Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 2:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Minor changes to the chatroom before AWC? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Minor changes to the chatroom before AWC?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Minor changes to the chatroom before AWC?  (Read 1147 times)
leo
Forum Guru

Minor changes to the chatroom before AWC?
« on: Dec 12th, 2011, 4:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Do you guys see minor tweaks on the chatroom that might be good to have before the Championship begins?

The option of a kick command was discussed on the chatroom, a command that would allow some members to kick off the gameroom any player who's forgotten to log off before starting an official game.

Since the chatroom uses the simplest AJAX technology, the command couldn't work quite the same way as in, for instance, IRC, and funny things might happen in some cases such as computer wakeup from sleep, but it should do the job in most cases.

Any ideas?

And how about restricting the access to the chatroom archives to the users who are logged in?

(I won't be very responsive during the next two days for lack of time.)

on Aug 30th, 2011, 3:16pm, Migi wrote:
On a sidenote, it would be great if we could use JSON for all the server-to-client messages.

The current parsing is relatively straightforward because the chatroom protocol is very simple, but for the next version of the chatroom something should be done, you're right.

I'm hoping the next generation of developers (that means you Wink) will muster strengths for the task in 2012 Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011, 4:06pm by leo » IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Re: Minor changes to the chatroom before AWC?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 8:32pm »

I don't know anything about these tools (yet?), but would be willing to learn... I've started with Java over the summer, but that is the extent of my experience for now.

on Dec 12th, 2011, 4:04pm, leo wrote:

And how about restricting the access to the chatroom archives to the users who are logged in?

With the 12-15 minute delay, I like to read the archive after finishing the game, so I have answers ready for some of the comments/questions as soon as I join the chat.  With the delay, I wonder how useful reading the archive could be?

But if others think this is still a security issue, I guess I could wait a few more minutes to read the comments.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 11:03pm »

on Dec 12th, 2011, 8:32pm, Nombril wrote:
With the 12-15 minute delay, I like to read the archive after finishing the game, so I have answers ready for some of the comments/questions as soon as I join the chat.  With the delay, I wonder how useful reading the archive could be?

But if others think this is still a security issue, I guess I could wait a few more minutes to read the comments.

I think the delay is all the security we need.  Allowing everyone instant access to the chat archive, logged in or not, is hardly a vehicle for effective cheating given the twelve-minute delay.  And for the money games, the audio commentary often has better advice than the chat room anyway, so it would be silly to secure the chat when the audio is insecure.  It seems like a non-issue to me.

I like chat just fine as is, but if you are fired up to make improvements, leo, the old idea of integrating a communal analysis board comes to mind.  Hardly a minor tweak, I know.   Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2011, 11:04pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2011, 12:23pm »

(Sorry, I couldn't get back earlier.)
So, only the kick command might be moderately useful. Another option could be a system for the event organizers to send flashing messages into the game clients: "Hey, you've let the chat window open!"

Ha, the communal board is not a minor tweak indeed Wink My dream is to get all the younger software developers to bring all their novel software tools and build the Amazing Arimaa Chatroom 2012. Smiley

Nombril, some online game communities use nifty Java applets but I think that if we want to be HTML5 ready and work on all platforms, Javascript is probably the best choice -- until the technology takes another sharp turn and we're tied to some new next-big-thing Grin
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2011, 1:00pm »

This isn't a minor tweak either, but a translator like Arty implements on iggamecenter.com might be useful if we get more players who don't know English.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.