Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 7:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Two small feature requests »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Two small feature requests
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Two small feature requests  (Read 2851 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Two small feature requests
« on: Jun 14th, 2005, 5:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

(1) Given how many people nowadays can consistently beat every bot, I find my interest in human vs. bot games temporarily on the wane.  When I log in, the first thing I want to know is what human vs. human games have been played recently.  Would you mind adding a link to "Recent Human Games" under the "Recent Games" and "Commented Games" links?

(2) There is a modicum of social awkwardness in inviting someone to a game, and more in refusing an invitation.  It would ease this slightly to have a flag that each player could set to either "Not interested in playing a human right now" or "Actively seeking a game against a human right now".  This flag could display next to the names of all logged-in players in the lobby.  Does this sound like a good idea?
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2005, 5:03pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

Re: Two small feature requests
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14th, 2005, 6:21pm »

I totally agree with (1)
I partly agree with (2)

Even though there is no feature for telling "leave me alone - I dont wanna play humans", there is allready a (mostly unused) feature for telling others that you are actively seeking:

<Start Game>

But I agree that a statusflag might be the more powerful solution.
You dont always log out when you leave the computer for a while and some people have their popup-blocker on - so there could be a status for that as well Smiley

Maybe someone writes a IM-like software for Arimaa one day ... that would be rather cool Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 8:41am »

on Jun 14th, 2005, 6:21pm, PMertens wrote:
there is allready a (mostly unused) feature for telling others that you are actively seeking:

<Start Game>

That's a good point, thanks for reminding me.  In the future I will remember to use this feature.  On the other hand, starting a game has the drawback (or advantage?) that it limits the game to a specific time control.  So I could see wanting both features.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 5:55pm »

Great suggestions; shouldn't be too hard to do.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 6:42pm »

Thanks for including the Human Games link.  24-hour turnaround: what amazing service!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 6:44pm »

Just did the Human Games feature. Will do the 'Seeking Games' feature soon.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 6:47pm »

on Jun 15th, 2005, 6:42pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Thanks for including the Human Games link.  24-hour turnaround: what amazing service!

Well some features are easier to implement than others and I tend to use the "shortest job first" scheduling algorithm Smiley

IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16th, 2005, 8:45am »

you are fast  Cheesy

How about a little public info about what it is and how to use Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2005, 8:50am by PMertens » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16th, 2005, 8:50am »

Nice ideas Fritz.  Nice job Omar - both look good.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16th, 2005, 12:00pm »

I've also added the "Invite Me" feature now.

A small i icon appears next to the usernames of the members seeking a human game. Clicking on it opens
the invite window.

Clicking on the icon next to your own name opens up the "Invite Me Status" window from where you can turn on or off the icon that appears next to your name for others.

Even if you have not turned on the invite me icon, others can still invite you. This is because we sometimes use the invite feature as a messaging system.

I considered automatically turning off the invite me icon if a player gets busy with an iteractive game, but then thought that someone might still want it on. So for now you have to turn it off yourself if you start a game and don't want to be invited anymore.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16th, 2005, 1:20pm »

how about a warning on the invitation page

"Do you really wanna invite him while he is allready playing ?"
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 1:38am »

on Jun 17th, 2005, 12:37am, Arimanator wrote:

Now, one other thing, when Fritzlein made his requests, nobody told him that "he had no idea of the complexity involved" or "that he shouldn't bother Omar when he has bigger fish to fry"..etc..

That's the usual answer I get no matter what I suggest

Since the first of these two "quotes" appears to be directed at me, I will tell you why I didn't reply in a similar way to Fritz.  [By the way, since my posts are still present on the messageboard, you can check to see whether my original words have been exaggerated here: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=talk;action=display;nu m=1113301653;start=1#1]

But personally I'd prefer not to go through this debate again, especially since I already apologized for hurting your feelings the first time!

Anyway, here's my answer, it's quite simple.

In my estimation Fritz's suggestions were significantly easier to implement (and perhaps would be more frequently used, but that is irrelevant).  I did not tell him that " I think you underestimate how difficult it would be for Omar to automate this.", because I didn't think he had.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2005, 1:52am by 99of9 » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #12 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 2:47am »

on Jun 17th, 2005, 1:57am, Arimanator wrote:
Besides I don't really remember if you made that second suggestion about not bothering Omar I mean and if you did that was an unfortunate coincidence and certainly not something particularly aimed at you.

As far as I know I am the only one who received your suggestion in a manner similar to your first quote - so I figured that one was addressing me especially.  No, I don't think I've said anything like that second one.  Maybe I missed it, but the only person I remember saying anything like that to you is Omar ("There are still a lot of more urgent changes I need to make")... but I'm sure you're not mad at him for that! Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2005, 2:47am by 99of9 » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #13 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 6:28am »

on Jun 17th, 2005, 3:12am, Arimanator wrote:
Excuse me for pointing this out but that's not the first time you do something like that, using words that I HEAVILY emphasized as being given as an example of something more general to try to turn individuals against me when it's not the whole crowd.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to turn people against you - no one really believes you are mad at omar!!  The point I was making is that what you give as examples of how you feel your suggestions are treated are either:
a) slightly exaggerated and apologized for already anyway
or
b) not resembling anything I recall anyone saying to you (and the nearest example that I can find is a totally normal comment that no one would be mad at)

It just seems to me that you're too suspicious, that you're worried we're giving favouritism to Fritz, that you're generally continuing with the paranoia that started arguments in the first place.

You might be interested to note that I have voiced my support for as many of your suggestions in the last few days as I have Fritz's (one each Wink) - namely your suggestion that it would be interesting to see how a game goes when bot engines play alternate moves.

Now okay, I haven't implemented it yet... but you haven't given me long! Wink  I think implementation comes down to a bit of randomness, how long things take (how complex they are Wink), and how keen people are to do it.  There are many factors, and I don't think you should feel biased if a few of your suggestions have fallen by the wayside.  Concentrate on coming up with good ideas, and I'm sure one of them will pay off sooner or later.  (Or - as you suggested in the Simul Games case - wait until Omar goes open source and do the implementation yourself.)

Quote:
Since you evoked the Bible earlier (or religion). Isn't there something in it against mob mentality?  

"Let him who is without sin..." You probably know it better than me, what is the exact quote by the way?

"If any of you is without sin, let him be the first to thow a stone at her" (John 8:7 NIV), although it is often paraphrased the way you quote it.  My understanding is that it's more about the Pharisees failing to recognise their own rebellious position before God and hence their need for God's mercy.

Quote:
Anyway I certainly wasn't accusing Omar of anything and I just give that as a type of answers I received.

Don't worry - I never thought you were.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2005, 9:24pm by 99of9 » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #14 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 6:37am »

on Jun 17th, 2005, 4:08am, Arimanator wrote:
Besides this whole discussion is just another example of what I was complaining about, no matter what I say it'll be turned against me and multiplied by ten in the process.

I think it's mainly your complaints that get multiplied by 10 (as people try to defend themselves and it spirals into arguments).  Sorry to be simplistic, but I'd suggest complaining less often.  Generally your positive and contributory comments on forums and games are well recieved as far as I can see (perhaps Paul is an exception to that since your big argument).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.