Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 Postal Mixer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 Postal Mixer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  12 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 Postal Mixer  (Read 16505 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

2011 Postal Mixer
« on: Jan 5th, 2011, 4:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It would be funny to see 20 games between arima_master and 722caasi ... Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2011, 4:53am by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2011 Postal Mixer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 8:34am »

on Jan 5th, 2011, 4:52am, Hippo wrote:
It would be funny to see 20 games between arima_master and 722caasi ... Smiley

Heheh.  The pairing algorithm limits each pair of player to two games, one with each color assignment.  Thus, in the past, even players who have requested fifty games have only gotten fifteen or so.  It would be fun to follow the record participation of the World Championship with record participation in the Postal Mixer, but that seems unlikely given that last year's Postal Mixer was free and this year's costs ten dollars.  I expect that as usual one will be able to get about eleven games without repeat pairings and about fifteen or sixteen games including repeat pairings.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 4:28pm »

You can count me in for the Postal Mixer this year.  Looking forward to it.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 3:46pm »

on Jan 12th, 2011, 4:28pm, mistre wrote:
You can count me in for the Postal Mixer this year.  Looking forward to it.

Nice to hear from you Mark. I'm glad you can play this year. I hope we have a record breaking turn out.
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 10:59pm »

Thanks Omar.  I took a bit of a break from Arimaa, but I am back now.  Thanks for continuing to follow up with me, your contact eventually led me into plunging back in and seeing what I missed being away for a while.  I just missed the start of the WC, but hopefully I can play in it next year.

FYI, I registered for the postal mixer, but I don't show up on the player list for some reason.

IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27th, 2011, 2:13pm »

Sorry about the confusion Mark. Although it's mentioned on the rules page, I forgot to mention on the registration page about making a contribution to the prize fund. I've made a note to add that. I've been waiting to get an email or a payment from the player before activating the registration.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2011/

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2011/prizefund/
IP Logged
Heyckie
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4741

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2011, 9:25pm »

I made a 30$ (>2*10$) donation to the WC prize fund when I registered to play in the Arimaa Open. I would like to play in the postal mixer as well but my registration doesn't appear to get completed unless I donate to "the prize fund". Is there a separate prize fund for the postal mixer and if so, how does one make a contribution there? It seems kind of silly to add more money to the WC fund now that the tournaments are already over.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21st, 2011, 10:34am »

on Mar 20th, 2011, 9:25pm, Heyckie wrote:
It seems kind of silly to add more money to the WC fund now that the tournaments are already over.

Yes, any donations that are made now are not going to the prize fund, but rather to particular individuals.  If I took second place, I could sign up twenty of my closest friends to the Postal Mixer, allocating all of their entry fees to second place, i.e. back to myself.  And even when it isn't me paying myself, it is silly to be able to direct money, not on the basis of an achievement, but on the basis of who among the winners one happens to like.  Omar should close the prize fund for this year, pay out the prizes, and if there needs to be a receptacle for further entry fees, let it be the 2012 prize fund.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23rd, 2011, 10:52pm »

on Mar 20th, 2011, 9:25pm, Heyckie wrote:
I made a 30$ (>2*10$) donation to the WC prize fund when I registered to play in the Arimaa Open. I would like to play in the postal mixer as well but my registration doesn't appear to get completed unless I donate to "the prize fund". Is there a separate prize fund for the postal mixer and if so, how does one make a contribution there? It seems kind of silly to add more money to the WC fund now that the tournaments are already over.

You are signed up for the Postal Mixer now. If anyone else is in the same situation, please send me a message.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23rd, 2011, 10:57pm »

on Mar 21st, 2011, 10:34am, Fritzlein wrote:

Yes, any donations that are made now are not going to the prize fund, but rather to particular individuals.  If I took second place, I could sign up twenty of my closest friends to the Postal Mixer, allocating all of their entry fees to second place, i.e. back to myself.  And even when it isn't me paying myself, it is silly to be able to direct money, not on the basis of an achievement, but on the basis of who among the winners one happens to like.  Omar should close the prize fund for this year, pay out the prizes, and if there needs to be a receptacle for further entry fees, let it be the 2012 prize fund.

If there are any more registrations I guess I will just have to apply the full amount towards the game winners portion.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #10 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 7:52am »

Omar is it possible to sign up bot_briareus for 18 games?

I think I contributed $20 to the prize fund so that should cover the WCC participation and the postal mixer, but please correct me if that's wrong.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2011, 7:59am by rbarreira » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 11:04am »

Thanks for entering briareus.  It increases the fun of the Postal Mixer (at least for me) to have at least one bot participating, as a benchmark for the ongoing man vs. machine struggle.  My game against clueless in the 2010 Postal Mixer was one of my more tense and instructive games.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 1:26pm »

on Mar 28th, 2011, 7:52am, rbarreira wrote:
Omar is it possible to sign up bot_briareus for 18 games?

I think I contributed $20 to the prize fund so that should cover the WCC participation and the postal mixer, but please correct me if that's wrong.

I've added bot_briareus to the Postal Mixer. It would be good to have some more bots play in the mixer. I think some of the other developers have also overpaid and could add their bots. I guess it's more a matter of being able to run the bot on their computer for that long. Just send me a message if want to enter your bot.
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 4:43am »

Eh. I finally decided to register for the mixer. I'm afraid I'll get hopelessly beaten but I guess I'll learn something.  Smiley
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 2:52pm »

on Mar 30th, 2011, 4:43am, UruramTururam wrote:
Eh. I finally decided to register for the mixer. I'm afraid I'll get hopelessly beaten but I guess I'll learn something.  Smiley

I don't think you will regret it.  Postal games encourage a very different kind of learning about Arimaa than live games or puzzles or reading about Arimaa.  You must rely entirely on your own resources, just like a live game, but you have as long as you like to play, just as if you were studying.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  12 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.