Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 8:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Open Swiss Fast Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Open Swiss Fast Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Open Swiss Fast Tournament  (Read 1258 times)
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Open Swiss Fast Tournament
« on: Dec 4th, 2010, 6:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For anyone (like me!) that can't play well at 15s, is anyone interested in a Swiss Tournament with double the move time?  I've set up a tournament for next Saturday, Dec 11, with 30s moves, sign up in advance or the day of:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/events/reg.cgi?e=20101211osf
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2010, 2:20pm by Nombril » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Open Swiss Fast Tournament
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 8:27pm »

Thanks for organizing this Eric. I've posted an announcement in the gameroom and also added it to the Events Calendar.
IP Logged
DarkAngelCryo
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #5928

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 8:56pm »

Sounds interesting, I figure I'll give it a shot.
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2010, 2:35pm »

Thanks for signing up DarkAngelCryo!  And welcome to the Arimaa community.

I have a general question for the timeliness of starting the first game relating to the Add/Drop format allowing for people to join in at any time.  I think it is great that so many have signed up to show interest in playing, but realistically I assume that some might be joining us later than the start time.  My plan right now is a few minutes before game time (and before making the pairings) to just drop any registered players that aren't in the gameroom.  This will make sure we don't have a forfeit for someone that was planning on arriving for a later round.  They (and anyone who didn't sign up ahead of time) can register again when they are able to play.

For subsequent games, I was planning on a 5 minute break after the finish of the last game.  I think this was about how long Omar gave us on the Blitz tourney, but I don't recall for sure.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2010, 7:55am »

I think that sounds like a good approach. I will change the announcement on Saturday to ask players to go into the chat room to get updates. Between rounds you will need to remind players to register and unregister themselves so that you have the correct players for pairing the round.

Also players can stay in the chat room during the game since the moves displayed to spectators are delayed.

A 5 minute break after the last game sounds good. That way even the last game players will get a short break.
IP Logged
DarkAngelCryo
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #5928

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2010, 7:09pm »

on Dec 8th, 2010, 2:35pm, Nombril wrote:
Thanks for signing up DarkAngelCryo!  And welcome to the Arimaa community.

You're welcom and thank you. Unfortunately, it appears the internet at my house is a bit iffy right now. There is somebody coming to fix it tomorrow morning so hopefully i can still participate in the tournament.
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2010, 7:31am »

We had 12 people turn out at different times for yesterday's Swiss Tournament.  Thanks for coming, and I hope everyone had a good time.

aaaa had a great showing, going undefeated for the day.  Honorable mention goes to DarkAngelCryo, for playing their first HvsH games and also being the only player with the stamina to play all 5 games.  (The one bye was forced due to an odd number of players.)

Results (ordered first by wins, then total games played):

1. aaaa: 4-1-0
2. Sconibulus: 2-1-2
2. Nombril: 2-1-2
3. rabbits: 2-3-0
4. Hippo: 1-2-2
5. Max: 1-3-1
6. Manuel:1-4-0
6. Omar: 1-4-0
6. The_Jeh: 1-4-0
7. DarkAngelCryo: 0-1-4
8. Eltripas: 0-3-2
8. student_t_w: 0-3-2
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 9:31am »

Congrats aaaa. Thanks everyone for taking part in this. I really liked being able to join and drop out at anytime. I was planning to play all the rounds, but after the first round something came up and I was able to drop out. Also the time control was slow enough that I would not lose due to my slow reaction time, while still being fast enough that a game could be finished in about an hour. Thanks for organizing this Eric.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.