Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 9:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « The ICGA »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   The ICGA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The ICGA  (Read 1344 times)
Stanley
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #2048

The ICGA
« on: Nov 22nd, 2006, 1:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The 2007 Arimaa Challenge specification mentions: "If a program wins the Arimaa challenge, it must be described in a paper submitted to the ICGA technical journal after winning the challenge in order to receive any prize."

I googled ICGA and found ..

1. Illinois Corn Growers Association
2. Islamic Center of Greater Austin
3. Independent Craft Galleries Association
4. Irish Colleges Golf Association (ICGA)

.. then ..

5. International Conference on Genetic Algorithms

that's closer, and ..

.. The International Computer Games Association. (Funny, I have never seen that before and I am in the game development business.)

(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Computer_Games_Association)

Their website http://www.icga.org/ returns a PHP error.

* Is this the place?
* How long does the selection process take?
* What happens if the paper is not selected?

This condition may be impossible to accomplish even if the author has good will. I suggest it should be changed by something more "accomplishable", such as: "The author must provide a description of the program in English including, at least, pseudocode of the main program structure and the explanation of all innovative ideas. That paper may be reproduced freely and will be available at the Arimaa website." As it is now, it may be interpreted as something that may make the price unclaimable even if the challenge is won.

My 2 cents.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: The ICGA
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 22nd, 2006, 1:58pm, Stanley wrote:
The 2007 Arimaa Challenge specification mentions: "If a program wins the Arimaa challenge, it must be described in a paper submitted to the ICGA technical journal after winning the challenge in order to receive any prize."
[...]
.. The International Computer Games Association.

Yes, that's the one.

Quote:
Their website http://www.icga.org/ returns a PHP error.

That's weird.  I've never before had trouble visiting www.cs.unimaas.nl/icga/journal/ but now I am getting a "page not found" error.  I wonder if they lost their sponsor or something.  Maybe Omar will have to find a new technical journal...

Quote:
* What happens if the paper is not selected?

Don't worry about that.  They would love to have a paper about the bot that wins the Computer Championship, even if it doesn't win the Arimaa Challenge.  As an example of how inclusive their standards are, last year they accepted my general tournament report on the 2006 Arimaa Computer Championship, even though it contained hardly any technical information.  If some program actually won the Arimaa Challenge, they would be desperately eager to get their hands on a technical description of the winning program.  If the ICGAJ still exists, that is...

Quote:
This condition may be impossible to accomplish even if the author has good will. I suggest it should be changed by something more "accomplishable", such as: "The author must provide a description of the program in English including, at least, pseudocode of the main program structure and the explanation of all innovative ideas. That paper may be reproduced freely and will be available at the Arimaa website." As it is now, it may be interpreted as something that may make the price unclaimable even if the challenge is won.

Good point.  I don't think it is a practical issue, but in theory the ability to claim the prize should be in the bot author's hands.

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:37am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.