Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 9:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2009 Postal Mixer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2009 Postal Mixer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 Postal Mixer  (Read 6127 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2009 Postal Mixer
« Reply #30 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 6:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 12th, 2009, 4:21am, Simon wrote:
So, I am assuming from the discussion that I can copy moves from Fritzlein's games in this same postal mixer, given that I am not playing him.

Yes, only relaying moves between two of your opponents is forbidden.  There is no problem with you copying my moves.  I'd be flattered you copied me rather than chessandgo!  But your opponent will quickly deviate and force you to think for yourself anyway.

Copying me would only be akin to relaying moves if your opponent also copied my opponent.  In that case, however, you and your opponent would be equally responsible for creating a non-game, and one of you would be sorry for backing the wrong horse.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 6:13am »

on Apr 12th, 2009, 4:21am, Simon wrote:
edit: and the time has passed but the clocks don't seem to be ticking...

Yes, the clocks are definitely messed up.  Not only are the clocks not ticking for the Gold players, they aren't ticking for the Silver players either.  I just made my setup in response to Tuks' setup, and my window shows that I used 0s to make that move.
IP Logged

Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

« Reply #32 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 6:33am »

odd. I haven't experienced such problems on the games once they were started, and the clocks seem to be ticking now even on the games not started (the clocks seem to have started ticking around half an hour ago).

edit - but yes, your game with tuks does seem to have that bug... that is quite an impressive feat of speed arimaa, Fritzlein Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2009, 6:35am by Simon » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #33 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 6:52am »

Tuks' clock is ticking now, so apparently the issue is resolved.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 9:45pm »

Despite the reduced game load of some players, there are still quite a few mismatches this year, where a mismatch is defined as a gap of 400 rating points or more.  However, the number is slightly exaggerated because this year the Whole History Ratings were used for seeding, and those ratings are slightly more spread out than the game room ratings, which I used to calculate mismatches in previous years.

Players1519201514
Games7595858470
Mismatches9532119

I'm afraid we are entering a vicious cycle where lower-rated players don't sign up because they see that lower-rated players don't sign up.  If the participation wasn't so biased towards the top players, then other players wouldn't have to fear getting clobbered.  Maybe next year we can try to actively counteract this phenomenon, and get newer players to sign up en masse.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #35 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 7:01am »

Just a note that http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2009/showGames.cgi seems to not have linked up with the actual games yet.

Janzert
IP Logged
camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #36 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 11:52am »

on Apr 12th, 2009, 9:45pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I'm afraid we are entering a vicious cycle where lower-rated players don't sign up because they see that lower-rated players don't sign up.  If the participation wasn't so biased towards the top players, then other players wouldn't have to fear getting clobbered.  Maybe next year we can try to actively counteract this phenomenon, and get newer players to sign up en masse.

May be we can have a cap, restricting the players to a optimal number of games to avoid mismatch. This will ensure newbies having close games.

In my opinion, auto postal would be a better alternative for game hungry players. I hope that having a cap will not modify the tournament atmosphere. From another perspective, only difference between postal tourney and auto postal is that a dedicated tracking page and a required commitment. Most top players already committed.

May be a better algorithm would avoid having a cap.

Just my 2 cents.
IP Logged
camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #37 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 11:56am »

on Apr 11th, 2009, 10:55am, Fritzlein wrote:
the maximum for game-hungry players went down to fourteen from seventeen because this year more players signed up for a more moderate number of games.

Is counting icons in show games page the only way for finding number of games for each player?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #38 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 12:40pm »

Camelback, I'm not so worried about the mismatches that game-hungry players get.  They should know what they are getting into.  I'm more looking at 2007 when we had the fewest mismatches in part because we had so many players.  If we had had twenty players signed up this year as well, I'll bet we could have had just as many games per player on average (10) without as many mismatches.  For this year having ten opponents is not just playing the half of the players who are near you, it is playing nearly the whole field!
IP Logged

ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #39 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 7:10pm »

Perhaps one way to increase participation, especially among newer players, would be to let players specify a maximum rating difference between them and their opponents (like done in auto postal), in addition to specifying a maximum number of games.

Unlike auto postal, though, I would strongly prefer that one has the option of specifying an unlimited rating difference, to accommodate the more game hungry players.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #40 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:11am »

Just when the Owl Mixer started, I find I have to click twice on the send button to send my move.  The first click gives me the message to click again to really send my move.  Omar, don't you trust me anymore?  Or did you just add a feature to discourage players from making dumb moves?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #41 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 10:11am »

on Apr 14th, 2009, 9:11am, RonWeasley wrote:
Just when the Owl Mixer started, I find I have to click twice on the send button to send my move.  The first click gives me the message to click again to really send my move.  Omar, don't you trust me anymore?  Or did you just add a feature to discourage players from making dumb moves?

For me that send confirmation happens only when I have expert mode turn on, i.e. when I am using the game window itself for planning rather than using a separate plan window.  When I don't have the distinction between a game window and a plan window, I rather like the send confirmation to prevent me from sending a move that I only meant to be analyzing.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #42 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 10:30am »

on Apr 14th, 2009, 9:11am, RonWeasley wrote:
Omar, don't you trust me anymore?  Or did you just add a feature to discourage players from making dumb moves?

Actually I don't trust myself Smiley I almost hit the send button in a postal game when I didn't have expert mode turned on. I wanted to turn on expert move, but wandered my mouse over to the send button. So for postal games, I figured it might be good to always confirm the send even if expert mode is not on.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #43 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 1:15pm »

I had four games with Gold in which I opened with a flank camel on g2 and my elephant on e2.  I am surprised that nobody tried to out-flank the flanker as Silver with elephant on g7 and camel on b7.  Blue22 came closest with elephant on f7 and camel on b7; I guess I should have expected it since his play inspired me to try flank camels in the first place.

I was planning to open with a flank camel as Gold for a least a month, but I saved it for my World Championship game against chessandgo so that nobody would have time to realize the potential in setting up the silver elephant across from the gold camel and the silver camel away from the gold elephant.  It seems that I need not have worried.  Either the out-flank reply is no good, or nobody saw it anyway!

I was eager to further test my hypothesis that Silver has a slight advantage in the opening, but I guess first I have to demonstrate that flank camels are superior to centralized ones.  Only after I have induced other people to starting using my opening setup as Gold can I try to demonstrate that Silver has an out-flanking refutation.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2009, 11:03am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #44 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 7:56am »

Would it be possible to get the View games linked up to the actual games like it was last year? This was quite handy for me to track what opfor was actually doing in its games last year.

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.