Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 3:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Greeting and a thank you »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Greeting and a thank you
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Greeting and a thank you  (Read 1542 times)
starjots
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #5147

Greeting and a thank you
« on: Mar 28th, 2010, 12:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm a so-so chess player that likes to mess around with AI as a hobby.  I stumbled across Arimaa and was quite interested in the game design premise - my computer chess program crushes me without remorse, so Arimaa sounded pretty cool!  At the moment I'm bruising my head on Arimaazilla, so I have a ways to go learning this game.

The site here is fantastic.  Having a bot ladder to play against is great and I enjoyed the commentary on the last human world championship game.  So thanks for making this such an interesting nook of the internet.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Greeting and a thank you
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2010, 1:05pm »

Welcome, starjots!  I'm glad you like the bot ladder.  One perspective on your progress is that you are stuck on Arimaazilla, but I prefer to note instead the seven bots you have already mastered.   Wink

You might want to consider signing up for a couple of games in the Postal Mixer.  As a total noob, your odds of winning wouldn't be high, but it's a great learning experience for anyone who likes to study their strategy games in addition to merely playing.  If you enjoyed the live audio commentary, that just might be the kind of gamer you are...
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 11:53am »

Welcome, starjots.  I was a decent chess player my first year at Hogwarts.  Then Hagrid got enough animals on hand so we could play arimaa.  Have fun with it and don't worry about what happens to the animals lost on the traps.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31st, 2010, 5:11am »

Hi starjots, welcome to the Arimaa community. Thanks for the nice comments about the site.

Best of luck working up the bot ladder.
IP Logged
starjots
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #5147

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31st, 2010, 9:05am »

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  I finally beat Arimaazilla (this felt like a real achievement!) and played a game with a person.  I'll have to check out the postal game option as I've never done this before.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31st, 2010, 9:45am »

on Mar 31st, 2010, 9:05am, starjots wrote:
I finally beat Arimaazilla (this felt like a real achievement!)

Arimaazilla was one of the first bots in the game room, so this is a rite of passage we have all been through.  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.