Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 2:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 US Chess Open in Dallas »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   2008 US Chess Open in Dallas
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 US Chess Open in Dallas  (Read 1120 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

2008 US Chess Open in Dallas
« on: Aug 4th, 2008, 8:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://main.uschess.org/tournaments/2008/usopen/

Not too far from me. I wonder if it's free to go watch.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2008 US Chess Open in Dallas
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 5:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I stopped by the US Chess Open on Saturday. Even met with Alex Yermolinsky while he was between moves. He vaguely remembered when I reminded him that we had met 9 years ago. I don't blame him; he gives chess lessons and sees so many people. I was just glad I got to meet him again. I couldn't stay for long since I had to get back to play my own Arimaa game in the continuous tournament.

Back in 1999 while working on the Arimaa rules I wanted to get the opinion of someone who was really good at abstract games; like a chess grandmaster. I came across Alex Yermolinsky's web site and setup to meet him. My cousin Ghousuddin and I met him at a coffee shop. After learning the rules and watching us play a game (it was very different than what it is now) Alex said he thought the game was sufficiently complex that it could not be mastered easily, but that he is only an expert on chess and could not really evaluate other games any better than we could. He suggested setting up a web site to let people play the game and looking at the results of many games.

I just wanted to let him know I followed through on his suggestion and how things were going, but didn't get a chance to tell him since he was in the middle of his game and I had to get back to start mine. What a coincidence we both lost our games that night Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.