Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 11:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « The system load is too high »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   The system load is too high
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The system load is too high  (Read 838 times)
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

The system load is too high
« on: Mar 11th, 2006, 4:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is that a new feature ??  

with only 2 bots running simultaneously and 9 humans in the gameroom I do not dare starting a bot for me Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: The system load is too high
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 1:24am »

I actually got the message once with no games running and only two humans in the lobby, but I guess the load was high because the system was rebooting.  Smiley

I will be happy for this feature if it reduces the current rash of bot timeouts.

On the other hand, I would feel a bit slighted if I was told the load was too high when a bot vs. bot game was running.  The bot v. bot games probably shouldn't start at all if they are going to interfere with human vs. bot games.  Maybe the load threshold for forbidding a bot vs. bot game should be lower than that for forbidding a human vs. bot game, so as to reserve room for the humans.
IP Logged

Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 3:21am »

on Mar 2nd, 2006, 4:16am, Ryan_Cable wrote:
It might be a slightly more efficient use of the server, if you have the script run every time a game ends, but only start a game if there are no bots playing.  My guess is it would net a few more games most days, but not so many as to be overly disruptive to the ratings.

I don’t really understand what is causing the load problems.  Is it just insufficient RAM causing swap thrashing?  Fritzlein was able to do several 10 bot simuls, and I did several simuls with 6 to 9 bots.  However, it now seems like the server is sluggish with only 3 or 4 bots running.  I had been planning to go for an 11 bot simul now that the 2006CC bots are online, but I guess I shouldn’t even try it.

Does anyone happen to have a free always-on Linux box that we could offload some of the ladder bots to?  My AMD64 3400+ has 1GB of RAM and plenty of free cycles, but I need to have it running Windows XP almost all of the time (to be able to play Arimaa for instance Wink).
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 3:51am »

I've got a linux pc that's always online.  It's a:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz

But it's only got 512 meg of ram (1 gig swap).

Uptime 53days.

It's used for work purposed, and so I guess I can only take a few bots, and also I should say that I can't guarantee that the circumstances will remain the same (and could change without notice).
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2006, 3:53am by Swynndla » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 12:43pm »

Just now it let me start a bot game when there were eight humans logged in and six games involving five bots.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 5:47am »

I traced down this problem and fixed it. If anyone gets this message again let me know.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.