Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 2:12pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Warm Up game »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Warm Up game
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Warm Up game  (Read 952 times)
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Warm Up game
« on: Dec 4th, 2010, 5:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone interested in a warm up game for the 2011 World Championship?  It will also be a chance for any newcomers to practice using the scheduling page, and also for anyone that wants to play at the WC preliminary match time controls.  Of course, folks not playing in the WC are welcome to play!

I'm figuring on just matching 1vs2, 3vs4, etc. based on WHR ratings.  Unless anyone has a better idea?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/events/reg.cgi?e=2010decwarmup
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Warm Up game
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2010, 11:06pm »

Thanks for organizing Nombril.  I have signed up.  Perhaps this could be added to the events calendar?
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2010, 7:18am »

If we have an odd number of players, does anyone want to be scheduled for two games?  (Omar, will the Scheduler tool allow this? I do see that I can add the same person twice on the Manual Pairings in the TD tool.)

On the subject of pairings, a few other ideas were suggested in the chat room yesterday.  I wanted to give everyone a chance to 'vote' and/or offer some pros/cons to each of these.  Otherwise I'll just pick on Monday night. Grin

Two points to remember:
1.  We have 13 players signed up with a very wide range of ratings (from 1400 to 2500)
2.  It is only one game, we won't ever pair a second round based on the results from the first.

Options:
A.  Adjacent pairing.
B.  Split into two bands, and slide pair each group.
C.  Split into two bands, and random pair each group.

For either of the Splits, I would would use my discretion for where to divide the players into two groups.

Would it be reasonable to use my discretion to adjust pairings to eliminate any games with a rating difference of more than 300 points?

PS, I didn't known what adjacent/slide/fold meant, I found a good summary here:  http://senseis.xmp.net/?GroupPairing
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2010, 10:19am »

I vote for adjacent pairing as the most sensible for a one-game tournament.

Unfortunately, my schedule for the coming weekend is unpredictable, with unsettled travel plans that are perhaps to be influenced by the impending death/funeral of one of my wife's cousins.  I would like to take my chances and hope that I get a game time that works out for me, but if an odd number of players are signed up, please just drop me to eliminate the chance that I disrupt the tournament.
IP Logged

Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15th, 2010, 11:11am »

I was wondering which rating system was used, because some games seem quite close in rating, but others, like mine, seem to be definetely non-adjacent.
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15th, 2010, 1:28pm »

I used WHR.  Your game is a rating of 1807 vs 1594, so much closer as compared to the gameroom rating.

Here is a full listing of the players and ratings used in making the adjacent pairs:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/events/showGames.cgi?e=2010decwarmup
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2010, 2:54pm »

A quick update on the players, in case anyone noticed the change in the scheduled games.  lianruo had intended to sign up bot_LCBO.  Omar was able to exchange of bot for player in the same time slot as originally scheduled.  The rating change would not have changed the pairings.  Please let me know if there are any objections.
IP Logged

DarkAngelCryo
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #5928

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2010, 3:28pm »

no problems here
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 10:13pm »

Thanks everyone who made their game time.  The gold players (for the completed games) were undefeated!

Results:
Adanac*Tuksg43
omar*Nombrilg44
woh*Weirdo87g49
mojyaschikEltripas*f1
ArifSyed*722caasig34
Labradorboyrozencrantza0
DarkAngelCryobot_LCBO a0

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/eventgames.cgi?e=201012+Warm+Up+R1

For the prediction contest, Omar had the most best guesses, and lavalamp was the runner up.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 10:01am »

Thanks for running this Eric. It gave me a chance to test out the spectator contest programs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.