Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 4:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Favourable positions... and still losing »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Favourable positions... and still losing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Favourable positions... and still losing  (Read 4431 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Favourable positions... and still losing
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17th, 2012, 9:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 17th, 2012, 2:41am, rbarreira wrote:
Interesting that you like blitz now and even use it for stress relief, I remember some time ago you quite disliked it as you said in this post:

Very true.  That is an extreme reversal on my part.  Stayed tuned for my opinion tomorrow: I might decide that I altogether dislike Arimaa!  Wink
IP Logged

Katsunami
Forum Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17th, 2012, 9:49am »

on Apr 16th, 2012, 10:00pm, Fritzlein wrote:

There is no way to tell who is watching a live game, so I am quite surprised that I had a spectator.  I'm thrilled if you learned something something from those games, because I'm not sure that I learned anything at all!  Tongue

Of course I can learn more from those games than you, because I know less Tongue Those games made me understand the "trap dance" much better, and also taught me that space is just as important as in chess, even despite the fact that there are no 7 square long moves moves or jumps.

Sometimes the plans I make work well (against the weaker bots), but I'm not yet accurate enough and make too many idiotic mistakes such as not seeing a goal in one.

Also, I'm not suffering from the "Oh noes, he's pulling my camel! Whaaaa!"-problem anymore, after I've seen you use that fact to actually advance your pieces and storm toward a trap to take it over, sometimes in the end even blockading the entire wing with just two pieces or so. Your opponent actually helps you to advance the piece he's pulling.

Quote:
Maybe also dropping to #3 in the world rankings frees me from worrying about being the best; now I can just play for the heck of it and let hanzack duke it out with chessandgo for the top spot.

Not being the first on this list can indeed take off some of the pressure, because being first creates the expectation (in others) that you should always win.

I may be wrong, but isn't hanzack somewhere around the 1600 mark at the moment? Also his profile says that he played a huge amount of silver games, and he loses much more games than he wins; or is "hanzack" the "experimentation account" of some other strong player?
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2012, 9:55am by Katsunami » IP Logged
hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #17 on: Apr 17th, 2012, 1:19pm »

Hanzack resigns many games he could win. The more important ratings are the WHR or WHRE event ratings (you can see them from the list of top players, I think). Hanzack is second in those.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.