Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « State of the Challenge 2012 »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   State of the Challenge 2012
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: State of the Challenge 2012  (Read 6074 times)
Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

Re: State of the Challenge 2012
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 1:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
I am afraid, though, that your suggestions to change the rules are too late.

Why do you think it is too late? The arimaa is a baby-game compared to chess which is thousand years old. Smiley

Quote:
Arimaa demonstrates that when it comes to serious game playing, humans still dominate. By offering this challenge we hope to increase the awareness that the difficult problem of teaching computers to play strategy games has not yet been tackled. There is much work that needs to be done in understanding how humans play strategy games and producing similar capability in software. We hope this challenge will spur some new and radically different ways of replicating this astonishing human capability in software. The breakthroughs that will come from such research can have significant applications in a wide variety of fields.

Now look what is happening. Bot developers are not teaching AI strategy, but teaching bots to be strong in tactics! They are adopting the same algorithms that are known to work in chess. How is it going to spur replicating human capabilities? No way... The challenge is flawed.

FLAWED! FLAWED! FLAWED!
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #31 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 5:11am »

on Feb 19th, 2012, 5:00pm, tharkun wrote:

His nickname is Carrot. He was introduced to Arimaa by Harren.

Ok, thanks! He's very young also, that's nice.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #32 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 10:53am »

on Feb 20th, 2012, 1:53am, Boo wrote:
Now look what is happening. Bot developers are not teaching AI strategy, but teaching bots to be strong in tactics! They are adopting the same algorithms that are known to work in chess. How is it going to spur replicating human capabilities? No way... The challenge is flawed.

FLAWED! FLAWED! FLAWED!

Sure, I don't mind if you think the Arimaa Challenge is flawed.  My point was only that Arimaa per se is flawless.  Smiley
IP Logged

tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

« Reply #33 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 2:12pm »

on Feb 20th, 2012, 1:53am, Boo wrote:

I understand what you mean, and I am guilty of adopting known algorithms. Embarassed  

But I think there is a lot of room for free and inovative thinking that can be done inside the alphabeta algorithm. Like training evaluation functions, pruners, tactical threat analysers etc. This will probably never replicate human thinking but it might still advance the field of AI.

So I don't think that the challenge is flawed, but instead a possible way of finding one missing piece of the big AI puzzle.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #34 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 2:56pm »

I don't think any stigma should be attached to the development of bots in which only conventional techniques feature prominently. At the very least, they actually put the claim of Arimaa's supposed computer intractability to the test and they additionally serve as excellent benchmarks to gauge the effectiveness of non-orthodox approaches when these do happen to be tried out (which was the original motivation behind OpFor).
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #35 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 3:11pm »

There is still progress to be made using existing techniques. When progress stops with these techniques it will be time to find ways to achieve what these techniques can't.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.