Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 9:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Nombril vs dht  g#279956 Fritzlein Underated »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Game Analysis
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Nombril vs dht  g#279956 Fritzlein Underated
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Nombril vs dht  g#279956 Fritzlein Underated  (Read 2441 times)
dht
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8821

Nombril vs dht  g#279956 Fritzlein Underated
« on: Oct 30th, 2013, 2:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=279956

1s ra7 hb7 rc7 ed7 he7 rf7 mg7 rh7 ra8 cb8 rc8 dd8 de8 rf8 cg8 rh8

^The Fritzlein opening setup feels like playing the orangutan  Shocked Smiley Smiley Cheesy Cheesy

http://www.chess.com/chessopedia/view/orangutan-opening

This opening setup is seriously underrated, maybe? Even with Nombril being a bit rusty I know should have been crushed a lot harder and sooner than I was, and the Fritzlein was my lifeline.

I should have played 6s at 5s like Nobril said and kept Hg2 stymied... Did I lose all my momentum there and from there it was a done deal, or?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Nombril vs dht  g#279956 Fritzlein Underated
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30th, 2013, 9:32am »

For the record, I used "Fritz rabbits" in all of my setups as Gold in the 2013 Postal Mixer, and won them all, including against Alfons who was otherwise undefeated.  The only two openings in which I suffered were as Silver where I kept rabbits back.  I'm not sure how relevant my setup was to my victories, though.

Your subject line caught my eye, because I am laughably overrated at the moment due to playing only postal games, which generally gives me an advantage in thinking time.  But it is possible that my rabbit structure is underrated.  The main rap against it is that it makes rabbits too easy to pull, and that seems less and less relevant as rabbit-pulling strategies fade in popularity.  A subtle advantage I have come to appreciate from Fritz rabbits is that my cats are more comfortable on the b-file and g-file than on the c-file and f-file.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2013, 9:53am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2013, 9:56am »

I guess I'm out of touch with "current" philosophy, but I don't recall any consensus that Fritz rabbits are a bad opening.  The idea to start a trading/racing condition with losing a rabbit first is exactly what happened in our game, so you have the initial advantage.

As a defensive position, I am uncomfortable playing it because it makes movement of my camel to defend different sides more difficult.  But I should probably play it more often to add more techniques to my repertoire Smiley

You were set up to attack with your opening, and did well.  But then you started started playing slow moves.  Already mentioned is flipping my horse, but looking at it today maybe the worse strategy where you loose momentum is 8s/9s advancing rabbits on the opposite wing from your camel.  It only puts pieces in danger where you have absolutely no chance to defend them.  Absolutely your first priority had to be the camel hostage situation.  (Either run away while you can, or swarm to rotate out your elephant.)
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2013, 12:05pm »

Regardless of whether it's actually intrinsically good or not, deploying rabbits in such a fashion could be a good pedagogical tool for "home" players to force themselves out of their comfort zone.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2013, 12:45pm »

on Oct 30th, 2013, 12:05pm, aaaa wrote:
Regardless of whether it's actually intrinsically good or not, deploying rabbits in such a fashion could be a good pedagogical tool for "home" players to force themselves out of their comfort zone.

What is exactly why Fritz is playing it ...
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30th, 2013, 1:56pm »

on Oct 30th, 2013, 9:56am, Nombril wrote:
As a defensive position, I am uncomfortable playing it because it makes movement of my camel to defend different sides more difficult.

It's quite true that the extra second-rank rabbits get in the way of a camel switching wings along the second rank.  Nowadays, however, I generally keep my camel on my third rank anyway, which minimizes the disadvantage.

on Oct 30th, 2013, 12:05pm, aaaa wrote:

Very true, and one of the reason I set my rabbits forward.  Astonishingly, however, I am often able to play a winning home game despite my forward rabbits, as for example against Alfons and arimaa_master.  If my opponent doesn't want to pull my rabbits out, then I'm not forced into an away game.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.