Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 8:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Proposal:  2012-2013 Knockout Match Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Proposal:  2012-2013 Knockout Match Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Proposal:  2012-2013 Knockout Match Tournament  (Read 3304 times)
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

Re: Proposal:  2012-2013 Knockout Match Tournament
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16th, 2012, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 15th, 2012, 1:54pm, MerlokDD wrote:
How about a swiss system?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

The same number of games for everyone,
from round to round more and more games
of players with almost equal strength.

I'd love to have a few games with overwhelming
oponents and later some more with my strength.

From 2008-2011 the World Championship was split into two parts:

1. An Open Classic with a Swiss System to determine the top 8 qualifiers & seeds.
2. An 8-player double-elimination World Championship Finals.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2011_World_Championship

There will be a big debate sometime this year about which format to use during the 2013 World Championship.  I liked the previous system because it gave everyone a chance to compete for the top seed in the World Championship Finals.  I have no idea how the debate will unfold but I’m pretty sure there’s more support for a triple- or quadruple-elimination than a Swiss System.  But, I might end up on the Swiss System side of the debate anyway.  Something like a 10-round Swiss followed by a Semi-Final & Final amongst the top 4 finishers would allow the tournament to wrap up by the end of March.  But there will be passionate arguments for the quadruple-elimination which leaves everyone in control of their own destiny (versus a situation where somebody finishes 8-2 in a Swiss and ends up 5th by a tie-breaker).  The quadruple-elimination would have the drawback of potentially running into May (I suppose that’s an advantage if you want the tournament to continue into May but I think it would scare quite a few people away).  Who knows, maybe some other hybrid system will win the debate (the only thing I'm sure of is that it won't be a round-robin format  Grin).  Anyway, that’s something to worry about later.  I’m not trying to trigger a 2013 WC debate right now  Undecided

Another idea we could resurrect is a 30-second/move weekend tournament.  There were one-day Swiss fast tournaments in 2009 that had only 4 and 6 players, respectively, for the two events.  However, the Arimaa community has grown quite a bit in 3 years and I believe we could get at least 8+ participants for a similar tournament later in 2012.  Maybe a two-day or two-weekend event would be better so that the games don’t have to be squeezed into a 6 or 8 hour period?  One problem was that we catered to the Americas & Europe with the timing of the games in 2009.  To include East Asia & Aus/NZ would mean having games start only in a narrow window from perhaps 19:00 GMT to 22:00 GMT.  But it could be done in a multi-day tournament or just make different tournaments for different geographical regions.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2009_Saturday_Swiss_Tournaments

For this event that I’m proposing, I prefer the folding-bracket rather than a Swiss system.  It’ll be 8 players maximum so the first round would be 1 vs. 8 to 4 vs. 5.  I think it’s more fair to give the 4th & 5th ranked players a chance to face one another rather than to put one up against the top seed and the other against the bottom seed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.