Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 12:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « this game made me scream ... please help »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   this game made me scream ... please help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: this game made me scream ... please help  (Read 1457 times)
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

this game made me scream ... please help
« on: Apr 12th, 2011, 10:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=179545&s=w

I dont even know what to say. I realize I am extremely aggressive, I can't even really help that. I honestly though I had this up until I lost. Any and all advice is welcome because I don't even know where to begin on analysis (mostly because I can only watch a few moves before getting mad again).
IP Logged
Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

Re: this game made me scream ... please help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 3:29am »

Advice #1: having a free elephant is really useful- it probably would have been better to actually break the horse frame instead of starting the goal attack.
Advice #2: A one file goal attack takes forever, because the opponent can through everything at it to defend it. Two weak goal attacks often work better.
Advice #3: If you do not have full control of any traps, you are in danger-this happened to you starting at move 28.
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 7:51am »

After 4s the game is very hard for you, you've really been losing the whole way, I don't think you should be mad for not winning it. On 4g, you would like to play 4g md7e Ed6n Ed7s rd8s, as silver's camel would be blocked away from your attacking Horse by his own rabbit, that's usually very good. Silver could try to frame your Horse with 4s ec5n re8w x x, forcing you to withdraw your Horse with 5g Ed6s Ed5w Ec5w Hb6w. All in all 4g md7e Ed6n Ed7s rd8s is a solid option I think, withdrawing the Horse away from b6 is another possibility.

The bottom line is that a Horse frame is very often deadly, unless you can break the frame very quickly. Isaac's advice #1 is spot on. When breaking the frame is not possible, preventing silver's elephant from being rotated away from the frame is great. For example on move 7g, I'd consider 7g Mh6s Mh5w Mg5w Hd4n. You really want to block silver's central horse away from c5. Moreover, your caMel gets some kind of hold over silver's horse, so maybe silver will have to release your framed Hc6 in order to recentralize his elephant - that would be a good outcome for you.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2011, 7:55am by chessandgo » IP Logged

ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 11:54am »

Thank you guys. I can see where I went wrong general concept-wise rather than tactical moves which is what I need. The reason the frame didn't bother me was because at the time he had his camel horse elephant involved whereas I only had my elephant horse involved leaving me with the free camel. Once marwin was able to rotate out I thought I had created enough pressure to make up for the threat.  

again thanks
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 12:24pm »

on Apr 13th, 2011, 11:54am, ginrunner wrote:
The reason the frame didn't bother me was because at the time he had his camel horse elephant involved whereas I only had my elephant horse involved leaving me with the free camel.

Yet your camel wandered pretty aimlessly along the goal line and it did not cause any serious threat that time. And then the opponent's elephant was rotated out.
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 1:57pm »

on Apr 13th, 2011, 11:54am, ginrunner wrote:
Thank you guys. I can see where I went wrong general concept-wise rather than tactical moves which is what I need. The reason the frame didn't bother me was because at the time he had his camel horse elephant involved whereas I only had my elephant horse involved leaving me with the free camel. Once marwin was able to rotate out I thought I had created enough pressure to make up for the threat.  

again thanks

The whole point is that you should have been worried about that horse frame as the bot had a very easy way to rotate its camel out of the frame.  In the future - when faced with a frame -  ALWAYS think about possible rotations.
IP Logged

ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13th, 2011, 1:58pm »

I was trying to 1) free the horse from the back (couldn't because he kept making another threat) and 2) open up the back a bit making it easier to infiltrate with a rabbit. As the final result shows I was unsuccessful in both :-P
IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 12:57am »

By the way ... Thank you everyone.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.