Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 9:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Is Chess a Sport »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Is Chess a Sport
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is Chess a Sport  (Read 7566 times)
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

Re: Is Chess a Sport
« Reply #15 on: Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yup, there's also "diving chess" - the board is 2-2.2 meters under the surface and it,s invisible from there. Players have to make a move during single dives.  Grin

And - for me - a few mind games are sports: chess, Go, Bridge to name three of them.
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:07pm »

So some people think that chess is a sport, what about chess on a videogame, is that a sport too?  

I'm pretty sure that some people will say yes even when they think that a football videogame is not a sport.
IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #17 on: Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:16pm »

Most games with balls are sports.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:53pm »

I think we can all agree that chess is a "game." What is the difference between a "game" and a "sport?" The word "sport" is often used these days to refer to games involving athletic or other muscular ability or coordination. The first known use of the word in such a sense is from 1523. Earlier, around 1440, it was known to refer to a "pleasant passtime." However, "its earliest sense is preserved in phrases such as 'in sport,' 'in jest.'" The original use of "sport" was as a verb meaning "to take pleasure, to amuse oneself." (Online Etymology Dictionary, Dictionary.com)  

My own use of the word sport, at least it seems, is to refer to those recreations for which a good number of people train or practice. So, chess, basketball, and fishing are sports, whereas Hide and Seek is not. In this sense of the word, a game can start out not as a sport, and then become one. Alternatively, one may use the word "sport" to refer to a game and its greater recognized organization as a whole. Hide and Seek is a game, but as there is no organization, no significant constituency of individuals devoted to becoming better at it or studing it or just discussing it, there is no Hide and Seek "sport." And finally, a "sport" in this sense need not be a "game" per se, such as in the fishing example.

But remember, like all words (especially in English), "sport" has many different subtle shades of meaning.

And while I love chess, I'm not particularly aggravated by its lack of presence at the Olympics, because as I hinted at, it seems that athletic or physically-dependent games are the Olympics' intention.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:05am by The_Jeh » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:19am »

on Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:53pm, The_Jeh wrote:
The original use of "sport" was as a verb meaning "to take pleasure, to amuse oneself."

Our souls have sight of that immortal sea  
Which brought us hither,  
Can in a moment travel thither,
And see the children sport upon the shore,  
And hear the mighty waters rolling evermore.  
IP Logged

SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Skepticism is the Immune System of Science

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 5th, 2011, 5:43pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2011, 12:19am, Fritzlein wrote:

Our souls have sight of that immortal sea        
Which brought us hither,        
Can in a moment travel thither,
And see the children sport upon the shore,        
And hear the mighty waters rolling evermore.        

That is beautiful Fritzlein.  Yours?  You credited no one...

Chess in the Olympics?  Yes!  Is Chess a sport, though?  Of course not!  It's an mind game.  Should mind games be in the Olympics?  Yes!!

It seems that forever people have been trying to peg Chess into an Art, Science, or sport.  What have the greatest chessplayesrs said on this subject?

Emanuel Lasker:  "Chess is a struggle"

Victor Korchnoi:  concurred Struggle

Sofia Polgar:  "Chess is a fight!"

So far, not a single Sport, Science or art.  I'll add more, but I expect the Arimaa community to also add more.  OK, when I confirm Mikhail Botvinik's quote, it will knock off science.  But still, not a single "sport"...

Your thoughts?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jun 5th, 2011, 6:43pm »

on Jun 5th, 2011, 5:43pm, SpeedRazor wrote:
That is beautiful Fritzlein.  Yours?  You credited no one...

I wish I could write like that!  It is Wordsworth, Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood, line 168-172.  The lines I quoted above could be considered a closing parenthesis to the opening parenthesis in lines 59-66:

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:  
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,  
And cometh from afar:  
Not in entire forgetfulness,  
And not in utter nakedness,  
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2011, 6:48pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #22 on: Jun 6th, 2011, 2:39pm »

on Jun 5th, 2011, 5:43pm, SpeedRazor wrote:
It seems that forever people have been trying to peg Chess into an Art, Science, or sport.  What have the greatest chessplayesrs said on this subject?

Emanuel Lasker:  "Chess is a struggle"

Victor Korchnoi:  concurred Struggle

Sofia Polgar:  "Chess is a fight!"

So far, not a single Sport, Science or art.  I'll add more, but I expect the Arimaa community to also add more.  OK, when I confirm Mikhail Botvinik's quote, it will knock off science.  But still, not a single "sport"...

Your thoughts?
If you google chess is a sport you will find some interesting viewpoints in the affermative. Marcel Duchamp is often quoted as saying "Chess is a sport, a violent sport" and he certainly was a gifted player as well as a great artist.

I like to think of certain games, including Chess, as "mindsport weapons", in fact "mindsports" implies as much. But where precisely are the boundaries of sport? I feel that way more than I could possibly argue that way.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.