Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « ralphabetsoup vs. bot_Loc2007P2 »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   ralphabetsoup vs. bot_Loc2007P2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ralphabetsoup vs. bot_Loc2007P2  (Read 894 times)
ralphabetsoup
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7412

ralphabetsoup vs. bot_Loc2007P2
« on: Feb 20th, 2012, 8:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm a beginner and I know I'm making a ton of mistakes, but honestly not sure where.

Part of the problem is that at this point even my wins feel random.  I've read the wikibook, and understand the basic strategies in the abstract, but not really in practice.

In this game, I know that I've botched the end game, but I have the feeling that it got away from me long before then.

What am I doing wrong?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/opengamewin.cgi?client=1&gameid=21 6566&role=v&side=w
IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

Re: ralphabetsoup vs. bot_Loc2007P2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 12:10am »

instead of critiquing specific moves I will try and give you some basic pointers. In order of what I noticed might be a weakness.

1) Don't attack with a single piece. You had a habit of trying to attack on a single wing with a single piece. When forming an attack try and use multiple pieces. For example the EH attack involves 2 pieces and is a basic building block of today's strategy.

2) Try not to lose control of your home traps. Something I personally keep in mind (when attacking or defending) is maintaining control of the squares next to a trap nearest to the walls (for example if we were talking about the c3 trap I would be referring to b3 and c2) is vital. On 29g the camel took control of g6 making the goal easier. 31g the horse took f7 solidifying the goal attack. There are other points in the game too.  

3) Have a plan. Even if that plan is constantly changing have an idea of what you want to do. This is very hard to do (I personally suck at this one) I noticed you had a lot of moves of just moving pieces around with no immediate or even near term benefit.  

There are some other things but those are the main things I would work on. You seem to have a grasp on not giving up easy captures which what I was expecting to see in the game so that is good. In more time of playing you should learn to see easy captures on the opponent. Also maybe look up "frames" in the wiki.
IP Logged
tharkun
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #7288

Re: ralphabetsoup vs. bot_Loc2007P2
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 5:13am »

Since ginrunner already covered most important points regarding strategy, I will add just one tactic.

You framed his rabbit in the f6-trap. It was defended by a gold horse on e6. Did you consider capturing the rabbit by removing the defender? For example, on move 14 you could put your elephant on d6 and pull away the horse next move.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.