Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 12:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « [Go AI] MoGo beats 8-dan pro with 9 stones (19x19) »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   [Go AI] MoGo beats 8-dan pro with 9 stones (19x19)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: [Go AI] MoGo beats 8-dan pro with 9 stones (19x19)  (Read 1996 times)
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

[Go AI] MoGo beats 8-dan pro with 9 stones (19x19)
« on: Aug 8th, 2008, 7:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://www.usgo.org/index.php?%23_id=4602
http://games.slashdot.org/games/08/08/08/1243244.shtml
http://www.godiscussions.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6844
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: [Go AI] MoGo beats 8-dan pro with 9 stones (19
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 7:52am »

Wow, big news!  Thanks for the link.  Although I'm not quite on board with the folks who interpret the comment "it took us a year to drop nine stones" to mean that in one more year a supercomputer will be playing for the Go Championship at even handicap.  I take it more to mean that Go isn't completely transcendental.  Maybe in fifteen years a computer and the World Champ can play on even footing.  Just about the same time it is happening for Arimaa.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2008, 7:53am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 10:43am »

hey, thanks for the news ! That's quite impressive indeed.

This said, it does not look like the program is 2 or 3 amateur dan as announced by Kim. I guess a 2 dan amateur would almost always beat a top pro with 9 stones, and in this game Kim made a big blunder. Just browsed the game quickly, and it seems the computer played a few moves of almost no value Smiley  

Yet quite impressive.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2008, 6:27am by chessandgo » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Aug 8th, 2008, 12:47pm »

Interesting news. That was one heck of a super computer; 800 processors running at 4.7 GHz each; wow!!!  

The following is just my opinion and others are free to express their own.  

When machines like this are used to defeat a human I feel as if it is just a laboratory demonstration and doesn't yet impact Go. Even if the human player had lost in a 9-stone handicap (favoring the human) to such a machine I would still say we have not reached the goal in concurring Go. Unless of course someone is willing to sell a machine with such power in large quantities and at prices most people can afford. I am not saying that this is not a significant achievement by the developers. It certainly is; it's like capturing a piece in Arimaa; though that is not the goal it helps us eventually get there. In fact the achievement happened earlier when programs using the Monte Carlo approach started winning the computer championships. This progress would have gone unnoticed by the general public if it had not been for this demonstration match. Defeating a top human does help to bring attention to the game and the progress being made. I'm sure the media will pick up this story Smiley

I have a funny story to share. After Frank defended the Arimaa challenge in 2005, I did a press release about how humans are still able to defeat computers, but no major news outlet picked up on the story. I finally called an editor at AP and he basically said: 'yes we saw that story come by, but decided not to cover it; let us know when the computer defeats the human' Smiley I don't think it is true that the general public is not interested if humans defeat computers, but the reverse seems to get more media attention.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2008, 12:48pm by omar » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.