Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 7:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Website Look and Feel »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Website Look and Feel
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Website Look and Feel  (Read 3849 times)
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

Re: Website Look and Feel
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10th, 2011, 6:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 10th, 2011, 10:58am, Fritzlein wrote:

As for your photo, Eltripas, I would say that we already have a "nice thing", and the reason we don't have the other nice thing that you also want has nothing to do with Ururam Tururam and Boo.

I know Fritz, it's a meme, a joke ...
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2011, 6:24pm by Eltripas » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 10th, 2011, 8:00pm »

on Oct 10th, 2011, 6:21pm, Eltripas wrote:
I know Fritz, it's a meme, a joke ...

Oh, sorry, I thought you were saying that UT and Boo were snarly things with sharp teeth.
IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #17 on: Oct 10th, 2011, 9:06pm »

on Oct 10th, 2011, 8:00pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Oh, sorry, I thought you were saying that UT and Boo were snarly things with sharp teeth.  

The site is indeed a nice thing and I truly appreciate the efforts of Omar, I'm not going to leave the site because of how it looks its just that I've seen other people leaving because of that.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 10th, 2011, 9:10pm »

OK, I get it now.  The snarly thing with teeth is the gameroom interface that is scaring people away, not the other posters who disagreed with you.  Sorry I didn't see your point at first.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2011, 10:42pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Oct 16th, 2011, 9:52pm »

We can use a CMS like Joomla or Dropal to give the site a new look and feel. I had started looking into these, but they have a pretty high learning curve and I found it frustrating trying to make changes which I can do quickly using vi and editing the HTML directly. But the nice thing about these CMS systems is that there are a lot of templates out there for them and so even you are not good as aesthetics you can use a template to make the site look good. If someone is familiar with these and would like to take a shot, let me know. I can set you up with a fresh install of your favorite CMS and you can have a go at it.
IP Logged
rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

« Reply #20 on: Oct 16th, 2011, 11:13pm »

I knew I would agree with Omar Smiley

Yes, CMS's can be hard to figure out and work with.  I worked with Drupal for a summer and did not come away with much appreciation for that CMS...  Perhaps the main problem was that the site had mostly been maintained by students and was quite crufty...

The nice thing about CMS's is the ability to reuse other people's code.  As Omar says, they come with nice templates.

Drupal is popular and has a lot of plugins, but I probably wouldn't choose it.  I don't know much about Joomla.  I've heard good things about the WordPress platform.  All three of these are written in PHP.  Are there any nice Perl CMS / web frameworks?
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #21 on: Oct 17th, 2011, 1:40pm »

on Oct 10th, 2011, 8:00pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Why, aren't they? :p I agree with them btw.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #22 on: Oct 17th, 2011, 1:54pm »

on Sep 17th, 2011, 9:52pm, rabbits wrote:
By the way, the New Forest Earth site is down right now, and the image of their wooden board is not loading.  Perhaps a local version of that picture should be used instead.  (I wish they would finally make those boards available to buy...)
[...]
Some of the links in the sidebar are more or less dead.  For example, both links under Contests are rather old.

One thing that wouldn't require setting up a development environment is clearing out the dead wood.  Preserving the historical record shouldn't come at the cost of confusing newcomers.  If moribund stuff needs to be saved somewhere, perhaps it can be put into the Arimaa Wiki, or anywhere that doesn't make it look like part of ongoing gameroom functionality.
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #23 on: Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:44pm »

on Oct 16th, 2011, 9:52pm, omar wrote:
We can use a CMS like Joomla or Dropal to give the site a new look and feel. I had started looking into these, but they have a pretty high learning curve and I found it frustrating trying to make changes which I can do quickly using vi and editing the HTML directly. But the nice thing about these CMS systems is that there are a lot of templates out there for them and so even you are not good as aesthetics you can use a template to make the site look good. If someone is familiar with these and would like to take a shot, let me know. I can set you up with a fresh install of your favorite CMS and you can have a go at it.

I am familiar with Joomla and have used CMS to some degrees before. I haven't used it for a while, and won't have time free soon, however. But I may be able to help to some degree with making something look good.
IP Logged

rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

« Reply #24 on: Dec 13th, 2011, 2:08pm »

I have a vision of a bigger Arimaa website...

On this site, your forum user page would be integrated with your player page.  A stream would list not only your recent games, but also your recent posts and other activity.  New users would only be able to post in the "Say Hello" section of the forum until they have played at least five games.

You would be able to search for games based on what happens in them.  People would classify games in order to earn "Arimaa points."  You could also get Arimaa points by playing games, commenting on games, posting in the forum, watching event games, commentating event games, as well as a bunch of other things.  Players would work towards achievements such as winning a game by elephant blockade or playing at least one game during every day of a week.  Arimaa points would allow players to get better avatars, change the look of the board and pieces, unlock new bots to play, participate in tournaments, and become the player of the day/week/month/year.  Mostly, though, Arimaa points would just be a status thing.  Even Hanzack would want them.

Instead of playing MMORPGs or random Flash games, middle schoolers and high schoolers would login to this Arimaa site during their lunch breaks.  Groups of friends would have subtle competitions to be better at Arimaa than each other, or at least unlock more bots.  After school programs would encourage kids to log into the site and learn how to play.  Jacka's students would love it.  Colleges would have "Chess and Arimaa" clubs.

This site would cater as much to young players as to bot developers.  Humans would stay ahead of bots even though BotMarwin, BotSharp, BotBriarius, BotBadger, and BotHippo would all play better than Chessandgo.  I would be kicked off the list of top one hundred players because so many youngsters would learn to master the tension of having an active but safe camel.  A setup popularized by a teenage girl would become just as common as the 99of9 setup.  The Arimaa champion would be invited to late night talk shows.

Arimaa would become a household name.  Movies and books would use Arimaa to portray characters as intelligent.  (Edge by Jeffrey Deaver is a good book, by the way.)  Beginning Arimaa would be a classic.  J.K. Rowling would write a book in which Hagrid hosts an Arimaa tournament and Ron Weasley's son wins it.  Oh, and best of all, there would be an Arimaa cereal!  It would be similar to Lucky Charms, with gold and silver elephant and camel marshmallows floating around.

Well, that's just my vision.  It was fun to write up at least :]
IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

« Reply #25 on: Dec 13th, 2011, 8:45pm »

do want.
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 2:11am »

I'd rather have a bowl of ARIIIMA POPS!
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #27 on: Dec 14th, 2011, 10:32am »

on Dec 14th, 2011, 2:11am, megajester wrote:
I'd rather have a bowl of ARIIIMA POPS!

Arimaa Pops has a much better ring to it... but I want them to be shaped like elephants and camels and horses and dogs and cats. Maybe the rabbits could be marshmallows...
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #28 on: Dec 17th, 2011, 12:49pm »

And soon there would be an MMO called World of Arimaa (WoA) with Elephants, Camels, Horses, Dogs, Cats and Rabbits, each class with its special powers, and big PvP and GvG events with supersonic rabbits and snowball fights. For those who feel cramped on an 8x8 board. Wink
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #29 on: Dec 17th, 2011, 7:08pm »

on Dec 13th, 2011, 2:08pm, rabbits wrote:
I have a vision of a bigger Arimaa website...

On this site, your forum user page would be integrated with your player page.  A stream would list not only your recent games, but also your recent posts and other activity.  New users would only be able to post in the "Say Hello" section of the forum until they have played at least five games.

You would be able to search for games based on what happens in them.  People would classify games in order to earn "Arimaa points."  You could also get Arimaa points by playing games, commenting on games, posting in the forum, watching event games, commentating event games, as well as a bunch of other things.  Players would work towards achievements such as winning a game by elephant blockade or playing at least one game during every day of a week.  Arimaa points would allow players to get better avatars, change the look of the board and pieces, unlock new bots to play, participate in tournaments, and become the player of the day/week/month/year.  Mostly, though, Arimaa points would just be a status thing.  Even Hanzack would want them.

Instead of playing MMORPGs or random Flash games, middle schoolers and high schoolers would login to this Arimaa site during their lunch breaks.  Groups of friends would have subtle competitions to be better at Arimaa than each other, or at least unlock more bots.  After school programs would encourage kids to log into the site and learn how to play.  Jacka's students would love it.  Colleges would have "Chess and Arimaa" clubs.

This site would cater as much to young players as to bot developers.  Humans would stay ahead of bots even though BotMarwin, BotSharp, BotBriarius, BotBadger, and BotHippo would all play better than Chessandgo.  I would be kicked off the list of top one hundred players because so many youngsters would learn to master the tension of having an active but safe camel.  A setup popularized by a teenage girl would become just as common as the 99of9 setup.  The Arimaa champion would be invited to late night talk shows.

Arimaa would become a household name.  Movies and books would use Arimaa to portray characters as intelligent.  (Edge by Jeffrey Deaver is a good book, by the way.)  Beginning Arimaa would be a classic.  J.K. Rowling would write a book in which Hagrid hosts an Arimaa tournament and Ron Weasley's son wins it.  Oh, and best of all, there would be an Arimaa cereal!  It would be similar to Lucky Charms, with gold and silver elephant and camel marshmallows floating around.

Well, that's just my vision.  It was fun to write up at least :]

It was fun to read as well. Would love to see your vision come true. Maybe it will in about 50 years Smiley In the mean time we can make slow and steady progress with gradual improvements to the site.  

And what about Arimaa cookies; something like this, but with the Arimaa animals:

http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/Images/Products/prdLarge_112082.jpg
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.