Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 8:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Regional ratings »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Regional ratings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Regional ratings  (Read 742 times)
sooreams
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #1200

Regional ratings
« on: May 31st, 2005, 6:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm new round here so sorry if this question has already been answered, but I was wondering if there is a regional version of the "top rated players" page? This game looks wonderful but aiming to be in, say, the top 50 in the UK seems a more attainable first goal than being in the top 50 in the world!  

If such a thing doesn't exist already, you could consider this a feature request. It would give new players like me something to aim for.

Congrats on a great game by the way, Omar. Definitely the most interesting new game I've come across in years.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Regional ratings
« Reply #1 on: May 31st, 2005, 7:28pm »

I don't think one can sort ratings by country/region yet.  Being in the top 50 has been a modest goal until recently, because there have been fewer than 50 active players on the server most of the time.  It's great that enough new folks are jumping on board that this even becomes an issue!  Smiley

Omar has a lot of programming requests on his plate, but he's been adding new features rapidly this past week, so maybe he'll be able to get around to it before too long.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #2 on: May 31st, 2005, 10:42pm »

Perhaps it's due to the proliferation of copies of bots that have made it into the top 50, together with inactive accounts of strong players (eg naveed4 and omarfast).  I count 14 bots on that list!

Perhaps Omar could make it limited to humans only.

However, sooreams... in terms of setting goals - I think making the world top 50 is probably an achievable goal for you if you work at it.  Arimaa is not a very large game yet, I doubt there are 50 people in the UK who have played more than one game of it.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2005, 11:40pm »

hey, even I made it global Top 4 Smiley
And I am world-famous for my phant and camel blunders ...

and by the way:  
you can sort the rankings by country

If you use the "established players" instead of the "top rated" you will see the whole list.

and voilá: you are Top 3 human in UK  Grin

I would not look so much for the ranking, since playing for points can sometimes take the fun out of it (ok, opinions might differ slightly on this one)

nice goals for me are:  

beat the regular bots
beat the championship bots
beat bots the botbashing way (with handicaps)

of course you should always try to play as many humans as possible, because bots are just bots and even the best bot is beatable with a camel handicap Wink
(humans are far more challenging)
IP Logged
sooreams
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #1200

« Reply #4 on: May 31st, 2005, 11:54pm »

Wow, they weren't kidding when they said it's still a small game. I'm the 3rd best player in the country already! Well I guess I should work on trying to make a dent on the world rankings, but I think if I just concentrate on getting better at the game then the ranking points will come naturally. I'll keep working at it!
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #5 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 12:23am »

thats the spirit  Cool
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #6 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 7:13am »

Oh great, I'm glad you brought up this conversation, because I'd never thought to sort by country!  Thanks for letting me know the obvious Paul.

Oh, and you're 2nd in the UK, not 3rd.  I've moved back to Australia - and Omar is still in the process of updating my country, isn't that right Omar? Smiley

So if you can get another 60 ratings points, you'll be the best!  But you're right, at this stage it's better to focus on learning the game.  Think about ratings once you can beat everyone Smiley.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 3:23pm »

On the Arimaa bots page the bots are sorted by RU first and rating second, but on the top-rated player pages folks are sorted by rating and RU doesn't matter at all.  I think I good middle ground would be this: Sort in order of (rating - RU).  That way the longer you stay inactive, the more you slide down the list, but at least you don't disappear completely.  (Or you will disappear completely only when your RU goes over 100.)
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #8 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 7:26pm »

on Jun 3rd, 2005, 3:29pm, Arimanator wrote:
Fritzlein you got me dumbfounded  Grin I had no idea the RU increased when you stopped playing, I thought it was only a function of the number of games you played,

It used to be that way, but then we suggested that RU could increase by 1 point per week for all players, so to keep it at 30 you have to play occasionally.  I guess Omar just hasn't got around to putting it in the documentation.  It's a good way of cutting out junk accounts from the established player list.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2005, 7:27pm by 99of9 » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Jun 4th, 2005, 2:10pm »

Yes, I just forgot to mention it on the ratings page. I've added it now.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.