Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « cheating in the WC »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   cheating in the WC
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cheating in the WC  (Read 3366 times)
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

cheating in the WC
« on: Dec 14th, 2011, 2:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hanzack and I are considering cheating our way to a world title by entering the WC as a team. Thus increasing our playing strength and giving us two chances.  

I think it's good for Arimaa, cos it will mean we play stronger and Arimaa might have a different champ.

It would be *bad* for Arimaa if anyone found out we were cheating, but of course we will deny it and say this post was just a joke/devils advocate/philosophy experiment. And nobody will be able to prove it. We will take the secret to our graves.

I think it's also a fun idea to make this public to add to the drama of the WC. People will watch our games closely and speculate if we're cheating. They will never know, of course.

I think it's only slightly immoral. You could say it's unfair on c&g cos we're cheating him out of another title, but he won 3 already. I think he will be happy to lose to a strong hybrid opponent. I don't care about the money. I'm a zillionaire. I'll give anything we win to charity.

Ohh, and if words and ideas upset you, and you don't like playing with trolls or advocating devils, just ignore this post.

For the rest of you: What do you think of my idea? Also would it actually make us stronger? I think it would. We would only collaborate on very sharp positions when we have some reserve to use.

Of course, Omar will have to publicly say he does not approve, but I will always suspect he secretly thinks it's a cute idea and good for the game.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011, 3:04am by froody » IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: cheating in the WC
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 4:31am »

You're nuts.

OK, here's a quick and dirty way of invigilating a match.

Make the players play at a physical table. They provide a live webcam feed of the room they're playing in. An invigilator watching the feed makes the players show him as they turn off the monitor, and then train the webcam onto the table they'll be playing at. The invigilator announces the moves to the player. The player makes his moves on the board and shouts "Send", and the moves are updated by the invigilator. Something along those lines...
IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 5:06am »

I don't understand the point of this. Do you really think you're going to stop me cheating with a web-cam? Surely I don't need to explain all the ways to get around this. Send a real person to my house, no problem, I'll still be able to cheat. It's very easy. The point is, there is no way anyone is going to try and stop me, and even if you did, it would fail.
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 5:07am »

Also that is slander! I am NOT NUTS. Apologise at once or I'm suing.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011, 5:08am by froody » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 7:08am »

Hah.
on Dec 14th, 2011, 2:33am, froody wrote:
but he won 3 already.

4 by the last count actually :p  
I'll be fine to be cheated out of another title, but not out of one I've won in the past. Give back to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar (do you guys say that in english?).

Oh and what does WWBFD mean?
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011, 7:08am by chessandgo » IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 7:19am »

What Would Bobby Fischer Do?

We do not say that about Ceasar. What is the connection?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 8:30am »

If you could effectively cheat I would worry, but in this case I will happily accept your entry fee as an increase to my prize payout.

For the future, I note that it is a bad idea to make the Arimaa World Championship more about money, as it encourages psychopathic behavior.  (I know, froody, you are only pretending to be a psychopath, but I am only pretending to believe you, so we are even.)
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011, 8:34am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 9:07am »

(((((-:

I am a psychopath but I want people to love me.

And it's nothing to do with the money. If I wanted to make money I'd sell pizza instead of playing Arimaa for hours.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011, 9:12am by froody » IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 9:47am »

"I think sensational players and great commentators is what attracts non-player spectators." --Omar  

Perhaps I misunderstood what he meant by 'sensational' Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 10:17am »

on Dec 14th, 2011, 9:47am, froody wrote:
"I think sensational players and great commentators is what attracts non-player spectators." --Omar

Incidentally, Omar's theory will be tested this cycle.  We have the hype he wants but not the large tournament participation that I want.  In terms of games played and unique users per day, the Arimaa community grew about 10% compared to the previous year, so we should expect the audience for the commentated games to grow by 10% as well.  That's the benchmark; if we exceed it I will tip my hat to Omar for knowing how to promote his game.  If we fall short, I'll call the tournament format a failure.
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #10 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 10:30am »

on Dec 14th, 2011, 10:17am, Fritzlein wrote:

Incidentally, Omar's theory will be tested this cycle.  We have the hype he wants but not the large tournament participation that I want.  In terms of games played and unique users per day, the Arimaa community grew about 10% compared to the previous year, so we should expect the audience for the commentated games to grow by 10% as well.  That's the benchmark; if we exceed it I will tip my hat to Omar for knowing how to promote his game.  If we fall short, I'll call the tournament format a failure.

I suppose part of what could make this championship a success versus a failure is as Omar wanted, lower rated players have not signed up for the tournament, leaving higher rated players. Seeing stronger players playing against other stronger players are the games that people want to watch. Hardly anybody wants to see me while I play a game, whether I'm dominating, getting dominated, or up in a fair match (the latter might be interesting to some, but would be difficult to identify before a game starts). So just because there should be a higher density games pitting two strong opponents against each other, that could create a larger audience.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 2:42pm »

on Dec 14th, 2011, 10:30am, Dolus wrote:
So just because there should be a higher density games pitting two strong opponents against each other, that could create a larger audience.

Indeed.  But my hypothesis was that if 33 players register for the tournament, those top-level games have a built-in audience of 31.  In general I feel that people won't watch Arimaa unless they also play Arimaa.  For example, my father doesn't enjoy watching me play even if I am battling chessandgo for world supremacy.  He doesn't understand the moves, so it is boring to him.  Omar, however, believes that Arimaa is fun to watch as long as the commentary is good.  I guess that he can also produce members of his family as examples of people who don't play Arimaa but like to watch it along with commentary.

We'll have about the same number of high-level games as last year, so we'll see if the increased density helps build the audience.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011, 2:43pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Eggman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6816

« Reply #12 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 2:42pm »

on Dec 14th, 2011, 7:19am, froody wrote:
What Would Bobby Fischer Do?

We do not say that about Ceasar. What is the connection?

Sure we do, though I've usually heard it "Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_unto_Caesar...

IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

« Reply #13 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 4:40pm »

How is this relevant to me not making explicit that c&g has 4 titles?
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #14 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 4:46pm »

on Dec 14th, 2011, 4:40pm, froody wrote:
How is this relevant to me not making explicit that c&g has 4 titles?

C&G has four titles?

Chess Champion
Go Champion
Arimaa Champion

What's the fourth? Is C&G a Tic-Tac-Toe champion?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.