Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 4:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2013 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2013 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2013 World Championship  (Read 10707 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2013 World Championship
« Reply #15 on: Jan 5th, 2013, 6:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 5th, 2013, 6:32am, odin73 wrote:
I think it was a great idea to lower the entrance fee significantly. This should be kept for the future.  Cool

Thanks!  I expect, however, that the continuance of a large tournament depends 100% on volunteer effort, because Omar no longer has the time to make it happen by himself.  The tournament manager tool is a huge help, but I will definitely not be running the 2014 Arimaa World Championship.  Will someone else step forward as TD so that we can have another large tournament?  Time will tell.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #16 on: Jan 7th, 2013, 9:32pm »

Ooh, I get to be in the opening match on Wednesday night!  This is going to be exciting!

Good luck everyone.
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #17 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 12:42pm »

I had a dream about the Arimaa World Championship this morning.  In my dream I was distracted by the usual work and family obligations, but was well aware that I had a game coming up this Saturday at 2:00pm.  Unfortunately, when I went to the gameroom on Saturday I was an hour late for the game!  Apparently, the time I saw for my game was an hour off for some reason, maybe daylight savings or something.  I don't know.  

I figured it was worth mentioning since this has happened to in the past.

In the gameroom, you can double check your game time by clicking on your name in the 'My Games' section and it will show the number of hours until your match.  If this isn't consistent with what you see as the game time, you might need to change your time zone settings or something.  
IP Logged

odin73
Forum Guru

« Reply #18 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 3:22pm »

Ocmiente, that´s a very good hint!  

I just checked that for my game at Sunday and discovereed that it will take place an hour earlier as indicated!

Everybody should check the correct game time!  

IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #19 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 4:17pm »

on Jan 8th, 2013, 12:42pm, ocmiente wrote:
In the gameroom, you can double check your game time by clicking on your name in the 'My Games' section and it will show the number of hours until your match.  If this isn't consistent with what you see as the game time, you might need to change your time zone settings or something.  

Be careful with the number of hours till your match.  I just checked and it was an hour off (4 days, 21 hours), but I think this is because it was 4 days, 21 hours, and 55 minutes and the minutes are rounded off.

The window that opens when you click your name also shows you what time it is in YLT (your local time).  Make sure this time is correct and the game time should be correct.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 9th, 2013, 11:16am »

Once the game is less than a day away, the countdown displays minutes as well, removing the confusion.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 3:24pm »

For the record, the first round got off to a galloping start.  Aaaa got some great crosstables going on the event report wiki.  We had nearly blanket live audio commentary, thanks to clyring, supersamu, Arimabuff, Adanac, and perhaps others who showed up without signing up?   We had several successful audio recordings for posterity, although video recording turned out to be more of an issue.

The peak attendance numbers for the first week were 34 players on-line, 23 in chat, and 33 listening to the radio.  The chat room was buzzing all week long.  This tournament is a truly communal event.  I am pleased as punch to see such participation already in the preliminaries.

Of course, it wouldn't be real life if there weren't a few unforeseen technical glitches.  Sixteen of the twenty games were decided on the board, but three timed out and one game was not played because the players did not show up.  One of the timeouts was due to a poor Internet connection on the player's end, another was due to the player having his volume turned down, and the third was at the end of the longest game of the round.

The one unplayed game was Brendan_M vs. Zkid.  Neither arrived within fifteen minutes, triggering an automatic double-forfeit.  However, Brendan_M arrived forty-five minutes after the hour, thinking he was fifteen minutes early for his game.  The automated e-mail informing him of his game time in his local time zone was off by one hour, because the gameroom did not know Brendan_M's correct time zone.

After much deliberation and discussion in the chat room, it seemed the best course of action was to award Brendan_M a forfeit win.  The incorrect game time can be considered a server error.  My intent was to treat server errors either with an immediate game restart if possible, or a double-bye if a restart would have to be delayed.  A double-bye seemed incorrect given that Zkid never arrived, and it emerged that giving one player a bye and the other a forfeit is not technically possible.  The actual result could be indeed be considered the result of a restart one hour later, when Brendan_M then won by forfeit because Zkid was absent.

I would find it unacceptable to set a precedent that is easily open to abuse.  A player could intentionally set his gameroom timezone off by an hour in order to have an excuse for up to an hour of tardiness.  To close this loophole, I will give game times for all future rounds in the UTC time zone, and players will be responsible for converting it to local time.

I made one other ruling on the spot.  Browni3141 vs. herima was marked as abandoned seven minutes after the hour.  This is a server malfunction I have never seen before.  The game was not started, and could not have been started, because herima was not yet seated.  I am not sure why the server intervened to end a non-started game at that time; hopefully Omar can investigate and determine the cause.  In any case,  herima arrived before the fifteen-minute forfeit deadline, so I created a second game, which was then played to completion with no further hiccups.

Finally, when hull left the chat room before his game, he somehow accidentally logged back in.  The other folks in the chat room astutely did not make comments about hull's game, so there is no ruling to make.

Advice to players for round two:

* Enter your time preferences before the Monday 24:00 UTC deadline.
* Make sure your game room time zone is correct
* Convert correctly from UTC to your local time; the UTC time is authoritative.
* Leave the chat room before playing.
* Don't send your move at the last second, in case your Internet connection is flaky.
* Keep your volume on so that you can hear the clock ticking.
* Remember to have fun!

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2013, 3:38pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 7:14pm »

Can you send local times as something like "indicative only", along with the authoritative UTC?  For those of us who know our gameroom time is correct?  I'd be more likely to make errors converting from UTC if that's all I get.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 9:21am »

on Jan 13th, 2013, 7:14pm, 99of9 wrote:
Can you send local times as something like "indicative only", along with the authoritative UTC?  For those of us who know our gameroom time is correct?  I'd be more likely to make errors converting from UTC if that's all I get.

OK, maybe only giving UTC is going overboard, but I will have to find a way to make it absolutely clear that showing up late because you relied on YLT results in a forfeit.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #24 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 10:02am »

on Jan 13th, 2013, 3:24pm, Fritzlein wrote:
and 33 listening to the radio.

I think the radio count was 34 when I joined last night.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #25 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 2:39pm »

on Jan 14th, 2013, 9:21am, Fritzlein wrote:
OK, maybe only giving UTC is going overboard, but I will have to find a way to make it absolutely clear that showing up late because you relied on YLT results in a forfeit.

I actually think that making people go through the effort of converting UTC on their own should lower the chance of any future foul-up. You may want to add a standard warning about daylight saving time though.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 5:32pm »

on Jan 14th, 2013, 10:02am, chessandgo wrote:
I think the radio count was 34 when I joined last night.

Hmmm, there were 34 on-line at one points that I saw, but the radio saves the peak number, so checking it at the end of the day, as I did, should be authoritative, no?  Checking the chat archives, nobody reported 34 peak listeners, although I did report the 34 peak simultaneous logins.  Anyway, this is a record we will hopefully break soon, so it shouldn't matter too much what the high-water marks were on the first round.
IP Logged

Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #27 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 2:08am »

If the UTC is the official game time, I would like to see not only in the email, but also in the scheduler (one more column next to YLT), also in the Scheduled Game count down window.  
BTW I find it confusing when I see my game scheduled at "Sun 10:00 pm". Is it YLT or UTC? Would be more clear if it was "Sun 8:00 pm UTC (Sun 10:00 pm YLT)"
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #28 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 2:20am »

I hope the time given in the game room for the games is still the local one.

Is it?
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #29 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 6:03am »

Oh ok, sorry.

Btw the pairing email says "Your Round 2 game against  has been scheduled for Thr 12:00 am UTC" when one gets a bye, don't be surprised for the next rounds!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.