Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2009 Computer Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2009 Computer Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 Computer Championship  (Read 5130 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

2009 Computer Championship
« on: Jan 22nd, 2009, 3:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I notice that of the registered participants for the 2009 Computer Championship, bot_bomb is second-to-bottom with a rating of 1584.  This rating will be three years old by the time the tournament is seeded.  Assuming that the bot entered will be unchanged from bot_Bomb2005CC, I propose that the rating used to seed Bomb in the tournament should instead be bot_Bomb2005CC's rating.  More accurate seeding will make the tournament more fair.

Of course, if it won't be exactly the same code, then it would be unfair to use the rating of bot_Bomb2005CC, and we would have no better choice than to use the low rating of bot_bomb.  But for an unchanged bot it seems unfair that it wouldn't even get the benefit of its victories in the 2007 and 2008 Computer Championship and Arimaa Challenge cycles.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: 2009 Computer Championship
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2009, 4:03pm »

I agree that this makes sense.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2009, 4:30pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2009, 4:03pm, 99of9 wrote:
I agree that this makes sense.

Actually, this was your idea, wasn't it?  So I should be saying that I agree with you.  Smiley
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2009, 5:16pm »

In the words of Fritz: "It seems that if the bot is unaltered from 2005, it should at least get the benefit of Bomb2005's rating for seeding."

In the words of the follower: "yes, i agree that if omar enters bomb2005cc in the tournament, the real rating should come with it"
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2009, 8:16pm »

My memory is so poor... Embarassed
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2009, 9:00pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2009, 8:16pm, Fritzlein wrote:
My memory is so poor... Embarassed

Hopefully by the time we next play in the WC you will have totally forgotten how to play arimaa.  Shocked
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2009, 5:16pm »

Omar mentioned in the chat that if only seven bots have registered by the deadline, he intends to round out the field to eight with Occam or some other bot.  This is a nice gesture on his part, and I fully support it.  However, given Occam's weak showing in 2007, I would recommend using a stronger bot if publicly available, by which I mean Fairy or Zombie.  The level of bots these days has improved so much that playing Occam is too close to a bye, and if we're just handing out byes we would just as well have seven computers.

That's my intuition, anyway.  How do other people feel about having a relatively strong bot entered automatically as a benchmark?  Is that unfair to the registered competitors?
IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #7 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 7:13am »

on Jan 31st, 2009, 5:16pm, Fritzlein wrote:

How do other people feel about having a relatively strong bot entered automatically as a benchmark?  Is that unfair to the registered competitors?

I fully support this idea, although the fairness question should be answered by bot developers before that.

IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #8 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 11:09am »

I guess I don't particularly mind any of the cases (strong bot, weak bot or no 8th bot) and can see arguments for and against each. So whatever is decided is fine with me.

Janzert
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #9 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 4:16pm »

I hope we can get an eighth bot. There will be too many byes with 7 bots.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 4:34pm »

I would also be happy to see an eighth bot, but would prefer to see a currently developed one if possible.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #11 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 8:24am »

I've extended the bot registration deadline in case any developers missed it, but wanted to register. The max I would be able to extend it is until Feb 6th, since I need at least a day or two to get the accounts setup. I really would like to see an actively developed bot as the 8th entry rather than one of the bots from previous years.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2009, 8:24am by omar » IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #12 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 8:33am »

Sorry if I have come across as a bit passive-aggressive in this regard, but in case it hasn't already been made clear now, I'm not entering my bot in the championship as I don't consider it up to par for it yet.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #13 on: Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:54am »

You really should reconsider aaaa. Your bot is doing pretty well against Badger, and has previously won against many of the other bots. I'll sponsor your bot in the same way that Fritzlein sponsored Badger Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 1:16pm »

For this year a prediction contest on the Computer Championship would be more interesting than for the World Championship.  What have we had in the World Championship: over 40 games but only three wins by the lower-rated player?  The Computer Championship will be a mere 22 games or so, but I'll bet the lower-rated player will win more than three of those.

I'm surprised nobody is submitting odds like me, because this is a perfect chance to get it completely wrong and look like a fool.  Who can pass on that?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2009, 6:32am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.