Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:53am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2009 Computer Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2009 Computer Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 Computer Championship  (Read 5131 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: 2009 Computer Championship
« Reply #60 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 4:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For it's first two games, I'm going to rule that Bomb's settings are close enough to its tournament configuration that this was an accurate representation of Bomb and the game outcomes stand.  The only difference I see is the maximum search depth being either 30 with the .ini file and unlimited without it.  Judging from the bot developer threads, this limit is rarely reached in the nominal alpha-beta search and a quiescence search would only benefit from this limit being removed.  Note that Badger and clueless do not take advantage of game history the way GnoBot does.

However, the Bomb vs GnoBot game must be replayed to allow Bomb the benefit of its setup randomization.  Thanx and sportsmanship kudos to 99of9 for leading us to the discovery of this mistake.

TD
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #61 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 8:59am »

Badger timed out in the bot_clueless vs bot_Badger game of round 5. However, when I look at the logs for Badger, it seems that it had sent the move and got an OK response. However something went wrong with the process on the server between accepting the move over the network and saving the move.

I have sent an email to the TD and awaiting a response.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #62 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 9:09am »

In trying to trace down what happened on the server,
it seems that the move was received a little too late.
So the process that received the move over the network
could not save it since another process had already
marked the game as ended on time.

I've update the TD about this.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2009, 9:10am by omar » IP Logged
doublep
Forum Guru

Badger author

« Reply #63 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 10:12am »

I have no problems with this being counted as a loss for Badger.  No chances in this game anyway.  However, if this is not fixed on the server, please remind us about non-trivial lag (i.e. 1 second Badger is configured with is not enough, apparently).

Edit: remind before the next championship, I mean.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2009, 10:13am by doublep » IP Logged
doublep
Forum Guru

Badger author

« Reply #64 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 10:17am »

on Mar 2nd, 2009, 5:55pm, omar wrote:
I just checked the logs for bot_Badger and seems like it may have crashed on move 20g. [...]

Yes, that's what it is.  Badger binary crashed and then the interface script raised an exception about empty response.  It is a real bug in the program, but, fortunately, it be should only trigerred when Badger is losing anyway ;)
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #65 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 10:24am »

Based on the information above, the result of clueless vs Badger stands with a win for clueless.

TD
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #66 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 1:25pm »

on Feb 26th, 2009, 6:40am, Fritzlein wrote:
40% Clueless
25% Bomb
25% Gnobot
5% Opfor
5% Sharp, Badger, Zombie, Rat

So Bomb is out in 5th place with a 2-3 record, while both OpFor and Badger made the final four!  I guess I was made overly conservative by the fact that I had predicted Bomb's vulnerability in previous years and had been burned.  And who would have believed Badger's meteoric rise?

The consensus was that Fotland wouldn't resume active development as long as Bomb kept winning the Computer Championship, and that proved true.  But will he return now?  If the contest alone isn't enough to entice Fotland, the Challenge money won't help since it remains out of reach and the Computer Championship prize money is minimal.   The only other incentive I can think of is that perhaps the commercialization of Arimaa will provide a big enough market for his software to make further development a good business proposition.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #67 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 3:26pm »

Wow, this has been the most amazing and eventful WCC tournament yet. My operational blunders, bots crashing, and some of the most spectacular bot games.

First the Bomb-clueless game in which Bomb was crushed in just 25 moves; then the Bomb-GnoBot game in which Bomb just happened to pick the same setup as the clueless game and lost the same way. Now this last game between Bomb and OpFor was just amazing. Bomb having a small material advantage most of the game and still losing because OpFor had a better understanding of the position. It looked as if Bomb was playing a human opponent. Amazing and a little scary Smiley

I hope Fotland will at least make Bomb multi-threaded by next year.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #68 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 7:13am »

Yesterday BlackKnight asked me if I could play Rat against Bomb2008CC on the tournament server. I ran a couple games like that and in the first game Rat actually defeated Bomb using the EH attack.

I am also running a couple games with Sharp and Zombie.

If anyone would like to see some other match ups let me know. I'll run them when the servers are idle. Also it will only be done after both bots are out of the tournament.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #69 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 5:55pm »

on Mar 8th, 2009, 7:13am, omar wrote:
If anyone would like to see some other match ups let me know.

More matchups between Badger, Opfor, and Bomb would be very interesting.  All three of them lost to both Clueless and Gnobot, and their third loss was in a cycle to one of the other three (with a win against the other).  So it is not at all clear how they should be pegged relative to one another.  While you have the second server, I'd love to see more of these games.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #70 on: Mar 9th, 2009, 7:46pm »

Yes, there is some ambiguity between places 3rd through 5th.  On the bright side, even without the extra games, it is pretty clear which two bots are the two best, and that's all the tournament format needs to determine.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2009, 6:03am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #71 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 1:29pm »

I took a look at the network log from the Clueless-Gnobot game this afternoon where Gnobot timed out. Here is the relevant time line of events that I see:

At 16:22:37 the bot interface receives the server gamestate asking for 7b
    Silver reserve time is 96 seconds at the start of the move
At 16:25:59 GnoBot responds with move ef4s ef3n De3e cd3e
    The move is sent to the server by the bot interface
    But the interface either never receives a response from the server or it's a blank response
At 16:26:04 the bot interface once again receives a gamestate asking for 7b
    It shows that 208 seconds of silver's move has elapsed
At 16:29:26 GnoBot once again sends the move ef4s ef3n De3e cd3e
    This time the interface receives a response "ok = 1" as it should
At 16:29:27 the bot interface asks for and receives a gamestate update
    This update shows the timeout result and the interface exits the game

So it appears that there was some sort of server or network error between the arimaa server and CC server.

Janzert
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #72 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 3:59am »

Omar confirms the server did not receive GnoBot's move when it should have.  He is going to try to continue the game from the last position with clocks at the correct values.  I have approved this.

TD
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #73 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 8:57am »

Sorry I forgot to post here in the midst of all the excitement yesterday.

The round 8 clueless vs GnoBot game timed out on move 7b. After checking the logs it appeared that the problem was due to the server. I notified the TD and then logged into the chatroom and was informed that the TD had stopped by and approved continuing the game if it was a server problem.

I had never tried restoring a game and having the bots continue it again, so I wasn't sure if it would work. If it didn't then we would have to replay the game from start.

Well the programs all worked fine and I was able to restore the game and get the bots to continue from 7b. In order to compensate for my time between restoring the game and starting the bots I added 10 seconds to the reserve of each bot from what it was at the start of move 7b. At least that's what I wanted to do; but in actuality I forgot to add 10 secs to GnoBot's reserve and only added it to clueless's reserve. After a few moves we noticed it in the chatroom and decided to stop the bots and retry again, but this time with only 5s added to GnoBots reserve and no time added to clueless's reserve. The reason for this is that as soon as the game is restored GnoBot's time starts ticking down and from experience now I knew it only takes about 5 seconds to get GnoBot started and logged into the game. clueless would get started and logged into the game while it is still GnoBot's turn, so it would not lose any reserve time due to the start up process. This time I got the reserve times right, but the game was restored at move 12b (I think) rather than 7b. We stopped the bots again and tried it a third time. This time everything was set correctly and the game finished to a natural end.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2009, 11:02am by omar » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #74 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 9:05am »

Omar, if you have a chance to run any more non-tournament games on the CC servers and are looking for matchups to try, I would be interested in seeing a few more Badger-OpFor games.

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.