Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 28th, 2024, 5:40pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Site is back up »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Site is back up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Site is back up  (Read 2015 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Site is back up
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 3:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Every time I think the system is stable, something new pops up. Yesterday the system began thrashing. That means it started up so many processes that it was spending more time switching between processes than it was doing useful work. I think it was caused by the web server settings allowing too many processes to get started. I've changed the settings now and hopefully it won't happen again.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #16 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 6:17am »

I ran a lot of tests on the new system to see what might have been causing the high load. The system looks really solid and I can't get it to start thrashing like it did before.

I am starting to suspect that there might have been some denial of service type attacks on the server through the network which caused the high load and slow network response. I am contacting the ISP to follow up on this.

Im really sorry about having the server down so long, but I really needed to try and trace this problem. I especially wanted to make sure it was not due to a hardware problem with the new server. Im pretty sure now that the problem was due to receiving a lot of traffic on the network and not due to any hardware or OS configuration problems.

Im bringing the gameroom back up, but keep in mind that the attack could happen again. I have a feeling that this hosting company does not have any hardware in place to prevent DOS attacks on their network; but I still need to check with them about it.

I figured the Arimaa addicts would start having withdrawl symptoms if I didn't bring the gameroom online soon Smiley

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 6:55am »

on Sep 23rd, 2005, 6:17am, omar wrote:

I figured the Arimaa addicts would start having withdrawl symptoms if I didn't bring the gameroom online soon Smiley

Only too true in my case.  I had a miserable day at work today in part because I couldn't get my Arimaa fix last night.  I almost turned to OCTI in desperation...
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #18 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 8:16am »

my hands were shaking
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 4:10am »

I think the problem with the site getting overloaded and becoming unusable has been fixed now.  

When I was fixing the problem with Arimaazilla stopping and not coming back online I had made some test changes to Arimaazilla's bot.cfg file. After fixing that problem I forgot to change the bot.cfg file back to the way it was. This turned out to be the root of the problem. Hopefully I've fixed it now without introducing another problem Smiley
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #20 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 11:21am »

Sounds like you found the problem, but just in case here are a few more datapoints.

Last night at about 2:20am edt, the front page would load fine, but neither the forums or the game room would. Also the ping to the server was low and fairly stable, suggesting to me that it wasn't network related. Below is the summary from a ping run.

Code:
51 packets transmitted, 51 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 37.454/40.930/68.186/5.569 ms

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #21 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 3:07pm »

Thanks for the input. You're right it wasn't so much network related as I had originally thought. It was actually due to the bot script consuming all the system memory and causing the problem.
IP Logged
Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #22 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 3:55pm »

on Sep 27th, 2005, 3:07pm, omar wrote:
Thanks for the input. You're right it wasn't so much network related as I had originally thought. It was actually due to the bot script consuming all the system memory and causing the problem.

I like it when a problem gets a clear cut solution because it usually means that we're done with it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.