Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « hanzack's sandbagged games »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   hanzack's sandbagged games
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hanzack's sandbagged games  (Read 4023 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

hanzack's sandbagged games
« on: Dec 17th, 2011, 6:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

aaaa, brought to my attention that hanzack has been purposely losing rated games against humans now. This will have an impact on the WHR ratings which use HH games. They will be less accurate due to the sandbagged games.

First, this is a notice to hanzack to stop resigning rated games (against humans and bots). If you don't care about your rating just turn on unrated mode and play all your games that way. We count on the cooperation of community members to help maintain a the accuracy of the rating system. That is, we trust them to not purposely try to corrupt the ratings. So please cooperate.

Second, what to do about the existing sandbagged games in the games database. Even though the sandbagged games against the bots don't effect WHR and the damage to the gameroom ratings has already been done, these games also make it hard to analyse the historical games and mess up stats based on these games.

So I am thinking of unrating these games, but they require looking at each game to make sure that hanack purposely lost and did not actually lose. Some of these games are very clear, but others are not. Some help from the community in building a list of games to be unrated would be helpful.  

Also aaaa, mentioned that we might be introducing a bias if we unrate only the games where he purposely lost. A player could play against hanzack knowing that if he loses, then hanzack will resign and the game will be unrated, thus not effecting the players WHR, but if the player wins it will stay rated and help boost the players WHR. So, perhaps we should just unrate all of hanzack's games.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: hanzack's sandbagged games
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2011, 7:30pm »

The simplest solution I can think of is to unrate all his games.  That effectively erases his existence from the ratings system.  Easy on everybody.  As fair as any other solution.  Maybe go so far as to allow his future games to be only unrated, unless he arranges to get permission from you.

What I'm suggesting, now that I read it back, is just short of a ban, since he will be out of the ratings and unable to participate in Events.  This is harsh, but not inappropriate if this is the only fair way to repair the damage he has done to the ratings system.  I am aware people have asked him to stop doing this for over a year, so he should not be completely surprised.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2011, 9:02pm »

A possible sanction that might not be too hard to code up is to set hanzack's unrated flag permanently on.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2011, 9:12pm »

on Dec 17th, 2011, 9:02pm, Fritzlein wrote:
A possible sanction that might not be too hard to code up is to set hanzack's unrated flag permanently on.

I considered this, but then he might continue with a new account. It kind of gets to be a cat and mouse game. I'd rather keep it cats and rabbits Smiley So that's why I am nicely asking hanzack to cooperate in the future and set the unrated flag himself.

But what about the past games. froody's suggestion of a community rating system triggered the idea of allowing the community to vote on allowing a game to stay rated or not. Maybe that might work.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 1:48am »

IMO, the fairest and simplest way to deal with it is to unrate all of Hanzack's past games. After all the only people who can claim honestly not to know about Hanzack's idiosyncrasies are newcomers and their current rating doesn't matter much as it'll change greatly in the future, the others on the other hand went to this perfectly knowing and most likely at least passively complicit of this situation and therefore if their rating changes as a result then those are the breaks. As for Hanzack, making him play unrated until he promises to behave doesn't seem too harsh of a punishment as he has been playing fast and loose with the rating system for as long as I can remember which is a long time indeed.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 1:57am »

Maybe in general there could be some sort of authority (say, Omar plus a few knowledgeable others) who are authorized to agree on a player's "true rating" when necessary for tournament seeding purposes. This might be easier than going back and re-evaluating hundreds of individual games.  

On the other hand, I can see that each game affects the entire WHR system, so this would definitely be a "quick-and-dirty" solution.
IP Logged

rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 7:53am »

You should leave his past event games as rated.  It would be a shame to unrate his games from last year's WC.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2011, 2:48pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2011, 7:53am, rabbits wrote:
You should leave his past event games as rated.  It would be a shame to unrate his games from last year's WC.

I should have been more clear on that. What I had in mind was the rated non-event games. The event games would definitely stay rated.
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28th, 2011, 8:41pm »

on Dec 28th, 2011, 2:48pm, omar wrote:

I should have been more clear on that. What I had in mind was the rated non-event games. The event games would definitely stay rated.

I don't know if you can re-rate(?) the unrated games but I think the easiest solution if this is possible is to unrate all his games and re-rate the event games.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 1:56pm »

Another solution for the games in the past would be to run a bot with goal checking ability on final positions of his games and if there is goal in 1 and more than 15s on clock to finish the game for him Wink. That would probably set his rating to appropriate level and the fun for him with lowering rating would be lost ...
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #10 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 3:19pm »

Thanks for the input everyone. I will be unrating all of hanzack's non-event games. I will regenerate all the archived games files so if anyone else has downloaded them locally, you will need to download them again.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 6:00am »

What about bgt_hanzack?
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 10:23am »

on Jan 8th, 2012, 6:00am, aaaa wrote:
What about bgt_hanzack?

Are you kidding!! I had not noticed this account. I'll unrate these games as well.

hanzack, I know you are a good guy; please don't create unnecessary work for me. I know you don't care about your rating, so just play the games with unrated mode on.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #13 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 10:35am »

I unrated the games for the bgt_hanzack account and regenerated the games archive from 2010.02 to present.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 11:11pm »

on Jan 9th, 2012, 10:23am, omar wrote:
hanzack, I know you are a good guy; please don't create unnecessary work for me. I know you don't care about your rating, so just play the games with unrated mode on.

Omar, hanzack hasn't posted in the forum for half a year.  I think the odds are good he won't read your appeals here.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.