Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 world chess champ. match (Anand vs Gelfand) »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   2012 world chess champ. match (Anand vs Gelfand)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 world chess champ. match (Anand vs Gelfand)  (Read 4185 times)
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

2012 world chess champ. match (Anand vs Gelfand)
« on: May 13th, 2012, 7:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/

So far it seems rather boring, just two draws, both after around 25 moves...
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: 2012 world chess champ. match (Anand vs Gelfan
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2012, 12:57pm »

Regarding the boring games, A FIDE Master named Steve Gibbins posted this in his blog, which got reposted on chessbase:

http://stevegiddinschessblog.blogspot.de/2012/05/levellers.html

The author's main points:

Quote:
That problem is that computers are killing the game. They have already killed correspondence chess, in all but name, and now classical chess is heading down the same twilight path to oblivion. The computer is now so powerful, that it becomes impossible to out-prepare another top player in the opening. In pre-computer days, Kasparov could analyse so much better than the other top GMs, that he could routinely uncork novelties that refuted entire opening variations. Nowadays, though, that is just impossible - everybody is analysing the same opening lines, using the same powerful computers and programs. As a result, everybody is coming to the board, with much the same opening preparation, with the result that nobody can get a serious opening advantage any more.

Quote:
The result is a whole series of effectively contentless games, where the players are just checking each other's computer-aided preparation. Once in a while, they will hit on a gap, and get some advantage, but most of the time, there will just be what we have already seen in Moscow - 15-20 moves of preparation, 4-5 more accurate moves, a dead position, and a draw.

So, what is the solution? Sadly, I don't think there is one, at least not without abandoning traditional chess, in favour of Fischer-Random, and I hardly know anyone in the chess world who wants to see that (I certainly don't). It grieves me to say it, but I think classical chess is in its last days.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #2 on: May 17th, 2012, 4:36am »

on May 16th, 2012, 12:57pm, rbarreira wrote:
Regarding the boring games, A FIDE Master named Steve Gibbins posted this in his blog, which got reposted on chessbase:

http://stevegiddinschessblog.blogspot.de/2012/05/levellers.html

The author's main points: Quote:
"The result is a whole series of effectively contentless games, where the players are just checking each other's computer-aided preparation. Once in a while, they will hit on a gap, and get some advantage, but most of the time, there will just be what we have already seen in Moscow - 15-20 moves of preparation, 4-5 more accurate moves, a dead position, and a draw.

So, what is the solution? Sadly, I don't think there is one, at least not without abandoning traditional chess, in favour of Fischer-Random, and I hardly know anyone in the chess world who wants to see that (I certainly don't). It grieves me to say it, but I think classical chess is in its last days."

I feel mr. Giddins is hitting the nail on the head. Not so long ago variations would be dimly lit alleys with the Ripper looming around any corner, ready to slit your throat. Now this city with its obscure neighborhoods where one would only go wary and at one's own risk, has become a brightly lit metropolis where you can fare safely into a middle game on the Chess equivalent of a tomtom.

Chess, like any sport sooner or later, needs an update in material, and please not this monstruosity of Chess960 on which I commented before in "Why do great players make poor inventors?".
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012, 11:17am by christianF » IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 17th, 2012, 7:03am »

on May 17th, 2012, 4:36am, christianF wrote:
I feel mr. Gibbins is hitting the nail on the head. Not so long ago variations would be dimly lit alleys with the Ripper looming around any corner, ready to slit your throat. Now this city with its its questionable neighborhoods where one would only go wary and at one's own risk, has become a brightly lit metropolis where you can fare safely into a middle game on the Chess equivalent of a tomtom.

Chess, like any sport sooner or later, needs an update in material, and please not this monstruosity of Chess960 on which I commented before in "Why do great players make poor inventors?".

I think it's time for a Grand Chess world championship! Cheesy How about it Christian?
IP Logged

christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #4 on: May 17th, 2012, 7:26am »

on May 17th, 2012, 7:03am, Adanac wrote:

I think it's time for a Grand Chess world championship! Cheesy How about it Christian?

There's no harm in trying and I'm confident it would generate a lot of interest if some big names were involved. But it might go against a lot of interests Wink .

In particular, if you've made your daily job of cuddling several state of the art computers, and memorizing all that stuff, there's not much to gain by playing Grand Chess.

Even with public interest fading, like in the case of International Draughts, players will hold on to their game as if it were the Titanic - and they're right about that, but they still assume it can't sink.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012, 8:47am by christianF » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #5 on: May 28th, 2012, 9:14am »

Finally the players tied 6-6, with 10 of the 12 games being draws.

Now they're going to play rapid games on Wednesday to break the tie.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #6 on: May 28th, 2012, 10:12am »

on May 28th, 2012, 9:14am, rbarreira wrote:
Finally the players tied 6-6, with 10 of the 12 games being draws.

Now they're going to play rapid games on Wednesday to break the tie.

Still beats Draughts. There they start with rapid games, taking the draws for granted Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.