Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Autopostal Automatic Pairing Spam »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Autopostal Automatic Pairing Spam
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Autopostal Automatic Pairing Spam  (Read 2587 times)
mwest
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #2482

Autopostal Automatic Pairing Spam
« on: Apr 19th, 2013, 6:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I was about to report a bug in the "Automatic Pairing" e-mails after having received 4 e-mails in the last 4 hours for a match against the same opponent (Kevin Pettifer - turtle). The timing of the mails was 10:08, 11:08, 12:08 and 13:08 (local time is GMT+2) - with me being Silver I couldn't understand why cause there was nothing for me to do...

However, closer inspection of the game URLs revealed that each had a unique gameid:

So I guess what's actually happening is that turtle is repeatedly cancelling the match and then the system is matching us up again an hour later?

*Edit: Fixed a spelling error and made nicer URLs.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2013, 2:26pm by mwest » IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Re: Autopostal Automatic Pairing Spam
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2013, 10:38am »

I just had a similar situation with 6 started games over the night with the same player.  I reached the same conclusion as you, and after narrowing the desired score range stopped getting new games.

With the smaller range, I don't get any games, probably there are fewer people looking for postal games with the mixer recently starting.

I don't know if this can be easily fixed or not.
IP Logged

mwest
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #2482

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2013, 2:39pm »

I guess it could be as simple as blacklisting a player for auto-matching after a couple of rejected matches, with the blacklisting being cleared out after a few hours / days.

However, sitting at work after 21:30 on a Friday night to pull the first in a series of all-nighters on my boss's 3 line requirement, I'm also pretty confident that the above is much easier said than done Tongue!

So I'll just reduce my desired score range and number of games for now... thanks for the advice.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27th, 2013, 8:44am »

Interesting problem. I had not considered this situation. I just made some changes to the pairing program to prevent matches that had recently been paired. Let me know if it doesn't work.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27th, 2013, 12:46pm »

on Apr 27th, 2013, 8:44am, omar wrote:
Interesting problem. I had not considered this situation. I just made some changes to the pairing program to prevent matches that had recently been paired. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Omar, thanks for fixing this.   If I understand correctly, you have just formalized the ability to pick one's opponents in AutoPostal matches.  If I took this principle to the extreme, I could sign up for one AutoPostal game with a wide rating range and quit all my games until I got paired with the one opponent that I wanted to play.

I am not opposed to having the system work this way, but if that is how it works, AutoPostal games should definitely not be "event" games.  Using WHRE to seed tournaments when WHRE includes games against hand-picked opponents would then be no better than using WHRH ratings, and we might as well abolish the WHRE.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2013, 12:47pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: May 18th, 2013, 7:59am »

They show up under 'Event Games' in the gameroom because the 'event' field is set to "Auto Postal" instead of the usual "Casual Game". However there is another field called 'eventgame' which is still set to zero for these games. So these games should not be effecting the WHRE ratings. Maybe woh can double check and let us know.
IP Logged
woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #6 on: May 20th, 2013, 3:58am »

The AutoPostal games are included in the WHRE rankings.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 20th, 2013, 10:23am »

on May 20th, 2013, 3:58am, woh wrote:
The AutoPostal games are included in the WHRE rankings.

I thought so, given that Alfons had the #2 seed in the 2013 World Championship, and his claim to fame was primarily AutoPostal games.

on May 18th, 2013, 7:59am, omar wrote:
They show up under 'Event Games' in the gameroom because the 'event' field is set to "Auto Postal" instead of the usual "Casual Game". However there is another field called 'eventgame' which is still set to zero for these games. So these games should not be effecting the WHRE ratings. Maybe woh can double check and let us know.

Well, that sounds like an official ruling that AutoPostal does not belong in WHRE.  Woh, is it easy to recalculate the WHRE excluding the AutoPostal?
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #8 on: May 20th, 2013, 3:40pm »

I've updated the rankings excluding the AutoPostal games.  
This has shortened the list quite a bit. Only about 1 in 4 players remain on the list.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 20th, 2013, 4:20pm »

Thanks, woh.  I think that makes WHRE closer to its intended meaning, albeit still far from perfect.
IP Logged

harvestsnow
Forum Guru

« Reply #10 on: May 22nd, 2013, 3:56pm »

The selectPostal.cgi page should be updated too. As it stands, it says
"These games count as event games and effect your WHR and WHRE ratings in addition to your gameroom ratings."
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.