Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 6:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Enjoy the game ! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Enjoy the game !
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Enjoy the game !  (Read 3863 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Enjoy the game !
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23rd, 2007, 7:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 23rd, 2007, 3:34am, chessandgo wrote:
How about the Mob team ? How are the debates going ? You guys are not letting Karl rule them Smiley ? How many players have joined the team so far ?

Fifteen people voted on the first move, although not all participated in the discussion.

I find that I am spending more time on the Mob game than I thought I would, and indeed more time on it than on my other postal tournament games combined.  We'll see how long I keep it up.  The move I was advocating for 1b narrowly won, so you could say that I am "ruling" the discussion.  On the other hand, if you look back through the posts after the game, you will see that I first advocated putting dogs behind both traps, until The_Jeh suggested one dog and one cat.  If someone else changes my mind first, it gets hard to say who is leading and who is following, especially in such a close vote.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 1st, 2007, 1:08pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2007, 3:34am, chessandgo wrote:
How about the Mob team ? How are the debates going ? You guys are not letting Karl rule them Smiley ? How many players have joined the team so far ?

To update on these questions, Jean:
For the second move 11 people voted, and the winning move was my top preference of 6 options
For the third move 12 people voted, and the winning move was my second preference of 9 options
For the fourth move 11 people voted, and the winning move was my fourth preference of 11 options

It seems the position is getting more out of control with every move, and there are too many reasonable options to sort through them all!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 10:33pm »

on Nov 14th, 2007, 3:07pm, 99of9 wrote:

No matter how bad they are I don't think we should involve bots in this game.

Jean, the question of using bots to analyze the position has arisen in the Mob discussion, purely theoretically.  To the best of my knowledge, the Mob has gotten no assistance from bots so far, and nobody is clamoring to use them in the future.   Still, I guess we didn't discuss this beforehand, so now I think we should discuss it openly with you rather than in private in our forum.

My own preference is that we should allow unrestricted use of bots for several reasons.  One reason is that if we are trying to have the highest level of play ever in a game of Arimaa, both sides should use all available means.  To the minimal extent that bots provide useful insights, that will serve the purpose of the game as a teaching tool.  At least the game would be decided by strategy rather than tactical blunders.  Another reason to allow bots is that they are so weak at postal speeds that they are only useful if used with good judgment, i.e. the judgment of the bot can't possibly substitute for human judgment at the moment.

But my main reason for wanting to allow the use of bots is that we can't tell whether or not someone is using a bot anyway.  If a team member contributed analysis they gleaned with the help of a bot, we wouldn't be capable of knowing and rejecting the analysis.  It seems better for the Mob to make no promise at all than to make a promise we can't keep.

Of course, if you would prefer that neither side use bots at all, I would gladly respect that.  I believe all the other team members would respect your wishes as well, but it couldn't be proved or enforced.

What is your inclination?
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #18 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 7:15am »

I have no objection to anyone using bots to analyse ; this said I have not and will not use one. So whatever you guys decide will be fine with me Smiley And thanks for keeping me in touch with the discussion, Karl.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.