Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 1:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « hello from a newbie »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   hello from a newbie
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hello from a newbie  (Read 7478 times)
vitamancy
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #8795

hello from a newbie
« on: Jul 28th, 2013, 12:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Stopping in to say hello.  I learned about the game via the xkcd comic and have had some fun working my way up the bot ladder.  Interesting tactics in this game.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: hello from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28th, 2013, 3:05am »

Welcome, vitamancy.  I love your handle!

My experience with Arimaa tactics is that learning more only makes the puzzles deeper and more complex.  In my ongoing Postal Mixer game with Boo, for example, I played move 16s thinking that it forced material gain.  I simply hadn't seen Boo's reply on 17g, which left me unable to capture, but again I played 17s thinking that now he would not be able to wriggle free.   Alas, 18g was another unexpected move which prevented me from capturing, but again I played 18s in full confidence of material gain.  And so it continued for five more moves until (finally!) I gained a material lead on 24s, but even so my position has been tactically tenuous ever since, leaving it unclear after seven further moves whether or not I can hold on to what I gained.

I expect that a perfect player would point out tactical blunders that both Boo and I made in that sequence, but being less than perfect, I can only pick a reasonable move and hope for the best.  The tactics are just too overwhelming to calculate out exactly.
IP Logged

Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28th, 2013, 6:50am »

I am glad both of you are enjoying the game.
IP Logged

vitamancy
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #8795

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28th, 2013, 12:29pm »

Fritzlein,

That is an interesting game.  I'll be interested to see how it plays out.  I don't have any sense yet of relative worth of non-equal trades.  Would I give up my camel to capture a horse and a dog?  I'm really not sure.
IP Logged
dht
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8821

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31st, 2013, 8:57am »

on Jul 28th, 2013, 12:29pm, vitamancy wrote:
Fritzlein,

That is an interesting game.  I'll be interested to see how it plays out.  I don't have any sense yet of relative worth of non-equal trades.  Would I give up my camel to capture a horse and a dog?  I'm really not sure.

I'd give up a horse, dog, and cat or rabbit to capture a camel.

Depending on position of course. I wouldn't give up my last rabbit for example.
IP Logged
robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31st, 2013, 10:40am »

I'd happily give up my camel for a horse and a dog (as a first trade, that is - if some pieces have already been exchanged then it becomes an even better trade). Probably not for a horse and cat, but I also wouldn't feel too badly off if I was forced into the trade - and again, with several pieces already gone I'd probably gladly take the trade.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31st, 2013, 10:12pm »

It depends a lot on the type of position. Sometimes the camels power isn't very usable and only a horse and rabbit could be better. I think on average the camel is very close to horse and cat. I would rarely be willing to give up a horse and dog to win the opponent's camel.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.