Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 10:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « bot process time on the server »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   bot process time on the server
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: bot process time on the server  (Read 638 times)
leo
Forum Guru

bot process time on the server
« on: May 6th, 2006, 7:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was wondering if the process/thread time allocated to each bot on one server drops when a lot of games are played at once, thus making the bots weaker temporarily. Right or wrong?
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

Re: bot process time on the server
« Reply #1 on: May 6th, 2006, 9:51pm »

Correct
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #2 on: May 6th, 2006, 10:46pm »

on May 6th, 2006, 9:51pm, jdb wrote:
Correct

This may partly explain why the ladder bots' ratings oscillate so wildly. I suppose there is a way to allocate a fixed number of microseconds per second for each bot thread, so as to have the bots maintain a regular strength, but that would force to keep the quantity of simultaneous bots below a maximum number, which is as annoying as the bots varying in strength. So, no solution except multiplying the number of server computers, which has a cost... In the player's general discussion forum I talked about the idea of raising funds to better the server, but I don't know if the Arimaa community is already strong enough for that.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #3 on: May 7th, 2006, 3:48am »

I wonder if this contributes to the ease of the botbash challenges, when people open five or six simultaneous games against Bomb2005CC.
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 7th, 2006, 4:57am »

on May 7th, 2006, 3:48am, IdahoEv wrote:
I wonder if this contributes to the ease of the botbash challenges, when people open five or six simultaneous games against Bomb2005CC.

Hmm... I just discovered in the middle of http://arimaa.com/arimaa/bots/ :

Quote:
System independent versions  
These bots have a fixed search depth so that they will perform the same regardless of the current system load or hardware. Use these bots for the Bot Bashing records.

A fixed search depth -- or even better a fixed thread total time (resulting in variable real time) -- is indeed the solution...
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #5 on: May 7th, 2006, 5:08am »

on May 7th, 2006, 3:48am, IdahoEv wrote:

Bomb CC versions move so slowly that it's hard to play just one instance (and not fall asleep out of boredom) ... but playing four or more instances would be unfair ... a max of 2 seems to be about right to me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.