Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Steve Giddins: "Computers are killing chess" »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Steve Giddins: "Computers are killing chess"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Steve Giddins: "Computers are killing chess"  (Read 4317 times)
Luis Bolaños
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #3226

Steve Giddins: "Computers are killing chess"
« on: May 18th, 2012, 2:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8162

I agree with his analysis, but I think draws would be killing chess anyway even if computers didn't exist.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2012, 4:24am by Luis Bolaños » IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

Re: Steve Giddins: "Computers are killing che
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2012, 5:00am »

on May 18th, 2012, 2:11am, luigi wrote:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8162

I agree with his analysis, but I think draws would be killing chess anyway even if computers didn't exist.

Hi Luis, welcome Smiley  

As I've argued in the Anand-Gelfand thread, Chess, like any sport, needs the occasional upgrade in material, albeit less frequently because the 'material' is actually immaterial.

These upgrades have taken place before in Chess, as in Draughts, and even in Go, and the direction of the evolution has always been towards more decisiveness end less draws.

Grand Chess has been developed towards competeness, more freedom of movement and faster promotion, but I've held back at one point because I agree with the aesthetical view of Philidor.

Quote:
Likewise, Philidor did not like the possibility of having two queens, and in all editions of his book (1749 to 1790) he stated that a promotion could only be to a piece previously captured. Lambe also stated this rule in a 1765 book (Davidson 1981:60–61). If none of the promoting player's pieces had yet been captured, the pawn remained inactive until one of the player's pieces was captured, whereupon the pawn immediately assumed that role (Staunton 1848:7). A player could thus never have two queens, three knights, three rooks, or three bishops (Staunton 1848:7).
wiki

I've always disliked Chess' promotion rule because it is a means to an end to reduce draws. Chess cannot very well do without it.
In GC it's different: the wider choice of heavy pieces allows the return to 'promotion to a previously captured piece' without much of an impact on the margin of draws.
For the foreseeable future at least Wink .
IP Logged
Luis Bolaños
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #3226

Re: Steve Giddins: "Computers are killing che
« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2012, 12:40am »

on May 18th, 2012, 5:00am, christianF wrote:
As I've argued in the Anand-Gelfand thread,

Oh, lol, I didn't even notice there was such a thread Roll Eyes.

I just stopped by after reading the ChessBase article without reading the topics list here...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.