Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2009 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2009 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 World Championship  (Read 9050 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

2009 World Championship
« on: Jan 3rd, 2009, 7:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We have 18 players registered, and thus five preliminary rounds.  On average, you would expect 9 players to finish with a winning record (3-2 or better) and 9 players to finish with a losing record (2-3 or worse).  If it turns out this way, there will be one 3-2 player who does not qualify for the finals, based on having the weakest opponents of all 3-2 players.  However, if a couple of players drop out (as happened last year) then perhaps there will be only 8 players with a 3-2 record, and all will qualify for the finals.

Returning players this year are rated, on average, 15.5 rating points higher than they were last year.  This is a major change from previous years, where the year-over-year rating gain of returning players was always about 100 points.  This is probably due to the deflationary effect of starting new players at 1300 rather than 1500, and also the deflationary effect of fixing the rating of ArimaaScoreP1 to 1000.

Good luck to all!
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: 2009 World Championship
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2009, 5:32pm »

A warning regarding selecting times...

I usually use a bookmark to select my availability:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/selectTimes.cgi

But Omar just sent an email saying to use:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2009/selectTimes.cgi
(with some authorization keys after it)

And they have a different set of preferences stored for me.  So, just in case anyone else uses a bookmark to find their time preferences, be careful!
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2009, 5:36pm by 99of9 » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 6:02am »

I accepted Omar's invitation to be tournament director again this year.  Good luck to everybody and I will try to be as fair as possible.  Please review the tournament rules.  In general, players are responsible for having good connections, connecting on time, and playing good moves.  If the game site has technical problems or the coordinators make mistakes, we will do our best not to penalize players for events beyond their control.

In the past, pairing algorithm results occasionally didn't meet the published criteria and human correction was required.  The published criteria will continue to take precedence.

Make sure your game time offsets from GMT are correct.  This way you will connect at the right time.

The current rules don't explicitly state how a partially finished game is handled if the site goes down in mid-game.  This happened in the past and I believe the best response is to continue the game from the position and clock settings when the site went down.

Otherwise the posted rules have evolved to handle things pretty well.  Have a great tournament!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 6:12am »

This is great news, Ron.  Thank you so much for agreeing to be Tournament Director once again this year.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 10:20pm »

Just want to give a big thanks to Ned for accepting to take on the TD role this year; and for the great job he has done in past years. Believe it or not the tension of something going wrong during the tournament feels more manageable to me knowing that Ned is there as a safety net to make sound decisions. Hopefully things will go smoothly and we will have another enjoyable tournament with some spectacular games Smiley

Karl were you planning on covering the games. If so maybe you might need help in the early rounds since there are many games. I could volunteer to help you with a couple games each week, but my level of analysis is not very deep. I hope others can also volunteer to help if needed.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #5 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 4:39am »

Thanks a lot Ron! We definitely believe you Omar as for the relief of having our preferred Tournament director officying Smiley

Looking forward to having you play next year hopefully though :p
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 7:13am »

on Jan 5th, 2009, 10:20pm, omar wrote:
Karl were you planning on covering the games. If so maybe you might need help in the early rounds since there are many games. I could volunteer to help you with a couple games each week, but my level of analysis is not very deep. I hope others can also volunteer to help if needed.

I can also help with a few games each week.  And because the tournament format is similar to last year's I can generate the standings on a weekly basis with the code I created last year.

Deep analysis is not required for the Open Classic summaries.  Last year most of the recaps were only 1 or 2 short paragraphs.  Only a few complicated or marathon games had long, detailed summaries -- and Fritzlein usually covers those games  Wink
IP Logged

grey_0x2A
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1358

« Reply #7 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 2:00pm »

Are the match times going to be publicly announced this year?
This would be convent for those of us wanting to watch the games.

--
Chris
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 4:13pm »

on Jan 6th, 2009, 7:13am, Adanac wrote:
I can also help with a few games each week.  And because the tournament format is similar to last year's I can generate the standings on a weekly basis with the code I created last year.

I was feeling less inspired to cover the games this year than I was last year, in part because I want to devote a healthy chunk of my Arimaa time to the Mob game, but given the offers of help, I can hardly refuse.  Also there will be only nine games per round, as opposed to thirteen per round last year.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 5:11pm »

on Jan 6th, 2009, 2:00pm, grey_0x2A wrote:
Are the match times going to be publicly announced this year?

Yes, but the games are scheduled on Tuesday nights this year instead of Monday nights.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #10 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 9:40pm »

Sorry about the delay in getting the games scheduled for the 1st round. I ran into some unexpected issues. They are fixed now and the players should have received an email with their game times.
IP Logged
Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 6:53am »

i have a question, is the rating fix just once or is it every week (before pairing) because the registered players shows the rating always fluctuating
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 8:41am »

on Jan 6th, 2009, 9:40pm, omar wrote:
Sorry about the delay in getting the games scheduled for the 1st round. I ran into some unexpected issues. They are fixed now and the players should have received an email with their game times.

No problem.  As long as we keep tweaking the format, there will be glitches.

I notice that the game times are nearly evenly distributed throughout the weekend.  Did you change the scheduling code to encourage that, or did we just get lucky?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #13 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 10:07am »

on Jan 7th, 2009, 6:53am, Tuks wrote:
i have a question, is the rating fix just once or is it every week (before pairing) because the registered players shows the rating always fluctuating

The ratings were fixed on Jan 3rd, just that the program to list the registered players was always using gameroom ratings. I've changed it to show the fixed ratings now.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #14 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 10:08am »

on Jan 7th, 2009, 8:41am, Fritzlein wrote:

I notice that the game times are nearly evenly distributed throughout the weekend.  Did you change the scheduling code to encourage that, or did we just get lucky?

It was just luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.