Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 5:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Commentary audio »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Commentary audio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Commentary audio  (Read 9860 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Commentary audio
« on: Jan 24th, 2010, 3:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since it's taking me longer then expected to make the videos I've posted the audio files for the games here:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2010wc/

It's a bit hard to follow without seeing the game position.

I've added a real-time auto playback feature to the development JavaScript client which makes it a bit easier.

In the Tuks vs Adanac game I lost some audio in the middle when the battery of my digital recorder died.

Hope to eventually make videos from these. If you're  good with movie making tools and would like to help, please let me know.
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

Re: Commentary audio
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2010, 4:58pm »

I've recorded and upload the last 3 games:

Fritzlein vs chessandgo by Adanac and Omar
Hippo vs The_Jeh by Ron Weasley, Omar and Nevermind
Tuks vs Adanac by Fritzlein, chessandgo and Omar (incomplete missing the opening)

Of course Omar is free to put these on the same place he put the others.

I recorded all using the teamspeak tool , after that I encoded it to make mp3  with "Super" a video and audio converter ( you can download it here it is free) except the hippo vs The Jeh one in that I used iTunes (yes the apple software for the ipod).

To use super is really easy you just select the file end then select the type of file for the output and the encoders you want to use, is a very useful program is converts to a lot of different types of files).

I used iTunes in the last one because there you can use VBR (VBR allows a higher bitrate (and therefore more storage space) to be allocated to the more complex segments of media files while less space is allocated to less complex segments. The average of these rates can be calculated to produce an average bitrate for the file) that means I can get a lighter file with the same quality of an other mp3 without VBR.

To encode in iTunes you need to go to preferences and then yo the import configuration then you select the output file and the quality, then in the play list you right click in the file you want to create an mp3 version (or whatever you selected) and right click on the a "create an mp3 file" option must be available).

I post the way I do this because the next week I return to college and while in the first week is very likely to got some free time after that I'm going to return to a project in the college that will make me stay there a loooot of time, (even some weekends).

IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2010, 7:27pm »

I was taking a shot at recording a video using my audio from Fritzlein vs Chessandgo and the automatic playback feature of the client, but so far after just a few moves the game is lagging behind the audio by a couple of minutes. Eltripas' audio also seems to time out the same as mine. Not sure what is going on though since the game does seem to be keeping up with the times recorded for the moves by the server. Anyone know if teamspeak cuts out periods of silence or something when recording?

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2010, 7:32pm »

I'm not sure if TimeSpeak cuts out the silent parts. You might want to try using the audio file I made with the digital recorder; I know that was running continuously.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25th, 2010, 6:17am »

Thanks for the audio files Omar. They are very helpful if one reviews the games at the same time. I hope you'll leave them on even after you get the video files to work properly.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25th, 2010, 8:28pm »

Videos and postgame interviews from a couple round 3 games are now temporarily up on my site:

Fritzlein vs Chessandgo
99of9 vs Omar

Omar, the video files can be downloaded here and here.

Janzert
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2010, 8:28pm by Janzert » IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 7:24am »

on Jan 25th, 2010, 8:28pm, Janzert wrote:
Videos and postgame interviews from a couple round 3 games are now temporarily up on my site:

Fritzlein vs Chessandgo
99of9 vs Omar

Janzert

Thanks for synchonizing the audio & visual, this is really terrific.  One bit of advice to listeners of the Fritzlein - Chessandgo game is that when Omar speaks you have to turn up the volume and then turn it back down when I speak.  At first, I thought there were long gaps of silence until I turned the volume louder!  Hopefully we can resolve that issue next time.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 8:24am »

on Jan 26th, 2010, 7:24am, Adanac wrote:
One bit of advice to listeners of the Fritzlein - Chessandgo game is that when Omar speaks you have to turn up the volume and then turn it back down when I speak.  At first, I thought there were long gaps of silence until I turned the volume louder!  Hopefully we can resolve that issue next time.

Yeah . It's tough for the commentators to compare how they sound or to know whether there's some noise as they don't hear there own voice), so I guess the listeners should tell asap when they notice inequal volumes or noise or w/e.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 11:02am »

Thanks a ton for doing this, Janzert.  It is a huge help to be able to hear myself.  I didn't realize quite how many times I would confuse the names of players, or the two colors, or the names of the pieces, or the coordinates of the squares, etc.  I have a lot to learn as a commentator.  I think next time I will need to think less about what is happening in the game, and think more about what I am saying.  It would be a good tradeoff for the analysis to be less deep if the communication would be more clear.

Also, there seemed to still be a slight technical issue with the sound, as I lost quite a few syllables or even whole words.  At first I thought it might be myself messing up the "push to talk" keys, but it happened in the middle of sentences as well.  Perhaps it was due instead to the meager CPU on my commentating computer sometimes failing to keep up with real-time voice encoding.

Still, we are getting closer and closer to a very strong product.  I think the live commentary plus the audio/video replay could draw in some marginal fans of Arimaa to be active again, and could even pull in some folks who have only heard of Arimaa to give playing it a try.  Omar's dream of Arimaa being a spectator sport is coming closer to reality.

And while I'm on the topic, I can't but mention how helpful it is to me as a commentator to have the moves arriving at a relatively steady pace, not too fast and not too slow.  The preliminary time control is just about perfect; the slower 90s/move pace of the finals is going to be too slow.  When we set the time control we weren't thinking specifically of live commentary, but I don't think we could have nailed it any better if it had been our sole intent.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 2:02pm »

on Jan 25th, 2010, 6:17am, Arimabuff wrote:
Thanks for the audio files Omar. They are very helpful if one reviews the games at the same time. I hope you'll leave them on even after you get the video files to work properly.

No problem; I'll keep them there. Glad to hear you like them. I am really enjoying these games with commentary also. Watching games with it now will feel like watching Monday night football with the volume muted Smiley
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 2:15pm »

on Jan 25th, 2010, 8:28pm, Janzert wrote:

Fritzlein vs Chessandgo
99of9 vs Omar

Janzert

Thanks so much for making these Janzert. I've hosted them on the arimaa server now.  
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2010wc/

The quality is really incredible. The file size is about 500MB, but that's not too bad considering the quality of video and how long it is. What did you use to make this?

IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 2:49pm »

I used BB Flashback Express. I did a search for screencasting software and this seemed to be the nicest thing available for free.

It does mean that you can't do much else with the computer while recording and at least when I recorded the game live Monday it seemed to prevent me from talking in teamspeak. So ideally it would be nice if someone came up with a second computer that wouldn't be used for anything else during the recording. Also when recording remember to turn off the screensaver.

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 3:00pm »

I just want to give a big thanks to Karl, Jean, Greg, and Ned for helping out with the commentary. There is no way I could have done this myself; you've seen how bad I am at commentating Smiley. Your commentary has really brought the games to life. For anyone who has not experienced this yet, I highly recommend trying it.

Also I hope more people will come forth and try doing commentary. I know it would be hard to match the top guns, but lively commentary even with less depth is fun to listen to. I was pleasantly surprised to see Ned give commentary and it encouraged me to join in.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 3:51pm »

I've just watched Janzert's merge of Fritz's commentary on my game against omar.  Great stuff.  Amazing that Fritz can keep talking for an entire game by himself (with only a few slips of the tongue, and great analysis)!  It looks like the audio was a little behind the video, because Fritz seemed to take a while to notice each move, but other than that, it was flawless.  Well done both of you.

Sorry I can't help the commentary yet, I haven't even got myself onto TeamSpeak yet, but I'll work on that.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 4:14pm »

on Jan 26th, 2010, 3:51pm, 99of9 wrote:
I've just watched Janzert's merge of Fritz's commentary on my game against omar.  Great stuff.  Amazing that Fritz can keep talking for an entire game by himself (with only a few slips of the tongue, and great analysis)!  It looks like the audio was a little behind the video, because Fritz seemed to take a while to notice each move, but other than that, it was flawless.  Well done both of you.

You are too kind.  Smiley

Quote:
Sorry I can't help the commentary yet, I haven't even got myself onto TeamSpeak yet, but I'll work on that.

What are you doing Monday night?  Chessandgo vs. Adanac needs a commentator, and most of North American will be fast asleep, and most of Europe will be at work.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.