Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 6:42pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Go starting to show cracks as an AI challenge? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Go starting to show cracks as an AI challenge?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Go starting to show cracks as an AI challenge?  (Read 12699 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: Go starting to show cracks as an AI challenge?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 2:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 11th, 2011, 11:33am, Janzert wrote:
I also think John Tromp was either very prescient or got very lucky and picked just about the perfect time limit for his Go bet.

In the initial go bet tournament Tromp took the 4 out of 7 tournament by winning 4-0. One year later there has been a repeat tournament with best 3 out of 5, this year Tromp lost 1-3. So I think my feeling last year has been validated and the bet was at the limit of Tromp being able to win it.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 7:46pm »

Nice, thanks for the update.  I trust results of even games under tournament conditions much more than the results of handicap pickup games.  How far is it from 3 dan to World Champion?

Is this result another sign that I am too optimistic about humanity defending the Arimaa Challenge?  I have $1000 on the line; as much as Tromp did.  Unfortunately, I won't win $1000 amount if computers lose.  Tongue  I wonder whether I will still be among the top three human players when the crunch time comes.  Will I ever be in a position of defending my own money?
IP Logged

robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

« Reply #17 on: Jan 21st, 2012, 6:24am »

on Jan 17th, 2012, 7:46pm, Fritzlein wrote:
How far is it from 3 dan to World Champion?

I'm only a very mediocre go player - I know there are stronger players on here who may have a more precise view. But I do know that the answer to this question is "miles and miles"  Smiley

The strongest amateur rank is, I believe, 7 dan. Such a player would be expected to be able to give a 3 dan a 4 stone handicap and still have an even chance of winning. How big the gap is between the best amateurs and the world's top players I am less sure of, but I'm sure it must be at least a couple of stones. So, the gap between amateur 3d and the world's top players is at least 6 stones, if my guess holds up. (And I think that is being conservative.)

(For comparison, before I virtually stopped playing last summer, I was about 8k, which is a whole 10 stones worse than a 3d. Yet I was still capable of easily winning at a 5 or 6-stone handicap against players who, though obviously weak, were by no means beginners. The range of possible strengths in go is really quite amazing.)
IP Logged
hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #18 on: Feb 10th, 2012, 10:49pm »

My (anecdotal) reaction to those numbers presented earlier is that they are not understatements. A 2 dan having a 7% chance to beat a 4 dan seems quite reasonable to me. And I think that persists up to higher levels. You see some of the best American players (who are just about professional strength--in some case they are professionals, in fact) losing to players who are one or one and a half stones weaker.  

One complicating factor is that the bot used in the 2010 challenge, Many Faces of Go (made by David Fotland) is a good bot, but still not quite on a par with Zen or Crazy Stone.  

But the real question is how sustainable this progress will be. Right now, a naive extrapolation puts bots ahead of humans by a good margin in 2020 (it's more like a stone and a half progress per year these days). But you never know.  

Also, regarding the number of levels: you can quantify it. The Europeans use an ELO system (http://europeangodatabase.eu/EGD/EGF_rating_system.php). There are players who have competed in tournaments who are rated 100. Against a typical player who had played four or five games, they might give a five-nine stone handicap. And there are active players in  Europe players who are 2800. There is no good recent statistical work comparing European and Asian professionals, but they might be anywhere from 2900 to over 3000.  

So every game is different, but whenever I read someone saying Arimaa has a lot of room for human improvement, my gut always says that's right.  

(Note: I'm KGS 2kyu, and I read about computer go, but don't do any computer go programming, fwiw).  
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2012, 10:57pm by hyperpape » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.