Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 7:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hello World! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hello World!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello World!  (Read 2168 times)
Migi
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4643

Hello World!
« on: Aug 19th, 2011, 1:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi!

I'm Migi. About a year ago I've come across Arimaa, played some games and started making a bot, but I never really got far and quickly lost interest. It didn't take long before I realized that plain old alpha-beta search isn't going to cut it without a really good evaluation function, and I was just not good enough as a player to write such an evaluation function.

But recently I was reading about neural nets and I got an idea of a new approach that might just work for Arimaa. I tried to search on Google if something like it has been tried before, but Googling ideas is pretty hard. So I didn't find anything, and I decided to just give it a shot. I guess we'll see in about a week or two how it goes. But even if my bot turns out to be a weak opponent, it think it'll be interesting to play against. It will think a lot more like humans and much less like the other bots. Bad tactically and (hopefully) strong strategically, which is what you need for Arimaa.

But I'm trying to stay realistic here. People have tried to make neural nets play chess and that hasn't really worked out. And basically I'm trying to beat humans at their own game here. Trying to outsmart 100 billion neurons with about 1000 neurons, you have the right to call me insane Grin

In the meantime, I'm also playing Arimaa again. And I'm enjoying it a lot! The YouTube videos with commentary were great fun, and they improved my game sense a lot too. So a big thanks to everyone who made or helped to make those videos! Smiley
IP Logged
Eccentric
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6723

Re: Hello World!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 1:11pm »

Insane? Peh, you have to start somewhere. As humans have to practice Arimaa to get good at it, programmers have to practice programming for bots to get good at Arimaa! In any case, I hope your stay here will be a lot longer than last time's.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 9:56pm »

Did you read Haizhi Zhong's thesis?  He tried to make a learning bot but it didn't play as well as his hand-coded one.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/papers/HaizhiThesis/haizhiThesis.doc

If you make any kind of learned evaluation function that outstrips a hand-tuned evaluation, everyone will think you are cool, and Omar will be deliriously happy, since that was the whole point of the Arimaa Challenge.
IP Logged

Migi
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4643

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 5:23pm »

on Aug 19th, 2011, 9:56pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Did you read Haizhi Zhong's thesis?  He tried to make a learning bot but it didn't play as well as his hand-coded one.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/papers/HaizhiThesis/haizhiThesis.doc

If you make any kind of learned evaluation function that outstrips a hand-tuned evaluation, everyone will think you are cool, and Omar will be deliriously happy, since that was the whole point of the Arimaa Challenge.

Thanks for that link. I read through most of his paper and there are quite a few good ideas in it that I didn't consider before.

However, the aspect I'm most interested in, the automated learning, has only 2 pages, in which he just says very briefly that it didn't work out. He says it may be just a bug in their code or that they didn't train it long enough, but nothing more. I would like to get in contact with the author, to try to find out more specifically what he tried (did they use a library or self-written code? what was the learning rate? etc) and what went wrong (did it learn a little/not at all/got worse by learning?). So, does anyone have any contact information about this person, Haizhi Zhong? I searched on google but didn't find anything. I would appreciate it a lot! Thanks.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 6:37pm »

I don't have any contact info for haizhi, but it occurs to me that his thesis adviser might be willing to help you out.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.