Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Interesting game! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Interesting game!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Interesting game!  (Read 5165 times)
Trick
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8434

Interesting game!
« on: Feb 15th, 2013, 9:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Honestly, I cannot believe I have not seen this game before.  Huh

I've looked into classic style board games like this a number of times because they're my favorite, but this has never popped up.  Sad

Guess I didn't look hard enough.  Roll Eyes

I just started playing tonight. Sadly, I lost my second game. Some of the push/pull captures eluded me at first and after a couple of bad captures, I lost composure.

What're you gonna do? Except try, try, again.   Grin

In conclusion, Thanks Omar for creating this game.

And thanks to all who have made bots for me to practice against so I don't have to get toyed with and slaughtered a thousand times like the beginner I am.  Cool
IP Logged
rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

Re: Interesting game!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2013, 10:46pm »

Hi Trick,

I'm glad you like the game!  I first stumbled across Arimaa in December of 2006 when I was looking into Chess AI's.  I only played a couple games as a guest then, but I remembered it as a really interesting game.  When I tried to find it again later, it took my quite a bit of effort.  Finally in 2009 I found Arimaa again and actually started playing Smiley  So, I also think this game deserves to be better known than it is....

Rabbits
IP Logged

Trick
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8434

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2013, 2:44am »

I'm glad you found your way back!  Grin

I think this game will go somewhere some day, but it first needs to get marketed better. At the moment, it is essentially marketed towards upper level computer scientists. If we want a next generation playing it will have to get marketed to kids.

I didn't learn to play chess from anyone in my family, I learned because there was a chess set in every 2nd grade through 6th grade classroom in our district. Wink
IP Logged
rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2013, 10:47am »

I completely agree.  This game has the potential to be fairly popular!

I've whined about needing a newly designed website before, but whining doesn't get things done, and I certainly don't mean to be ungrateful for what we do have!

Oh, I just had an idea:  I am teaching a low level mathematical reasoning course.  I could probably justify teaching my students how to play Arimaa as part of the course.  Hmmm, I'll have to think on this....
IP Logged

Trick
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8434

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2013, 2:36pm »

Yeah, marketing is tough. Producing that "trendy" image is even tougher, especially since Omar and a small handful have to do everything on their own. I can see there is an excellent community backing this game, but finding personnel to donate such sophisticated skills to the party is a tough thing.

Maybe Omar can create a kickstarter project of his own to pay a pro to revamp the site.

EDIT: What class are you teaching? I have a PhD in math and used to teach, but I gave it up three years ago for, among other reasons, a job that pays. I do miss it sometimes.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2013, 2:39pm by Trick » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.