would you mind posting a draft of the rules, possibly incorporating suggestions from this thread?  Otherwise there will be no discussion of the proposed rules until after they are the official rules.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #16 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 7:07am »

Thanks for the reminder on this Karl. I've posted the details for the upcoming postal here:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2008/

I've included the longer time control and the very minimal restrictions for bots. I didn't include anything to give a monetary incentive for putting up a longer fight. For now I want to keep the amount returned simple.

Let me know if I missed anything or if there are other suggestions. I really appreciate the feedback from everyone in this thread; thanks.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 3rd, 2008, 5:09pm »

I think the rules governing bots are now sufficiently loose.  Some might say they are too loose, because they allow giving the bot one brain for half of its games and a different brain for the other half of its games, etc.  I doubt, however, that this latitude will be abused.  With no prize money on the line, it doesn't bother me if Zombie plays smarter against me than against the other players; in fact I would welcome it.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 10:50pm »

Where do we register?  According to the schedule registration is officially open, but I can't find a link.  As soon as registration for the Spectator Contest closes we should replace the front page link for that registration with a front-page link to this registration.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2008, 10:51pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 12:20am »

Thanks for the reminder Karl. I've turned on the registration for the Postal.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:26am »

Holy cow.  I registered as soon as I saw your post, and I'm the sixth one in!  I wonder if we will break a participation record this year.
IP Logged

nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

« Reply #21 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 12:36am »

Maybe I'm a bit offtopic here, but anyway: my rating as seen on the gamerrom is 1669, and my rating on the players list of the postal is 1534, which was my rating when the 2007 postal started. Bug?
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #22 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 4:38am »

on Feb 20th, 2008, 12:36am, nbarriga wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit offtopic here, but anyway: my rating as seen on the gamerrom is 1669, and my rating on the players list of the postal is 1534, which was my rating when the 2007 postal started. Bug?

Yeah, there was the same phenomenon for the WC , ratings as announced before the start are those of previous year, but I'm sure Omar will take care of this before the tourney starts, no worry Smiley
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #23 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 9:15am »

Are any bots going to be registered for the postal tournament?  I am hoping to see a few in there.  Zombie? Opfor?

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 3:13pm »

Ten registrants already, and it's more than a month from the deadline!  I'm starting to get excited.

If the deadline approaches and there are no bots registered, I will look into getting bot_Arimaanator to play from my desktop, but it would be much more exciting if a bot entered that was under active development rather than an outdated and buggy bot.  Note that this year the bot can change throughout the tournament, so it is an opportunity for developers to try out a lot of stuff.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2008, 3:17pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #25 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 4:03pm »

OpFor will probably enter. But I am, and I'm sure most other developers are, doing the last minute deadline wrap everything up for the computer championship drill at the moment. Grin

Janzert
IP Logged
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

« Reply #26 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 12:46am »

Will there be an email to all Arimaa players reminding them to join the Postal Mixer? The deadline approaches, and I don't see any low ranking and only a few midranking players registered.

It would be no fun to be shamfully beaten in all the 8 games I registered for  Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2008, 12:48am by nbarriga » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 6:29pm »

I'm also in favor of a dual-purpose mass mailing, both to invite everyone to play in the Postal Mixer and to invite everyone to play against sharp and Bomb in the qualifying round.

Given that we already have 12 registered players and three weeks left to register, I would be very surprised to see fewer than 20 players total.  This event has been a ton of fun in the past, and people know it.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #28 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 8:17pm »

Only nine days left to register!  Shocked Shocked Shocked   I'm surprised that not all of the top players from the World Championship are in yet.  99of9, jdb, naveed, ArifSyed, camelback, froody...  I assume you are just waiting for the last minute to register. Wink  Personally, if I could only play in one event in the whole year, it would be the Postal Mixer and not the World Championships, because I like the non-championship (fewer mistmatch) pairing format of the postal better.

I'm going to start harassing the active newcomers in the gameroom to join.  I think some folks are shy about playing humans at first, even if they love Arimaa.  I know that for a while I was afraid that I wasn't good enough to play humans, so I wanted to play it safe and get good against bots first.  But that was silly; it's so much more rewarding to play a variety of humans.  Maybe also with all the "championships" going on, relative newcomers expect the Postal to be brutal instead of being paired as close to your own rating as possible.

Also, I'm hoping to see OpFor and sharp registered.  If you guys aren't planning to play, let me know.  I think there should be at least one bot in the tournament, and I'll set up bot_Arimanator to be that one if need be.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #29 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 8:53pm »

Also, it is a lot less intimidating for new players to play postal vs. humans as there is no time pressure.  

Newer players should be encouraged to maybe sign up for 4-6 games to get their feet wet.  I just missed out on the tournament last year.  I either missed it because I joined after it started, or it wasn't publicized enough.

Let's spread the word!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.