Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Ratings Abuse? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Ratings Abuse?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ratings Abuse?  (Read 1730 times)
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

Ratings Abuse?
« on: Aug 11th, 2012, 2:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/risingStars.cgi
Someone has been creating guest accounts and bashing bots. Sharp2011Blitz has taken the hardest hit. It's rating used to be around 2300 and it's now around 2100. This seems like intentional abuse to me. Should we ignore this, or should something be done about it?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Ratings Abuse?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2012, 7:49pm »

I would vote we do something about it, except that only Omar can stop it (by, for example, finding the offending IP address and blocking it) and Omar recently said "See you in September", implying that he's not around to take care of this kind of stuff in the mean time.  If you want to give it a whirl, send Omar e-mail directly or use the contact page: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/contact/

I wonder what the motivation is?  Assuming this is all one person, they can't want the glory of the top rating, given that they keep starting over.  (Also if they didn't keep starting over, they would eventually not be stealing rating points any more, so the problem would fix itself that way, and not need any intervention.)  Perhaps it is someone who doesn't want to give a genuine e-mail address, so they have to make up a new fake one every time, since they can never be mailed the password to re-login.  But if they never give a genuine e-mail address, there is no way for Omar to contact them to negotiate an end to the ratings distortion.

One way to get around this would be to require a password even for the first login, so that a valid e-mail would have to be given.  But that adds an extra step in the way of the first play that would deter some folks from even trying Arimaa.  The number of clicks to first play is already a bit high, and should be lowered if possible, not raised.

Another way around this is to have all games of guests be unrated automatically.  That seems more reasonable to me.  For the privilege of having a rating, you would need to register and give a real e-mail address.

Probably this serial guest doesn't give a hoot about ratings anyway, and would happily play all these games unrated.  Problem solved.  I don't mind endless unrated botbashing.  I really hope this isn't someone we know under another name who wants to be a nuisance.  I much prefer to think this is someone outside the community who hasn't thought for a second that dragging down bot ratings would be bad for the game room environment.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2012, 8:18pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12th, 2012, 9:46am »

on Aug 11th, 2012, 7:49pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Another way around this is to have all games of guests be unrated automatically.  That seems more reasonable to me.  For the privilege of having a rating, you would need to register and give a real e-mail address.

I vote for this. And in principle the ratings could be recalculated with this rule applied backwards (as they were recalculated in the hanzack case).

I am not sure how much guests increased ratings in usual cases.

I am not sure how to cope with nonserver bots like ziltoid, but seems to me making these games unrated as well is better solution.

I am not sure how the interface would work ... as the bot gets the rated/unrated info (and should specify it when creating a game). I remember that marwin was codded diferently for rated/unrated games.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2012, 9:52am by Hippo » IP Logged

odin73
Forum Guru

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12th, 2012, 4:34pm »

I agree with Fritzlein und Hippo. All guests shoud play in unrated mode. This seems to be the easiest and fastest approach.

Anyway I doubt that the person (I assume that for the highest rated guest accounts, it could be one and the same person) who played games against the best bots neither isn´t already in the community nor a beginner. How to earn the skill to win against such strong bots without training and much exercise in the gameroom?  
I have the impression that the very high rating should somehow discourage a part of the community players. For me the intention of this person may have the taste of something like "come and see how easy it is to win against top bots and to gain a very high rating. I find your (at least of all non-top players of the community) modearate skills and playing style weak. For me it´s easy to gain much rating from your top bots".
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 8:47am »

There is one problem with making guest games unrated. The guests won't be able to play bot ladder games since those have to be rated games; and one of the things I promote to new players is the bot ladder. So instead I'm going to restrict guests to playing games only against bots upto 1500. That still gives about 10 bots on the ladder which they can play against to get a flavor of Arimaa when they first login. After that they will need to create a regular account to continue.

This will help prevent guest accounts from getting on the Rising Stars page; however, this isn't going to stop the rating abuse problem since who ever is doing it can create fake regular accounts and continue playing the higher rated bots. Here we just have to ask who ever is doing it to stop. I've tried to trace who it might be, but the IPs of all the guest accounts are different. They are probably using some anonymizing service.

Also we have to keep in mind that since the release of David Wu's android app, it's possible for new players to come in having lots of practice against a strong bot. So I expect that over time as there are more sources for playing Arimaa outside of the Arimaa gameroom the ratings will decrease gradually. We might eventually have to increase the initial rating of new players to compensate.

IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24th, 2012, 10:52am »

I am sorry but I think that any kind of retribution for something so venial, I mean if there is any harm done we can't even define what it is, would be far worse than the problem it would supposedly fix. Why be so vindictive as a first reflex to any kind of eccentricity around here. Had we followed that kind of policy in the past, we may have discouraged our current world champion from playing any further and the world of Arimaa would have suffered a great loss. Fritz, you of all people should know better than that. If there ever was someone whom I knew to be willing to beat his swords to plowshares, that someone would be you. So let's all quit the warpath and bury the hatchet, and  not in someone's head for once.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.