Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 8:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2010 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2010 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2010 World Championship  (Read 16506 times)
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

Re: 2010 World Championship
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11th, 2010, 5:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 11th, 2010, 10:14am, Fritzlein wrote:
Even chatting about the game in progress seems risky, because someone who is logged in to chat could relay move suggestions to one of the players, but at least for chat we know who all is logged in to hear it.

One can always get the latest from the chat without being logged in simply by repeatedly fetching the archive. We shouldn't kid ourselves that the Arimaa community is still mostly governed by an honor system. One unfortunate measurement of the success of this game will be how much this needs to be toned down in the future.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #16 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 2:11am »

I am under the impression, that archive-fetching does log you into the gameroom for a second and logs you out again.
In addition I believe the time is usually better spent pondering the situation for yourself than on window-switching and comment-reading Wink

apart from those details I agree that there is basically only an honor system in place ...
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #17 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 3:45am »

You can stay logged off and fetching ... I don't see it does log you in. There would be bad solution ... to (server) disable fetching current day(or two) or during the WC game. But that would be rather distracting as this is what/when you usually fetch most. And there is better solution ... to log fetching archives (during the games) ... it can be easily tested who fetched ... but there are anonymizers. And if that fails there are frend accounts ... and (skype/ICQ/...) so the safest is to discuss lost possibilities ex post ... If the possible gain may be more valuable than the honor path.
IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #18 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 5:38am »

If the concern about cheating becomes large, there is a rule in place.  "The director may require any player to have a web-cam turned on for monitoring during the games. Also the director may send a representative to be present with any player during the games. A player who does not comply will lose by forfeit. "
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 9:05am »

Oh, I forgot about chat-archive fetching.  If I had remembered that I would have commented on the 99of9-Simon game even though Simon was still logged into chat.  I guess it already is super-easy to cheat, and we are already totally on the honor system.  I guess we just have to hope it lasts as long as possible without the suspicion (or, heaven forbid, the reality) of cheating.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 9:09am »

on Jan 12th, 2010, 5:38am, novacat wrote:
If the concern about cheating becomes large, there is a rule in place.  "The director may require any player to have a web-cam turned on for monitoring during the games. Also the director may send a representative to be present with any player during the games. A player who does not comply will lose by forfeit. "

A web cam would still leave lots of on-screen loopholes.  If it comes to sending representatives out to all the players, it might be easier to instead gather all the players together for a face-to-face tournament.  I wonder how many more years Arimaa has before a face-to-face World Championship becomes a necessity.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 9:16am »

on Jan 5th, 2010, 8:32pm, Fritzlein wrote:
And the first-round games are set!  I predict one upset out of the eight games (not me, of course Wink).

As it happened, there were two upsets instead of one in the first round, and a couple of exciting games that weren't upsets.  I was going to predict one upset in the second round as well, but since that got moved forward to the first round, I will now predict zero upsets in the second round.
IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #22 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 10:49am »

i predict one upset, maybe two with a little slanted luck for the underdog
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 11:09am »

on Jan 12th, 2010, 9:16am, Fritzlein wrote:
I will now predict zero upsets in the second round.

I'm going to have to disagree with that prediction!  Underdogs Unite!
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 12th, 2010, 8:36pm »

I've begun the 2010 World Championship Wiki pages.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2010_World_Championship

I have the standings up and some preliminary information, but I haven't gotten to the game reports yet.  Those should all be completed in the next few days, and I'll try to update round 2 daily results on the weekend.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 8:15am »

Thanks for doing the event reporting, Adanac.  It is a lot of work, I know, but it is very nice to have the historical record as well as an excellent status page while the tournament is ongoing.  Thank you for your wonderful gift to the community.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2010, 8:16am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #26 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 4:02pm »

I have a question about rules ... the WHR rating as a tiebreaker. ... It seams it is not the initial, but actual WHR rating. Is it true?
IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #27 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 10:01pm »

no, we used actual WHR for initial seeding but a new one (using only WC games and acting as all rounds were played at the same time, will be used as a tiebreaker)

it makes for a very accurate ranking, but fritz's system makes sure that people with a 3-2 win ratio get through rather than a 2-3 win ratio which is a potential in the WHR ranking
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #28 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 11:21pm »

Tuks: Yes, if I understand it well ... it's the first tiebreaker. I am speaking about the 2nd one.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 8:55am »

I am pretty sure that the second tiebreaker is the tournament seed, or equivalently the WHR at the start of the tournament.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.