Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 7:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hi all »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hi all
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi all  (Read 5648 times)
hanuman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6307

Hi all
« on: Mar 28th, 2011, 12:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Jonathan here. Loving the game so far. Quick question: I'm climbing the bot ladder -- two down --pretty easy going so far. How come my rating drops each time I beat one of the bots? Cheers.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 12:45pm »

on Mar 28th, 2011, 12:34pm, hanuman wrote:
Jonathan here. Loving the game so far.

Great, I'm glad you are having fun!

Quote:
Quick question: I'm climbing the bot ladder -- two down --pretty easy going so far. How come my rating drops each time I beat one of the bots? Cheers.

You gained 19 rating points for beating bot_ArimaaScoreP1 (1290->1309) and gained 40 rating points for beating bot_Aamira2006P1 (1309-1349).  You only lost points from losing games to bot_Occam2004CC and TechnicolorLover.

It's easy to get caught up in ratings.   I know that I did for many years.  But slowly I learned (and am still learning) that the learning adventure is more important.  Arimaa games are most fun when the players are fairly evenly matched.  The benefit of ratings is to facilitate finding those evenly-matched games.  Beyond that, ratings can actually get in the way of the fun, because people play matches that aren't part of the learning adventure in order to pump up their ratings, or avoid games that would be good learning games because they don't want to lose rating points.  If you focus on the learning and the fun, that's what you'll get more of.  Smiley
IP Logged

hanuman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6307

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 1:19pm »

I'm not concerned about the ratings. I was just trying to figure them out, since my rating appeared to be 1342 after my two losses and then appeared to drop further after my two victories over the weaker bots. (first to 1309, and then to 1290). Just seemed odd.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 1:19pm »

on Mar 28th, 2011, 12:45pm, Fritzlein wrote:

It's easy to get caught up in ratings.   I know that I did for many years.  But slowly I learned (and am still learning) that the learning adventure is more important.  Arimaa games are most fun when the players are fairly evenly matched.  The benefit of ratings is to facilitate finding those evenly-matched games.  Beyond that, ratings can actually get in the way of the fun, because people play matches that aren't part of the learning adventure in order to pump up their ratings, or avoid games that would be good learning games because they don't want to lose rating points.  If you focus on the learning and the fun, that's what you'll get more of.  Smiley

In a nutshell!
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 3:22pm »

on Mar 28th, 2011, 1:19pm, hanuman wrote:
I'm not concerned about the ratings. I was just trying to figure them out, since my rating appeared to be 1342 after my two losses and then appeared to drop further after my two victories over the weaker bots. (first to 1309, and then to 1290). Just seemed odd.

Your rating after your two losses was 1290.  It has then climbed back up to 1309 and then 1349.  See this page - http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/pastgames.cgi?id=15567.  
IP Logged

hanuman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6307

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 3:56pm »

hm... 'twould appear you're correct.
IP Logged
hanuman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6307

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 3:57pm »

After 30 years of playing Go, I've learned not to care about ratings.  Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 4:10pm »

on Mar 28th, 2011, 3:57pm, hanuman wrote:
After 30 years of playing Go, I've learned not to care about ratings.  Wink

Oh, you are a Go player?  What's your Go rating?  Grin Cheesy
IP Logged

hanuman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6307

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 6:54pm »

Hard to know. It's a few years since I played extensively. I think I made it to 2 kyu on one of the kiseido server. Do you play?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 9:38pm »

I have only played a handful of games of Go in my life.  I probably never got out of the double-digit kyus.  I have immense respect for Go, but I have always been too lazy to study it enough to get good at it.
IP Logged

hanuman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6307

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29th, 2011, 9:32am »

As you know, there are a lot of good "day to learn, lifetime to master" games out there, such as arimaa. The added kicker with go is that it takes a substantial investment to get halfway decent.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 3:00pm »

I'm approaching seven years of play for Arimaa.  Does that count as a "substantial investment"?   Smiley
IP Logged

hanuman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6307

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 3:55pm »

absolutely. My point is more that the "total beginner" phase of being a go player can last through dozens of games whereas one develops at least some proficiency in other games (such as arimaa) more quickly.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 10:04pm »

I'm glad that is your impression of Arimaa.  I, too, had the feeling that I could very quickly latch on to something about how to make constructive moves in Arimaa.  Others, however, have made the exact opposite point about Arimaa, i.e. that they have no idea what to play for when they start.  The latter is definitely how I felt about Go.  Yes, the rules of Go tell you to try to surround territory and to capture stones, but it isn't immediately obvious when a territory is "owned" or when a group is "dead", so I might achieve an objective without knowing it, or might think I have achieved an objective when I haven't.
IP Logged

hanuman
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6307

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 10:10pm »

Yes. At least with arimaa, you have a sense of what the objective is even if you are not sure what the best move is, and you may well be able to tell which of several moves is best. I've taught many people to play go, and often find that even after a dozen games, they barely have a solid idea of what the objective is, or why they need "two eyes" in a group, or how to make them, or whether they are winning or losing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.