Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 Arimaa Challenge »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 Arimaa Challenge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 Arimaa Challenge  (Read 9709 times)
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: 2011 Arimaa Challenge
« Reply #30 on: Mar 11th, 2011, 6:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Oh, that makes sense... I wrongly assumed 2464 was the previous rating for sharp. Thanks for the explanation!
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2011, 6:01pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Mar 11th, 2011, 10:10pm »

Thanks, 722caasi, for being the first one to complete all four games of the screening.  I was very impressed with your last game against sharp; you had a comfortable material advantage and a solid position as well.  Thanks for showing us that sharp is beatable.
IP Logged

Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

« Reply #32 on: Mar 11th, 2011, 10:19pm »

Thanks for ignoring the ends of my games Smiley
Sharp isn't too hard to beat if you don't get swarmed and you can play an endgame. Best way to not get swarmed? Tie down their elephant. Thus, give horse hostages.
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #33 on: Mar 11th, 2011, 10:25pm »

on Mar 11th, 2011, 10:19pm, 722caasi wrote:
Best way to not get swarmed? Tie down their elephant. Thus, give horse hostages.

This could be a very valuable tip.  I'll be watching further games to see how this pans out.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #34 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 7:53am »

on Mar 11th, 2011, 4:19pm, chessandgo wrote:

I'll get a shot at marwin tomorrow hopefully.

I meant at quad and/or at marwin. Marwin, check Smiley Based on that sole game, I'm not impressed by marwin's trap control (and not by its treatment of advanced rabbits either, like sharp). Is bot_quad available to play only when aaaa runs it?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #35 on: Mar 13th, 2011, 10:16pm »

The_Jeh's win over marwin increases sharp's lead to 2.5.  The drama of the screening has changed from "which bot will win?" to "can anyone beat sharp?"  (besides chessandgo, I mean)
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2011, 11:21am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #36 on: Mar 14th, 2011, 2:39am »

I hope there are still players whose have a chance. But sharp looked like easily be in top 10. I hope Tuks and Adanac would concentrate better for the other try.

Wow good news for humanity ... Sharp totally lost in the ending with aaaa.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2011, 6:36pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #37 on: Mar 14th, 2011, 6:44pm »

on Mar 13th, 2011, 10:16pm, Fritzlein wrote:
The drama of the screening has changed from "which bot will win?" to "can anyone beat sharp?"

Just as I say it, it becomes untrue.  Aaaa's win over sharp cuts sharp's lead to 1.5.  Plus Manuel's win over sharp and Hippo's loss to marwin in uncompleted pairs have narrowed the gap in performance between the two bots to just 2274 to 2158 in sharp's favor.  This may yet be a race for which bot qualifies, and the Arimaa Challenge might not yet be in danger.
IP Logged

foggy
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6010

« Reply #38 on: Mar 15th, 2011, 3:27am »

What is the link for screening results? Previously I used the link "Play the screening bots" from announcements section, but that link is not always available (and is not available now). It would be good to have a stable link for results (maybe in coverage or tournament description pages).

Edit: Now announcements section is updated, so I can answer my question about the link: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/challenge/2011/showBestBot.cgi. And the new version of the page is great - track all screening games and comments in 1 place (thanks!).
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2011, 4:47am by foggy » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15th, 2011, 1:44pm »

Omar, I second foggy's thanks for listing all the screening games in one place.  That makes it easy to catch up on what I missed, even though nobody was chatting about it in the chat room today.

Tuks victory over marwin puts sharp's lead back at 2.5.  I'm thrilled with the broad participation in this year's screening.  At this rate it seems possible we will surpass even last year's record participation.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2011, 1:46pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #40 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 12:38am »

The plot thickens.  Marwin's victory over Harren cuts sharp's lead back to only 1.5.  In addition, marwin has pulled ahead in performance rating, 2128 to 2104.  This reflects marwin's victories in several incomplete pairs.  If all pairs are completed at the level of performance so far, marwin will probably pull ahead.
IP Logged

SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Skepticism is the Immune System of Science

Email

« Reply #41 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 3:00pm »

If a computer won the Arimaa challenge it would be huge!  Newsworthy!  But...

Would people actually take it seriously if the absolute best Human players weren't represented?  I'm thinking about that huge schism/fiasco in the chess world, where the Official World Chess Champion from the Official World Chess Regulating Body, FIDE, was not considered the actual best chess player in the world by virtually every chess player and media organization, because Gary Weinstein (Kasparov) didn't compete in it.

I'd hate to have to see anybody lose $10,000 twice, because the first time it seemed tainted...

• Note:  please forgive me if I don't understand the Arimaa challenge rules well enough •
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #42 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 4:43pm »

on Mar 18th, 2011, 3:00pm, SpeedRazor wrote:
If a computer won the Arimaa challenge it would be huge!  Newsworthy!  But...

Would people actually take it seriously if the absolute best Human players weren't represented?  I'm thinking about that huge schism/fiasco in the chess world, where the Official World Chess Champion from the Official World Chess Regulating Body, FIDE, was not considered the actual best chess player in the world by virtually every chess player and media organization, because Gary Weinstein (Kasparov) didn't compete in it.

I'd hate to have to see anybody lose $10,000 twice, because the first time it seemed tainted...

• Note:  please forgive me if I don't understand the Arimaa challenge rules well enough •

The $10,000 prize will only be won once, not twice, but yes it will be a shame if the #1 rated player does not participate in the year that the prize is claimed by  a bot developer.  Even if the # 1, 2 & 3 ranked players are all defeated you could get different criticisms if the # 4, 5 & 6 players were a combined 6-0 against the winning bot in the screening round (it’s not clearly better than all the best humans after all?)  But, in both cases, I would consider that a legitimate victory by the bot developer against steep odds.  If the prize is claimed before 2020 under any circumstances then I’d say that the developers have gone a lot further in 15 years than I ever expected they would when I joined the Arimaa community in 2005.  It was only two years ago that a bot lost a horse handicap game in the Challenge Match, for example.
IP Logged

SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Skepticism is the Immune System of Science

Email

« Reply #43 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 5:05pm »

Thanks very much Adanac, all of your arguments make sense to me  Smiley
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #44 on: Mar 20th, 2011, 10:32am »

It looks like there's hope for Marwin yet...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.