Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2009 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2009 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 World Championship  (Read 9052 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2009 World Championship
« Reply #135 on: Feb 23rd, 2009, 1:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was thinking the game time was beyond when I normally run the scheduler (Tuesday evening), but it's not so it should work out fine. So round 3 will be this week, just that the pairing won't be done until Tuesday morning.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #136 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 4:51am »

Don't forget to run the scheduler!
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #137 on: Feb 25th, 2009, 8:13am »

I got so busy working on the WCC servers yesterday and forgot to run the scheduler until Karl reminded me just now. Sorry about that. Fortunately all the games are on Sunday.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #138 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 1:58pm »

on Feb 8th, 2009, 2:31pm, Fritzlein wrote:
The_Jeh sure knows how to draw a crowd.  During his game with Omar (the last game of the preliminaries) there were 24 people in the game room and 16 people in chat.

Critical mass, here we come!

My second game against Adanac in the finals just saw 17 in chat and 31 in the game room according to multiple witnesses.
IP Logged

Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

« Reply #139 on: Mar 16th, 2009, 9:38am »

There was briefly 31 in the gameroom during your game, but I don't think the number in chat got above 14 or so until after the end of the game. It seems that it did get to 17 afterwards though.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #140 on: Mar 16th, 2009, 12:21pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Simon.  Also thanks to Arimabuff for pointing out that we passed the 100,000 game mark while Adanac and I were playing, although none of the 14 people in chat noticed at the time.  Smiley
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #141 on: Mar 22nd, 2009, 2:05pm »

Congratulations, chessandgo, with your second World Champion title!

And a big thank you to both chessandgo and Fritzlein for the great fight they put up.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #142 on: Mar 22nd, 2009, 2:28pm »

Congratulations, chessandgo.  That final game was loads of fun.  What say we do it again next year?  Wink
IP Logged

Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

« Reply #143 on: Mar 22nd, 2009, 4:41pm »

Good job Chessandgo!

A question about the end of the final game:
on move 65 b, could chessandgo have won with  
Db2s eb3s rc3x Rc2n Rc3x eb2e? (win by elimination)
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2009, 4:44pm by Isaac Grosof » IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #144 on: Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:56pm »

Thanks Karl for the good game. I'm not sure what your "What say we do it again next year?" means, I guess this is an english idiom that I don't understand. Do you mean that you hope it'll be somehting like "2010, the return of the revenge is back?" Smiley  

Thanks Woh and 722caasi!

Yes 722caasi, indeed Sad

Looking forward to the postal tournament for more fun. I have to say the ehh-m setup, that I considered "bad" before the tourney, is now impressing me very much. For the moment I'm not yet to the point where I'd play it as gold, but I certainly will start playing it as silver routinely. Had you set up a standard 99of9 in the final game, I'd almost have answered with Toby's ehh-m although I had almost never played it before.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:57pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #145 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 7:25am »

I just wanted to echo here what aaaa noted in chat, that Silver had a great finals.  Overall Silver scored 11-4, and in games among Adanac, Fritzlein, and chessandgo, Silver scored 5-0.

That's probably a statistical fluke, but is quite ironic given that aaaa called into question the results of last year's Championship because I won three times against chessandgo as Gold.  Some day, perhaps, we will know whether it is better to play as Gold or as Silver, but in the mean time we don't have the color-advantage problems that bedevil chess and other games.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #146 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 7:40am »

I still prefer gold, and I agree that those results are probably a statistical fluke. Especially when we consider how many times all of those games rocked back an forth ...
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #147 on: Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:04am »

on Mar 23rd, 2009, 7:40am, chessandgo wrote:
I still prefer gold, and I agree that those results are probably a statistical fluke. Especially when we consider how many times all of those games rocked back an forth ...

Yes, the end results seemed to have only a very tenuous connection to the openings.  There is so much drama in Arimaa and so many turning points that the last moves happen in a different universe from the first moves.

I think I still slightly prefer to play Silver, but I realize that has more to do with my psychology than with Arimaa theory.  I have gotten comfortable with a flank camel as Silver whether or not it is sound.  I am not yet comfortable with the flank camel as Gold, because it seems to give Silver too much flexibility to respond in Silver's opening setup.  

It will get more difficult to justify your preference for Gold, Jean, if it turns out in the long run that you favor an opening setup for Silver that you think Gold can't afford to play.  That discrimination would show that the second setup is at least worth something, albeit not necessarily worth as much as the first move.

On the other hand, it could turn out that the unbalanced setup is actually less sound for Silver than responding to symmetry with symmetry.  It could also turn out that the unbalanced setup is sound for both Gold and for Silver.  If either transpires it will be hard for me to keep claiming that the second setup is valuable at all, never mind claiming that it is more valuable than the first move.

We should keep trying to balance colors in tournaments, not because we believe it does make a measurable difference, but rather as insurance against the outside chance that it might.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:09am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.