Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « April one day open swiss tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   April one day open swiss tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: April one day open swiss tournament  (Read 1088 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

April one day open swiss tournament
« on: Apr 9th, 2014, 8:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The second weekend tournament of the year is coming on April 26th. This will be an open swiss tournament with games played at 60 seconds per move. It will start at 8:00am EDT and continue through 9:00pm. The rest of the details can be found on the tournament page.

I will not have time to run a tournament in May or June, so this is probably your last chance to play in a live tournament for the next few months.

Register now and be sure to come out and play.

Janzert
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: April one day open swiss tournament
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2014, 7:40am »

For pairing, what do you think of using players win percentage instead of win numbers (that should be a reasonable analoguous for join and drop tourmanents to the win number in fixed rounds tournaments)? Saying by default that a player who just joined has 50% or example. That could avoid things like a 0-0 player being considered below a 1-5 player for pairing?
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: April one day open swiss tournament
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2014, 8:06am »

That's an interesting idea. I am using a different pairing method than was used in the last one by the way. Regarding the pairing method used last time, along with the problematic pairing for player's joining in later rounds, it also repeated bye assignment to the same person and probably some other problems that I'm not recalling at the moment.

So this time I'm using the method used from the swiss part of the WC. It counts by losses for determining the "bracket" assignment, so a fresh player joining in will start in the top bracket instead of at the bottom. I'm not sure it will be as good as bringing fresh players in toward the middle and it also doesn't assign the bye in quite the way I think would be ideal for these tournaments. But since it's something we already have and looks quite a bit better than what I used last time, I figured I try it next. Smiley

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.