Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 9:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « let's go ! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   let's go !
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: let's go !  (Read 2349 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

let's go !
« on: Apr 12th, 2006, 12:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everybody,

I'm new here, but from what I saw only chess and shogi were under discussion.

What about go ? Even if computer programmers have had as much time to think about as for chess, the strongest go program is still very weak : even weaker than I am. Looks far worse than for arimaa, doesn't it ?

Congratulations for the game (and website) designers : it's great !!

Jean
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

Re: let's go !
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 3:44am »

David Footland is not only the programmer of our current champion "bot_bomb", but also of "many faces of Go", one of the strongest Computer Go opponents in the world.

I do not know if it looks worse, since obviously in the last challenge the arimaa-bot was severely crushed.
(Except for my ruined attempt of a camel-handicap game .... but what would be equal to a camel handicap in go ?)
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 12:52pm »

on Apr 12th, 2006, 12:18am, chessandgo wrote:
What about go ? Even if computer programmers have had as much time to think about as for chess, the strongest go program is still very weak : even weaker than I am. Looks far worse than for arimaa, doesn't it ?

We have touched on this topic in other threads, but not debated it thoroughly.  My intuition agrees with yours, but Omar disagrees.

If you simply measure with ratings, there is a perfectly clear case that go is a deeper game than Arimaa, and that humans are further ahead of computers in go than they are in Arimaa.  I believe that go has about 30 ranks of human players, and about 14 ranks between the best computer and the best human.  A corresponding rank in Arimaa is about 200 rating points, so in the rating range of 1100-2300, we have 6 ranks, and about 2.5 ranks between the best computer and the best human.  So go wins in the category of human domination by a margin of 14 to 2.5.  (In each case the rank of the computer is determined by play against a human playing "naturally", as opposed to play against a human using anti-bot techniques.)

However, the issue is complicated by the fact that Arimaa is such a new game.  We can't possibly know yet how much intrinsic depth there is to Arimaa, because it has been studied by dozens of people over three years rather than by millions of people over hundreds of years.  Maybe Arimaa will prove to be so deep that there will eventually be players rated 3500 or more on today's scale, i.e. there are six or more ranks of hidden depth intrinsic to the game.  Or maybe we will shortly discover that Arimaa is tapped out, and the best play humans are capable of is about 2500, only one rank beyond what we already know.

To complicate matters further, depth on a human scale does not necessarily equal computer resistance.  Chess ratings accommodate about 13 ranks of human players, but apparently Hydra is now carving out a 14th above all the humans.

Not only do we not know what new discoveries humans will make regarding Arimaa strategy, we also do not know how hard those discoveries will be for programmers to encode.  The uncertainty around Arimaa is enormous because it is young, there are only a few bot developers, and there are only a few human players.

I'm a conservative investor.  If I had to bet whether Arimaa or go would hold out longer against the silicon monsters, I would put all my money on go in a heartbeat.  We know go is extremely deep, and we know it is computer-resistant, and we have some plausible theories why.  I guess that the same things are true of Arimaa, but on the basis of much less evidence.

Quote:
Congratulations for the game (and website) designers : it's great !!

Yes, all praise to Omar on both counts.  And beyond that, he has my admiration for putting up the Challenge Prize.  Omar is apparently not a conservative bettor: he's putting quite a bit of money on Arimaa being computer-resistant.  This sort of confidence is a great promoter of the game; I doubt I would have encountered Arimaa otherwise.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2006, 1:07pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 1:23pm »

on Apr 12th, 2006, 3:44am, PMertens wrote:
(Except for my ruined attempt of a camel-handicap game .... but what would be equal to a camel handicap in go ?)

Go has a much nicer handicapping system than Arimaa in terms of a number of pre-placed stones for the weaker player.  I guess that a camel handicap in Arimaa might be equivalent to a five-stone handicap in go.  However, top go players can crush top computer players with a nine-stone handicap, the highest standard handicap allowed.  Indeed, I understand top humans have won over bots at a twenty-five stone handicap, somewhat akin to an Arimaa handicap of MHHDDCCRRRR.  (Come to think of it, I recall that 99of9 once beat ShallowBlue with only a horse and two rabbits.)
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2006, 1:26pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 7:54pm »

hehe ... A Horse and two rabbits Huh Congratulations Smiley
shallow blue should be looking very deep Wink
It's only a guess, but I think that further juman understanding also lead to a slightly weaker computer's  improvement, whatever the game. So i guess computer will forever stay as bad at go as they now are ... Arimaa bots might be luckyier Wink
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 8:21pm »

on Apr 12th, 2006, 7:54pm, chessandgo wrote:
hehe ... A Horse and two rabbits Huh Congratulations Smiley
shallow blue should be looking very deep Wink

Thankyou.  Here's a link to the game if you're interested:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/showGame.cgi?gid=9391&s=b

You are right that shallowblue does not look very deep.  In fact it only looks 4 steps ahead... it's own steps, so does not consider the opponent's reply at all.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 7:03am »

Wait, I thought Arimaalon was the four-step version of ShallowBlue.  Isn't ShallowBlue even shallower than that?
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 5:21pm »

Arimaalon is 6 steps as far as i recall.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 12:15am »

Yes, bot_Arimaalon searches 6 steps. bot_ShallowBlue searches 4 steps and bot_Arimaazilla searches 8 steps.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 3:12am »

on Apr 14th, 2006, 12:15am, omar wrote:
Yes, bot_Arimaalon searches 6 steps. bot_ShallowBlue searches 4 steps and bot_Arimaazilla searches 8 steps.

They are otherwise the same algorithm?   Remarkably how differently they play.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 10:16pm »

I have tried to get into Go on several occasions, but I just could never get that "aha" moment that should signify the moment one leaves the beginner stage. Chess and Arimaa have the advantage that one at least starts out with an inkling of an idea of how one should go about playing the game, as capturing enemy pieces immediately presents itself as an obvious subgoal towards eventual victory.

Undoubtedly the game of Go must be very rewarding to play but having both the motivation and the acuity to overcome that first hurdle aren't something everybody possesses.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #11 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 2:05pm »

I too feel like I am taking shots in the dark when playing Go. But I also have not read much Go literature on strategy and tactics.
IP Logged
pallab
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1589

« Reply #12 on: Dec 26th, 2008, 4:50am »

I respect go players, but I feel similar and it is difficult to device a strategy to begin with.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.