Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Work Avoidance Project ;) »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Work Avoidance Project ;)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Work Avoidance Project ;)  (Read 9475 times)
hrb
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #8247

Work Avoidance Project ;)
« on: Nov 15th, 2012, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys,

I've read all the http://arimaa.com/arimaa/papers/ and I've decided that I want to create a bot. IINM, Omar intended Arimaa to stimulate the development of general AI, so someone should take a stab at making bot AI more general. IMO, at present almost all improvement in bot playing strength is due to the intelligence of the human programmers, i.e. learning from experience and changing the software accordingly. In contrast, an intelligent bot should really be able to learn from scratch that a game without horses is identical to a game without cats, if and only if it is worth the effort.

Heading to the bot_development forum...
IP Logged
dht
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8821

Re: Work Avoidance Project ;)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31st, 2013, 1:31pm »

on Nov 15th, 2012, 2:31pm, hrb wrote:
Hi guys,

I've read all the http://arimaa.com/arimaa/papers/ and I've decided that I want to create a bot. IINM, Omar intended Arimaa to stimulate the development of general AI, so someone should take a stab at making bot AI more general. IMO, at present almost all improvement in bot playing strength is due to the intelligence of the human programmers, i.e. learning from experience and changing the software accordingly. In contrast, an intelligent bot should really be able to learn from scratch that a game without horses is identical to a game without cats, if and only if it is worth the effort.

Heading to the bot_development forum...

Good luck Cheesy
IP Logged
hrb
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #8247

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31st, 2013, 2:09pm »

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I got sidetracked by stupid real work and i spent most of my free time napping.

To make things worse I just recently bought the most awesome car ever ('04 Mazda RX-Cool, which I decided would be even moster awesomester if it had a turbo and 400 rwhp. Wink
IP Logged
dht
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8821

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31st, 2013, 2:23pm »

on Jul 31st, 2013, 2:09pm, hrb wrote:
Thank you!

Unfortunately, I got sidetracked by stupid real work and i spent most of my free time napping.

To make things worse I just recently bought the most awesome car ever ('04 Mazda RX-Cool, which I decided would be even moster awesomester if it had a turbo and 400 rwhp. Wink

Do a quick overnight hack job with an feedforward backpropagating neural network evaluating all possible moves generated from the current position, and leave it in the basement training against itself for a while then go check on it?
IP Logged
dht
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8821

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31st, 2013, 2:46pm »

Actually when I was experimenting with that sorta thing, I found 2 competing neural networks training against each other one for noughts and one for crosses training against each other with intermittent play against a human had the most promise

Didn't play that strong, but once it beat me on a 10x10 board with 5 in a line to win by showing some creativity and misdirecting me developing one area early on then shifting play to a different area and then connecting from the area we were both competing in to the dead area...

It wasn't too strong, but it was cheeky and had personality as well as showing signs of a bit of psychological play and it was d**n
 creative

I used http://leenissen.dk/fann/wp/ and coding it up took me around a day at most.... No optimizations or encoding the board, just a set of input neurons for the board, empty at 0, -1 for noughts 1 for crosses (or the otherway around it was over 6 years ago and I lost the code in a hard drive failure) tanh activation function and the network trained with an evaluation function such that pr win and loss over time were just 1/x with x being 1 for the winning position and incrementing? each earlier step so it was just 1/1 for winning position 1/2 for the next or something like that, basically something looking a bit like log back to front and upside down...

What gave it the sparkt was separating naughts. for arimaa that would be gold, and crosses (silver)  

Self playing NNs that just played against themselves, were alright, but boring

Give it a go?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.