Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 8:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Beating all bots availible »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Beating all bots availible
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Beating all bots availible  (Read 4213 times)
Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

Beating all bots availible
« on: Apr 27th, 2011, 8:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have now beaten all of the available bots except the ones that take a full two minutes per move (CC) and therefore take hours to play. Could we have a page for the people who have beaten all of the non-CC bots? Sort of a halfway point between the bot ladder and all of the available bots?
Thanks, 722caasi
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

Re: Beating all bots availible
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27th, 2011, 10:17pm »

I can't remember who said it but beating the full ladder doesn't just show skill, it shows determination. I don't believe C&G has beaten all of the bots on the ladder but no one here can argue that he doesn't have skill. Beating the full ladder is an accomplishment more than just being good at a game imo.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 12:18am »

I agree.  If there is going to be an award for beating all the bots except for the bots we consider too boring to be worth playing, then I should have won that award already.  Grin  Once you have beaten the standard bot ladder, you are obviously capable of beating the full ladder.  The listing of those who have beaten every bot available just shows who is sufficiently crazy to have done it.  And if we are giving official recognition to insanity, then let it be for total insanity.  Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2011, 12:19am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 12:37am »

What I am endorsing is a record of achievement with less insanity. The bot ladder ends in 2008, doesn't have an bot with a rating in the 2000's, and doesn't include the lightning bot. I think the bot ladder page is too easy, so I want a page for achievement, but not insanity.
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
JimmSlimm
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6348

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 6:47am »

Little off-topic, but what does CC stand for?
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 6:59am »

Computer Championship

The time controls are sometimes 2min, sometimes 3min, depending on the time controls in effect that year.

The hardware is different, but seeing the difference between bots does give you an idea of how far the development community has come over the last years!
IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 7:04am »

or you could just play 4 at a time, using most of the time doing something else on the computer, thats what i did.
IP Logged
Belteshazzar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5094

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 7:35am »

on Apr 28th, 2011, 12:18am, Fritzlein wrote:
Once you have beaten the standard bot ladder, you are obviously capable of beating the full ladder.

I have beaten the standard bot ladder, but I still feel like I'm a long way from the skill level needed to beat the full ladder.  There are five CC bots which despite trying I still haven't managed to beat, not counting the 2011 ones.  I think the standard bot ladder needs to be updated to be representative of the current field, and should include a few CC bots.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2011, 7:42am by Belteshazzar » IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 11:27am »

The bigger question is.... what happens when new bots get added to the page?  Does everyone that has beaten all bots lose their status again?

This might be a reason to have some sort of tiered system.  Here is an idea - you can do it by year.  If a player has beaten all bots created in that specific year, then they are recognized in a specific list for that year.  That way, when the 2011 bots get added, it won't cause any confusion.

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 11:52am »

on Apr 28th, 2011, 12:37am, 722caasi wrote:
What I am endorsing is a record of achievement with less insanity. The bot ladder ends in 2008, doesn't have an bot with a rating in the 2000's, and doesn't include the lightning bot. I think the bot ladder page is too easy, so I want a page for achievement, but not insanity.

Oh, I support improving the achievement ladder without lengthening it. I would like to see the main bot ladder updated, adding a few bots at the top while thinning out a few old bots.  This would leave a ladder with no more rungs but slightly more spaced out due to moving the top rung higher.  To make the top of the standard bot ladder the true top only requires adding one bot, but I guess I would add about six while removing an equal number.

on Apr 28th, 2011, 11:27am, mistre wrote:
The bigger question is.... what happens when new bots get added to the page?  Does everyone that has beaten all bots lose their status again?

Sure, why not?  Especially if we are updating the bot ladder to include the latest and strongest bots, you should have to re-earn your badge of honor.

As you might have inferred from my comment above, I think the "advanced" ladder is a fairly silly idea in the first place, because it is based on sheer quantity.  I'd rather see Omar's time spent updating/improving the standard ladder as opposed to adding yearly recognition or semi-recognition or otherwise fiddling with the supernumerary ladder.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2011, 11:57am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 12:45pm »

on Apr 28th, 2011, 12:18am, Fritzlein wrote:
 Once you have beaten the standard bot ladder, you are obviously capable of beating the full ladder.

That's not true, the strongest bot in the standard bot ladder is bomb, while the strongest bot in the full bot ladder is Marwin /or Sharp), there is at least a 200 rating points difference between the strongest bots of the ladders.
IP Logged
Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #11 on: Jun 24th, 2011, 9:13am »

hey omar, when are the new bots going to be up and running, i just finished exams and i need a goal Smiley  

and lightvector i'de love it if you have your new sharp play people or at least a good bot just so i can speculate on its new strength Wink
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Jul 9th, 2011, 5:18pm »

on Jun 24th, 2011, 9:13am, Tuks wrote:
hey omar, when are the new bots going to be up and running, i just finished exams and i need a goal Smiley  

and lightvector i'de love it if you have your new sharp play people or at least a good bot just so i can speculate on its new strength Wink

Pretty soon.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 12:23pm »

I have setup the bots from the 2011 computer championship. All bots have P1, P2, CC, Fast and Blitz versions. You can access them from the Advanced Ladder:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/botLadderAll.cgi

Note that even the CC bots won't actually be as strong as the version run during the computer championship because I have reduced the number of threads to 1 and lower memory usage for hash tables.

Also I am using the new timecontrols that will be used in future events:
    2m/6m/100/0/8h/6m - for CC, P1, P2 bots
    30s/3m/100/0/2h/3m - for Fast bots
    15s/2m30s/100/0/1h/2m30s - for Blitz

I have not tested most of the bots, so if you notice any problems please let me know. Use the Contact page rather than the forum message system:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/contact/

Have fun!!
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 2:24pm »

Thanks Omar!

I think those new P2 bots should have started out with a rating of 1800 at least though (if not 1900 on Marwin, Briareus, and Sharp).
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.